Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Derrick Rose: "I can dance. But there’s a time and place for that"

OK. So if it isn't at the AS Game...where and when is it?

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-...-all-star-game

Local rap group BBU scored a viral hit in 2009 with a song titled "Chi Don't Dance", words Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose apparently takes very literally.

As it became clear Rose would start his first All-Star Game a season ago, much of the hype leading up to the affair centered on the Eastern Conference's starting lineup introductions. Specifically: with the team being led by charismatic perennial All-Stars LeBron James and Dwight Howard, the East had a bit of a reputation for getting jiggy with it when the lights went dim and the smoke machines were turned on just before tip-off. This baby definitely knows what I'm talking about. But when Rose was pressed on the issue in the weeks leading up to the game, he made it very clear he was certifiably dreading the moment with a series of very candid and very hilarious quotes. The occasion came and went and Derrick remained statue still -- not even a smile, much less a quick hip pop.

On Sunday, Rose made his second All-Star start. The world waited anxiously: would Chicago's homegrown superstar cut a rug and throw the deuce up in the sky just for the shutterbuggs? In a word, no.

As LeBron and Co. basked in the spotlight, Rose......just stood there, waived, and made the same face he always makes.

As we noted on Friday, the All-Star experience is a joyless one for our business-or-bust Bulls. I think it's funny and great, but some other high-volume NBA observers were less pleased. SB Nation NBA czar Tom Ziller fired off a series of tweets in the moment condemning Rose for his clear dissent towards fun. Meant to be read from the bottom-up.

Because this is a Very Important Issue, D. Rose was asked about dancing after the game by the Tribune's K.C. Johnson. His response was amazing.

"I can dance. But there’s a time and place for that. And I don’t think that it was then and there."
    Click the link for pictures, and a GIF.

Such a non-issue, but I'm excited to see both sides fight over this like it's the most important issue. He's either the greatest leader of all time because he doesn't dance at the all-star game, and doesn't want to put on a show...or it's silly of him not to want to put on a show, it's lame of him not to want to have a little fun and act like a human, and it sucks seeing him so uncomfortable with having fun.

Ding, ding, ding! Fight!
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

I knew this would come up. I was watching the game with over 20 people and everyone agreed that Rose was the only one not looking stupid. Having fun is one thing, but come on. I thought it was dumb as hell last year too. Just made me respect Rose more for some reason. No matter what he seems to take the game serious.

He just didn't want to look stupid in public I would have done the same thing.

An All-Star game isnt the time and place? The kid just isnt charismatic, no shame in that, hes all business and we dont watch him to dance anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by xsilencerx View Post
    He just didn't want to look stupid in public I would have done the same thing.
    Why would he look stupid? Is he that bad of a dancer?

That's Roses attitude, I'd rather him be himself than dance around like a clown, he's all business and really doesn't care what people think about it, you could tell he was annoyed by it

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Why would he look stupid?
    IDK if you go back and watch just the way Bron look makes him look goofy IMO.

He and Kobe are very similar. It's not in their personality to do that in public.

Can't fault him for not wanting to dance with his eastern conference enemies but I hope he'll eventually be able to loosen up and have fun on allstar weekend cause it's meant to be lighthearted and fun.

I respect the kid who's 'all business', sure ASG is supposed to be fun, but can't hold it against someone for acting professionally at their job, even just it's the NBA version of the xmas office party.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    OK. So if it isn't at the AS Game...where and when is it?
    Grant Park shortly after the parade route is completed.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

I thought he could've at least smiled and raised his arm to give a little wave to the crowd or something (probably what I would've done). He seems to be a boring/quiet/to himself personality but that's something you can't really blame him for, it's just him....some people are just like that but it's not often that you see those people in the NBA. Guy just wants to play basketball...that's it.

He's probably boring as hell to chill with lol
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 02-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.

The AS Game is an exhibition. The fans want a show. Since when is dancing stupid, of foul, or wrong? It isn't.

However, the only point here is that it just isn't his personality to be charismatic. That's really all it is. It isn't him being holier-than-everyone else. It isn't him being a Debbie-downer who doesn't want to have fun...it's just him being him.

He's not a hero, and he's not a villain here. That's really all it is. But it's fun to see people think otherwise.

He could have at least smiled, and looked happy to be there. But again, I don't care. He's Derrick...
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    An All-Star game isnt the time and place? The kid just isnt charismatic, no shame in that, hes all business and we dont watch him to dance anyways.
    Very true.

I don't care that he didn't want dance, but that WAS the time and place for it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast