Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeff Green: "I can really ****ing play this game, man"

Jeff Green told the Boston Herald that he thinks Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook sort of overshadowed him and therefore didnít allow the world to see his full cupboard of talent. And even added an (expletive) for emphasis.

ďYeah, man, you know a lot of people donít know what I can really do,Ē he said. ďIn Oklahoma, I was kind of overshadowed by Kevin (Durant) and the way Russell (Westbrook) picked up, but, excuse my language, I can really (expletive) play. I can really play this game, man.Ē

So letís evaluate these comments. Can Jeff Green really (expletive) play? If weíre talking about professional basketball, then I think he might need to take a step back.

Look, Jeff Greenís a really good basketball player. Versatile, skilled, athletic, smart ó heís got a ton of tools. Heís just perpetually caught in between positions. So much that it might put his success and career in the NBA in jeopardy. Itís one thing to be a really good player, but if you donít have a place on the floor and therefore a role, what value do you have to a team? You have to be able to fill a need and spot. You have to produce. And while that has everything to do with your ability to really (expletive) play, it also kind of has nothing to do with, if you know what I mean.

Green was clearly overshadowed in OKC because of Durant and Westbrook and I always thought that was one of his strongest qualities. He had no issue in playing his role and quietly doing his job. He never stepped out of character to try and gather a little attention and spotlight for himself. The way he handled himself and his business in Oklahoma City was admirable. And Jeff Green will forever be one of my favorite players ever because of it.

But he just didnít have the capabilities to do his job to the level the Thunder needed. He couldnít rebound as a 4. Couldnít defend that position. Couldnít stretch the floor with a consistent outside jumper. Never really took advantage of other power forwards with his athleticism. Despite possessing some solid post skill, he never used much of it. Green was always just kind of there. A night of 15 points, five rebounds and three assists was the usual for Uncle Jeff. Good, but not good in the right ways.

Heís clearly frustrated with his lot right now because he didnít find himself in a role he could flourish in Boston. While he was out of position in OKC, he was very much in the right one (as much as he can be) with the Celtics, but was forced to try and milk everything he could out of 20 minutes a night behind Paul Pierce. Thatís difficult for anyone.

Itís a contract year for Green as heís a restricted free agent and heís understandably upset with how last season went. He knows he can play. Heís a really good basketball player. But he has yet to find that spot, that place he can succeed. And really, itís hard to say if he ever will.
    http://www.dailythunder.com/2011/11/...im/#more-17258

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

Green typifies the type of player that gets overpaid in a weak free agency year. The kind where GMs fantasize that they've found a diamond in the rough and find out that they just picked up a tweener who can't match up with the best at any ONE position. Good article.
    If we're all such great coaches why do we recruit so hard? You need players.

~ Jack Armstrong, ECF 2016

he can jack up threes pretty well
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

Classic tweeter player. Too slow to defend the 3, too small to defend good 4's.

I like Green, but I'd package him in a deal in a second if I were the Celtics.

good to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant
    "You don't want Rondo? Send him my way," Kobe declared. "I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That's what makes championship players.

translation: "Pay me a lot of $$, I'm worth it. No seriously I'm a (expletive) great player, pay me a lot of $$ because I can really play this game man."

He's trying to create more value for himself.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [x ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [x]
    Win Championship [x ]

Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    translation: "Pay me a lot of $$, I'm worth it. No seriously I'm a (expletive) great player, pay me a lot of $$ because I can really play this game man."

BC don't listen. This is exactly the player Colangelo likes to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    maybe we can find some comfort in the fact that we've got a similar player in Kleiza who plays the exact same role as Green would at a potentially lower cost.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [x ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [x]
    Win Championship [x ]

maybe we can find some comfort in the fact that we've got a similar player in Kleiza who plays the exact same role as Green would at a potentially lower cost.
    BCs been known to stockpile similar players though. I was half joking but I could easily see him getting very interested in this player. Hopefully the new coach will break him of that habit ...

this is exactly what it sounds like.

You know you're getting 15-5 every game. He would be in his element if he came off the bench.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Yup. BC always had a hard on for these "versatile" players.

I could see Green working well as a starting small forward, but I think he'll always be a dual-purpose player at the small and power forward positions. I'll grant him a similar ceiling as Carl Landry.

His ceiling is Lebron on a bad day.

TANKRONTO TANKTORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast