Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hechavarria to get look at 2B

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Blue Jays manager John Farrell announced Wednesday that Adeiny Hechavarria will practice at second base this week and play in games throughout Spring Training in preparation for a possible promotion to the Major Leagues this season.

"That doesn't mean we're looking to move him, but in the event that we need some flexibility, he's our premier defender in the Minor Leagues, so we're going to get him some reps at second base," Farrell said. "But we still view him as a long-term and an elite type of shortstop."

Farrell said the organization would promote Hechavarria during the regular season if a middle infielder is placed on the disabled list. Hechavarria is the No. 16 prospect in the Blue Jays' system.
    Farrell was able to get a close-up view of the highly regarded prospect while tossing batting practice a couple days ago.

"The one thing you see right now, he just looks stronger," Farrell said. "Throwing batting practice the other day, you get that rare vision of him from the mound. This year, there's a little bit more authority with the swing than a year ago. Even meeting with him today -- we did his one-on-one meeting with him today -- he talked about the difference [between] his offseason this year compared to last season leading up to Spring Training."

Hechavarria has steadily climbed the ladder in the Minor Leagues the last two years, compiling a .248 batting average in 172 games with Double-A New Hampshire from 2010-11 and a .389 batting average in 25 games with Triple-A Las Vegas in 2011.

"He was receptive to it, but he's got work to do there," said Farrell, who was told by Hechavarria that he was 15 the last time he played the position. "That's why he'll get some reps there throughout Spring Training and in games."

Farrell said having 23-year veteran Omar Vizquel in camp has been beneficial to Hechavarria's learning curve this spring.

"Not just his skill set, but his experience level was one of the things we talked about before bringing him in," Farrell said of Vizquel. "He's willing and wanting to impart his experience. There's a lot of conversation going on, not just with Yunel [Escobar] and [Hechavarria], but with everyone in camp."

Farrell also said Hechavarria would be cleared to play with the big league club when the time comes, after finding out from Hechavarria about a month ago that the 22-year-old Cuban defector had received proper documentation. The Blue Jays attempted to bring Hechavarria to the team's rookie program in January, but he was still prohibited.

The team will confirm Hechavarria's status over the next week.
    What are your thoughts about the Jays using Hech as a 2B? What does this mean for Kelly Johnson?

thats been talked alot here before and i agree with trying Hech at 2nd.
    We have a good under control for a long time Shortstop in Yunel so Hech i think is blocked at SS (unless one is traded) But i like Yunel's progress since coming here and the structure of his contract is club friendly that it is wise to use him as our SS for years to come.

besides i dont think we have any legit 2nd base Prospect on the radar so might aswell try this one out.

Personally I think Hech would fare better at SS to cover more gaps, but Yunel is the vet so I guess you throw Hech at 2b...I guess if he comes through, this will likely be the last year for KJ.

I think if Hech makes it as an everyday major leaguer, co-existing in an infield with Yunel, Yunel should be the guy moving to 2B. I understand that SS is Yunel's position for now and Hech can take 2B if he comes up as a call-up this year, but if this is going to be a long term pairing, it should probably be with Hech at SS.

That said- I still feel that (again, if Hech's bat improves enough to make him a serviceable everyday middle infielder) there is more value in trading one of Hech/Yunel than keeping both.

We all know that Hech can field 2nd base (and really well at that), the only issue will be his value offensively. If he was struggling to be an average SS offensively, than his offense at second base will be a huge negative. It would probably be better to move Yunel to 2nd base, however, you do ruin a lot of his value

They're just making Hech mor flexible.... if his bat doesn't improve this year than its quite possible Hech is gonna make his living as a Jmac/Mccoy back up infielder type. If that is the case he is gonna have to learn how to play 3B and 2B.

Why are we willing to replace Kelly with Hech next season already? I never realized this until today but both Johnson and Escobar played a few years together in Atlanta resulting in both players having career years there.

I think it will be a good season for both guys forcing the hand of AA into handing out a contract to Kelly for a few more years.

At this point Hech would be a serious decline over Johnson

Would it be more efficient to move Yunel to 2B?

I can get on board with this. If Johnston gets hurt I'd rather see Hech get some major league experience filling in than have to watch McCoy try to fill that void. I don't think it hurts anything to have him get comfortable with the position and add some versatility to his resume. It's not like doing this means the Jays are committing to him as their full time second baseman for years and years to come.

I remember AA mentioned Hech's true value is at SS on Fan 590. I really hope he can continue to improve upon his offense then we'll have a good problem to worry about; otherwise, we'll end up with a super utility guy.

In case of injury, he needs to have some experience if needed at either 2B or 3B.

I wouldn't mind us locking up Kelly Johnson for a couple years and trading Hech.

What we really should do is trade Hech in a package for a young stud 2nd baseman. I don't see Hech as a long term solution anywhere on the field with his bat. He could be amazing on defense, but we need another bat in our lineup.
    TAKE PRIDE

Quote Originally Posted by craigerlee View Post
    I wouldn't mind us locking up Kelly Johnson for a couple years and trading Hech.
    I think KJ will want a minimum of 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejayfandan View Post
    what we really should do is trade hech in a package for a young stud 2nd baseman. I don't see hech as a long term solution anywhere on the field with his bat. He could be amazing on defense, but we need another bat in our lineup.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast