Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why don't the Warriors move to San Francisco?

Why don't they move to San Francisco or at least call themselves the San Francisco Warriors? They are literally within 10 miles of the city where they are located right now. After all, they were called the San Francisco Warriors back in 71'.

At this point, they want to get in on acquiring big name stars like Howard and the value of having a name like Golden State is really killing them at this point. It'd be much more beneficial for them to go with a name like San Francisco, it holds much more value.

Actually, I think Golden State is the only nickname for a pro sports team, it's weird. But whatever, I feel like that name is holding a player back from being like, 'I wanna play in a big city and market', 'I'll play in San Francisco'.

They shouldnt move they have the best fans...

Quote Originally Posted by HouRealCoach View Post
    They shouldnt move they have the best fans...
    ....?

You realize that San Francisco is like a 20 minute drive from Oakland, right?

It's not like they'd be moving across the state.

The stadium is in Oakland, they probably get a lot of tax dollars playing there. San Francisco probably does not have a NBA caliber stadium to handle them.

Why should they..their fan base is pretty strong and they're in a pretty good market.. They just need to win to get more national recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    Why don't they move to San Francisco or at least call themselves the San Francisco Warriors? They are literally within 10 miles of the city where they are located right now. After all, they were called the San Francisco Warriors back in 71'.

At this point, they want to get in on acquiring big name stars like Howard and the value of having a name like Golden State is really killing them at this point. It'd be much more beneficial for them to go with a name like San Francisco, it holds much more value.

Actually, I think Golden State is the only nickname for a pro sports team, it's weird. But whatever, I feel like that name is holding a player back from being like, 'I wanna play in a big city and market', 'I'll play in San Francisco'.
    I think you're underestimating what the entire metro area has to offer in general, its a huge metro area and a big market, and no player is confused about Golden State not also being SF's team. It is not "killing them".

All your post is really saying is that you don't know anything about the Bay Area or some of the best sports fans in the country at all.

Don't really have to, and why build an arena for hundreds of millions when your so close to SF anyways?

building permits are sorta iffy in san frnacisco, and there isnt a stadium ready to go so it would take a lot of work

props to sfgiants5518 for the sports userbar.props to vick for other user bar.

I've been hearing rumblings and rumors that the Warriors new owner ( Lacob ) wants a new stadium in SF... I think it's a great idea ( I'm biased, I live in SF )...
    Last edited by GSRaider; 03-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.

If anything, they should call themselves the Oakland Warriors. They don't play in SF. They aren't based in SF, their headquarters is downtown Oakland atop the Oakland Convention Center.

Secondly, the city/county of San Francisco does not have a modern, conveniently accessible NBA sports facility. They'd probably have to play in the Cow Palace again, which is a crappy place for NBA games, if you ask me. The Oakland Arena is accessible via freeway (Interstate 880, a major artery, runs right by it), mass public transportation (the BART train system, which moves hundreds of thousands of passengers every day, has a convenient stop at the Oakland Coliseum/Arena), AND an international airport (OAK airport is a short 2-3 minute drive away, which makes it easy for visiting teams to get in and get out of the city).

Third, and most important, the media market is SF Bay Area. That includes Oakland and several other cities. They wouldn't be moving markets by crossing the Bay Bridge.

In short...don't get me wrong, SF is a great city, but there is a reason why the Niners are moving to Santa Clara. SF isn't one of those cities/counties that has to bend over backwards to accommodate a sports franchise...and they rarely do. (And before anyone mentions the Giants ballpark, do your research first. That stadium was financed primarily by corporate sponsors, not the City/County of SF.)

The reason they are GOLDEN STATE is so that includes San Francisco and Oakland. Those cities are within minutes of each other so really it doesn't matter
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    Jimmer still being BLACK BALLED by the illuminati/homeboys...
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    If Jimmer were to be given free reign offensively, the team would basically quit on the organization out of jealousy and envy. The white man is the minority in this game and the black players will be damned if the white man shows him up at his own game. Similar situation happening with Kevin Love, the team has to surround him with foreigners and whites because black players won't succumb to the greatness that is Kevin Love.

Why don't the Jets and Giants call themselves the New Jersey Jets and Giants? They haven't played in New York in over 30 years. Not another city, but they actually moved out of the state, entirely.

Warriors will eventually move to San Francisco. Warriors and Giants were talking about building a new arena right next door to AT&T Park. It will take a couple of years, but it will eventually happen. The Warriors owner, Lacob already stated interest in moving the team to San Francisco a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    If anything, they should call themselves the Oakland Warriors. They don't play in SF. They aren't based in SF, their headquarters is downtown Oakland atop the Oakland Convention Center.

Secondly, the city/county of San Francisco does not have a modern, conveniently accessible NBA sports facility. They'd probably have to play in the Cow Palace again, which is a crappy place for NBA games, if you ask me. The Oakland Arena is accessible via freeway (Interstate 880, a major artery, runs right by it), mass public transportation (the BART train system, which moves hundreds of thousands of passengers every day, has a convenient stop at the Oakland Coliseum/Arena), AND an international airport (OAK airport is a short 2-3 minute drive away, which makes it easy for visiting teams to get in and get out of the city).

Third, and most important, the media market is SF Bay Area. That includes Oakland and several other cities. They wouldn't be moving markets by crossing the Bay Bridge.

In short...don't get me wrong, SF is a great city, but there is a reason why the Niners are moving to Santa Clara. SF isn't one of those cities/counties that has to bend over backwards to accommodate a sports franchise...and they rarely do. (And before anyone mentions the Giants ballpark, do your research first. That stadium was financed primarily by corporate sponsors, not the City/County of SF.)
    And this is why your detail says, "Legend".

They should just move to Golden State and build a Arena their. The person who buys the Hornets should also buy the Coyotes move both to California.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast