Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece

New owner will mean new name, logo for Hornets soon

“Hornets” is not a name that fits with New Orleans.

It was a leftover from when George Shinn moved his team from Charlotte — a city nicknamed “the hornets’ nest” — but “Hornets” goes together with the spirit of New Orleans about as much as tacos go with gumbo.

New Hornets owner Tom Benson is a New Orleans native who gets the city. And you can put him on the list of people who wants a new name for the team. Tomorrow. Which is all that matters. Here is what Benson told the Times-Picayune:

“We need to find a name like (Jazz),” Benson said, referring to New Orleans first NBA team that relocated to Salt Lake City in 1979. “Whether we can get that or let us use that, you’ve got to know we’re working on it. We’d like to change it tomorrow. We have not gotten that approved, but we’re not letting up on it, either. Because we’ve got a good relationship with the commissioner and his people and we’re going to be on them daily to do something.”

At this point, Jazz is not going to happen, even though that name fits in Utah about as well as a crawfish boil. Look, Lakers fits a whole lot better in Minnesota than it does Los Angeles but they’re not giving it up either.

But there are a host of other potential names that can work and you can bet in a couple years Benson will have the Hornets called something appropriate.

And you know, that black and gold color scheme of the saints would look cool on an NBA uniform. Just sayin’.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-hornets-soon/

Is there any chance we can get the name back if this happens?

A Hornets fan (if any of you are members of a Bobcats fan forum and read that thread where some guy said he got a logo for the new New Orleans franchise from his cousin who worked in some department or something, that's a lie, the guy who made that logo, who has nothing to do with the Hornets, did this one) made this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tteHornets.png

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tteHornets.png
    Last edited by NBA_Starter; 04-15-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Those uni's are sick. If we could get back the Hornets moniker those jerseys with them would be perfect

I would love to see Charlotte get the Hornets name back.

It would be awesome if the Hornets name came back to Charlotte!

#1 pick + Hornets back in Charlotte... That would be awesome! Get it done Jordan!
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    (Topic: Pat Riley)Yeah snorting coke off of Lebron James thigh obviously makes you crazy.

I have to wonder if he would be willing to spend the money to change everything from the Bobcats to Hornets. That would be a shiny penny.

I think if it is an option then he kind of has to. Could you imagine how good it would feel to have the Hornets name back? It might help light a fire in the fan base again

I agree it would be awesome, but would MJ invest that much money into an organization which is already losing a lot of money? Just a though, and I do see your point where it could light a fire under the fan base (which would do a lot). We'll just have to see (fingers crossed).

I hope money doesnt become an issue. Only good can come from getting the Hornets name back

well that makes it hard on me if Hornets does go back to Charlotte as i followed the Hornets name :/

I want to say follow the name. But if NO keeps the history, thats the team that you have been following, not the name. You would have to stay with NO

I would love to have the name back as well and think it would create excitement.

But just playing devil's advocate, do you think it will put more people in the seats? Meaning it would help in recovering for the cost of the named change.

I think it would. I dont live in Charlotte, but the family i have there tells me that the city never really embraced the "Bobcats". People miss the Hornets. I think getting the name back will bring back a sense of excitement with the fans

I was originally a Charlotte Hornets fan though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast