Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does the Clock keep running sometimes after out of bounds?

I have seen it in a few games, but I THOUGHT no matter what if the balls goes out of bounds, the clock stops.

Earlier in the year I noticed it kept running in a critical moment, as well as yesterday JETS v BILLS game the runner was pushed out of bounds and it kept running..

Am I missing something?

i think if there's contact in bounds and you go out it doesn't stop.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

I thought they recently changed it to a moving clock until 2 minutes left
    Go Knicks!

All time

^this
    ...Russell Westbrook is a chucker

Russell Westbrook's response, "If das whacha say bruh"

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    I thought they recently changed it to a moving clock until 2 minutes left
    It still seems inconsistent though. I swear there are times still wear the clock stops after the runner goes out of bounds, before the 2 minute mark.

Am I wrong here?

no you're not wrong at all...i know what you're saying...there's time when i runner goes out of bounds under the 2 minute warning and the clock runs off 2 more seconds

Ya Michael bush. Yesterday before half they screwed us ot of 4 seconds

props to sfgiants5518 for the sports userbar.props to vick for other user bar.

The clock only stops in the 4th and 2nd quarters.

The clock stopping is good for the offense, therefore the offense is required to earn it. If the defense forces the runner out of bounds, the clock continues to move. Only if the runner gets himself out of bounds does the clock stop running. This has always been the rule as far as I know.

^ no he's not asking about the rule..we know what the rule is...we're talking about when a runner goes out of bounds by himself and some time still goes off the clock then it stops...it happens with timeouts also...i remember in a cowboy game romo called time out and the clock ran off another 2 seconds

but yes when you are forced out the clock is to continue moving...but even at that ive seen the clock stop sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by spurs4#5 View Post
    ^ no he's not asking about the rule..we know what the rule is...we're talking about when a runner goes out of bounds by himself and some time still goes off the clock then it stops...it happens with timeouts also...i remember in a cowboy game romo called time out and the clock ran off another 2 seconds
    That's just the clock operator being ******..

Dallas Mavericks GM
    2000-2001 - 50-32 (Conf. Semis)
    2001-2002 - 54-28 *Division Champs (Conf. Finals)
    2002-2003 - 63-19 *Division Champs (NBA Finals)
    2003-2004 - 63-19 *Division Champs (Conf. Finals)
    2004-2005 - 70-12 *Division Champs (Conf. Semis)
    2005-2006 - 23-59
    2006-2007 - 18-64
    2007-2008 - 47-35
    2008-2009 - 49-33
    2009-2010 - 61-22 *Division Champs (NBA Finals)
    2010-2011 - 61-22 *Division Champs (NBA Champs!)

Quote Originally Posted by carter15 View Post
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by carter15 View Post
    ^ Bingo. The rule is the rule. WHy is the rule not followed sometimes? Because humans are involved.

i thought i was trippin out too,i was thinking the same thing and iv never noticed any other year.thanks for clearing up the part about 2 minutes.never knew that rule

This doesnt help...
    TIMING

Games are divided into four 15-minute quarters, separated by a 12-minute break at halftime. There are also 2-minute breaks at the end of the first and third quarters as teams change ends of the field after every 15 minutes of play. At the end of the first and third quarters, the team with the ball retains possession heading into the following quarter. That is not the case before halftime. The second half starts with a kickoff in the same way as the game began in the first quarter.

Each offensive team has 40 seconds from the end of a given play until they must snap of the ball for the start of the next play, otherwise they will be penalized.

The clock stops at the end of incomplete passing plays, when a player goes out of bounds, or when a penalty is called. The clock starts again when the ball is re-spotted by an official.

If a game is tied at the end of regulation, a 15-minute overtime period will be played. In the NFL, this is sudden death and the first team to score wins. Possession is determined before the period begins by a coin toss.
    http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast