Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Why Has Manu Ginobili Never Played More than 31 Minutes/Game?

Ginobili is one of my favorite players (even though I am a Maverick fan) and I just can't understand why 9 seasons, he has never averaged more than 31 minutes a game for the entire season.

1.) Why do you think he hasn't played more than 31 minutes per game for an entire season?

2.) What do you think his career stats would be if he averaged 36 minutes? (I don't like per 36 minute adjustments)

3.) Which young player would you say his game is similar to? (Stephen Curry?)

He gets injured a ton with the style he plays, Pop is smart for limiting his minutes, because IMO I don't think he would've lasted this long had he been playing upwards toward 40mpg

The Spurs have always been deep in the 2-Guard position. First it was Roger Mason Jr, then George Hill. If I had to guess I would say he'd play over 31 minutes a game with both of their departures. He is 34 or 35 now and he plays good for his age.
    Yeah.

A Popps nuance. For almost half his career he's been coming off the bench for whatever reason. They've always been loaded at the wing in terms of depth...and Popps likes to try different things. Some of it has to do with his durability, but I think the bulk of it just has to do with how the coach coaches.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

He isn't capable of logging 36 minutes plus for seasons on end. playing him for two and 1/2 quarters a game keeps him fresh, most effective, and less likely to get injured. it's important to note that he has passed 31 minutes a game during the playoffs on several occasions.

Because he's the perfect 6th man.

Like manram said, a lot of it has to do with coaching style. When he was coming off the bench, it was because they needed someone capable of running the offense when Parker wasn't in there. They never really had a good back up for Parker until George Hill showed up. Pop likes to spread the floor, so someone who's a good slasher to run the offense (Parker, Hill, Ginobili) surrounded by shooters with Duncan down low has been the formula for his whole career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

Pops runs his units a certain way, hell he has only played abour 32 mpg career wise in the playoffs too.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I never understood why either, obviously he wants to keep him fresh and keep his mileage low due to his constant FIBA commitment but that still seems low to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    He isn't capable of logging 36 minutes plus for seasons on end. playing him for two and 1/2 quarters a game keeps him fresh, most effective, and less likely to get injured. it's important to note that he has passed 31 minutes a game during the playoffs on several occasions.
    He just played the most minutes he ever has at age 33, you dont think he could have logged a few more in his youth?

Exactly as most others have said. It makes the team stronger having someone who can run the floor besides Parker coming off the bench.