Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Deron Williams a superstar?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

38 50.67%
  • No.

37 49.33%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is Deron Williams a Superstar?

This is slightly redundant with JB's "Did Jerry Sloan's system make Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer?" thread; so if the Mods feel that it must be merged, go for it.

As a Nets fan, when Billy King traded for Deron Williams, I was ecstatic. I was of the opinion that they had acquired an elite-level player -- a superstar, if you will. The Nets had pursued Carmelo Anthony for so long and I believed that they had ended up with a superior player. I questioned how much King gave up, but I concluded that it was sufficient for getting a top-10 player. The way I looked at it: As long as the Nets were able to get Williams to resign with the team, the trade was a fair one. Plus, if Williams was able to attract another star player (see: Howard, Dwight) then the trade became a winning one. However, recently, I began to question my previous assessment of Williams as a player.

Prior to the Nets acquiring Williams, I thought of him as a top-10 player. A player who had the ability to make those around him dramatically better. After watching him last season -- granted: he was playing well below 100% with an injury to his shooting wrist -- and so far this season, I have to say that I'm beginning to think that he's not a top-10 player. Obviously, the sample size is way too small, but so far this season, his win-shares are negative. No matter how bad a superstar's supporting cast is, there is no explanation for those numbers.

Is it possible -- as JB and many other people have suggested -- that Williams was, somewhat, a product of Jerry Sloan's system; just as Boozer was? That's not to say that he's an below average (or even just average) player outside of Sloan's system. Instead, it means that his production was bolstered by the system.

From what I've seen, I'm beginning to gravitate towards that line of reasoning. I've watched every Nets game that he's played in and he only impressed me a few times. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that this season, he hasn't even been the best player on the Nets -- and that's with Brook Lopez out of the lineup. He's getting outplayed by MarShon Brooks. A rookie. Now, I don't believe that Brooks is the superior player; however, the fact that he hasn't even been the best player on a putrid Nets team, seriously leads me to question his status as an elite player.

I'm just curious to hear what the general public of PSD thinks. Do we think that Deron Williams is an elite player? Did you think (as I did) that he was an elite player in Utah and have since changed your mind? Or did you always believe that he was overrated?

*Note: I still believe that Deron Williams will resign with the Nets and that Dwight Howard will join him. It should also be noted that I'm not the type to be optimistic. I've often be deemed as a pessimist by other Nets fans. I've also been insulted by other Nets fans because I'm "too objective." So when I say this, it's not because I'm a fan of the team, but because it's my objective assessment of the situation (referring to the Howard and Williams dynamic). I think that some posters in the Nets forum can confirm that, if they read this thread.

I think Dwill is an awesome player. He is surrounded with very little talent though.

That being said... If you were to put Lebron, Wade, or even a 33 year old Kobe on this team, they would be better than what they are right now imo. Those guys are just a small sample of "superstars" in this league, whenever they're on the court they often give you at least a chance to win (insert Lebron joke here________). But honestly, they give you an amazing shot to win every night.

Dwill's play is pretty awful this year. So I can't put him into the category of superstar with the Lebron's, Wade's, Kobe's, Rose's, Dirk's. Howard's, Paul George's etc.

Hope he turns it around though

Enough with the D-Will threads already. The guy is playing on a bad team so I'm not shocked he's struggling.

And to answer your question YES HE IS.

Deron Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockice_8 View Post
    Enough with the D-Will threads already. The guy is playing on a bad team so I'm not shocked he's struggling.

And to answer your question YES HE IS.
    Too many Dwil threads yes, although no ones forcing you to participate in them.

I will say there are alot of superstars that have played on bad teams and not put up such horrible numbers, not sure thats the only reason and excuse.

He's shot 34% since coming to NJ last year, thats just beyond awful. The sample size is getting bigger and bigger, you can't just call it a slump anymore, he's definitely regressed.

At this point I'll say no, but he's young enough to get back to that level.

When your playing on a team fulled with D Leaguers...You wont look like a superstar!

Considering he is the 2nd/3rd best PG in the league only behind CP3 and maybe Rose, yes, he is a super star.

Im a big fan of Deron, way back from when he used to play with the Illini, but No he is not a superstar yet, a star yes, but not a superstar.
    Last edited by eddiev22; 01-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.

borderline

Knicks Are Back

in my eye, there is only like 5 superstars in the nba, and he is not one of them.

Idk whats wrong with him. The nets suck, he should be putting up career numbers in scoring, carrying the load. It doesn't matter that defenses would key in on him. If you are a great player on a ****** team, you should be scoring at a career high.

Quote Originally Posted by NYK_kidd77 View Post
    Lol how can you guys hate the knicks thats like going to the special olympics and booing.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiev22 View Post
    Im a big fan of Deron, way back from the Illini days, but No he is not a superstar yet, a star yes, but not a superstar.
    i hate this.

youre either a star or not. there isnt a difference

no
    ONCE A KNICK ALWAYS A KNICK ALLSTAR 2013@KnicksBrooklyn

I consider him a legit allstar.. dont know if he is in superstar territories.

Quote Originally Posted by thenetslegend View Post
    i hate this.

youre either a star or not. there isnt a difference
    there is a diff. for example just because chris bosh is an allstar it doesnt make him a super star

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast