Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Vitters

Quote Originally Posted by ST.maarten'stop View Post
    His Discipline is his one flaw but if some how manages to get that up to atleast league average he'll be a beast... Unlike soriano he's doesnt strike out much his contact ability is on par with that of Starlin Castro....The BB is low because he gets himself out on pitchers pitches...do some research first buddy... the difference between him being great and being ok comes down to him being more selective on what pitches he swings at...Look at this way, he rarely misses when he swings at a pitch. He just need to learn to swing at better pitches.
    First of all, when did i say he strikes out a lot?? I know he gets himself out on pitchers pitches, hence the low walk rate. What is it with people saying “do some research”? Was anything i said not true? he does swing at everything, you said so yourself. I never said he swung and missed. What I am saying is he Doesn’t walk/get on base enough, with more patience aka better pitch selection he would. And then yes, he would be a phenomenal prospect. But he DOESN’T!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    Except Vitters strikes out at a rate that is about half of Soriano's. Low walk rate does not equal high strikeout rate. Vitter's makes pretty good contact.
    Exactly
    You can't fault Vitters for not taking walks because he gets thrown strikes. He has a great eye at the plate and he does what a hitter is supposed to do which is if it's a strike swing and if it's a ball take. You can't make a pitcher throw you 4 balls in an at bat.

Once he starts hitting more consistently and develops more power the pitchers will not challenge him as much and his walk rate will go way up.

Everyone likes to say he sucks defensively but those people are not watching him and working with him everyday. The Cubs have kept him at 3rd base the whole time and plan to keep him there next year so that says something. More reps and experience will help his defense because from what I understand it's not that he lacks range or arm strength. He just needs to learn the position and get more comfortable.

IMO he is the 3rd baseman of 2013 and will be a great player

Quote Originally Posted by ReJo View Post
    Exactly
    You can't fault Vitters for not taking walks because he gets thrown strikes. He has a great eye at the plate and he does what a hitter is supposed to do which is if it's a strike swing and if it's a ball take. You can't make a pitcher throw you 4 balls in an at bat.

Once he starts hitting more consistently and develops more power the pitchers will not challenge him as much and his walk rate will go way up.

Everyone likes to say he sucks defensively but those people are not watching him and working with him everyday. The Cubs have kept him at 3rd base the whole time and plan to keep him there next year so that says something. More reps and experience will help his defense because from what I understand it's not that he lacks range or arm strength. He just needs to learn the position and get more comfortable.

You'd have 65 errors a season on the left side of the diamond with Vitters at 3b along with Castro at SS. Assuming Vogelbach develops like most think he will and that Baez will end up at 3b, Vitters has two roads: traded or move to LF.

Exactly

Good post...I have not seen him play in person, I go off what the people who see him play tell me from this site. Hell I am for throwing him out there to wolves now if he can keep hitting like he has in the AFL. However good or Bad he is on defense has to be an upgrade from Aram.
    #FreeYags #FreeGato #FreeCubsstuckinstl #FreeCubbieSteve.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme" Isn't a Jeffy a cigarette?

Quote Originally Posted by pakman23 View Post
    First of all, when did i say he strikes out a lot?? I know he gets himself out on pitchers pitches, hence the low walk rate. What is it with people saying “do some research”? Was anything i said not true? he does swing at everything, you said so yourself. I never said he swung and missed. What I am saying is he Doesn’t walk/get on base enough, with more patience aka better pitch selection he would. And then yes, he would be a phenomenal prospect. But he DOESN’T!
    How else are we supposed to take this?

If you think its hard to watch Soriano swing at sliders 4 feet outside, wait till you see this kid swing at anything thrown remotely close to the plate. No thanks on this one ever.

I don't think anyone was saying you said he strikes out a lot but going off of the Soriano camparison you threw out there that's the first thing I would bring up is strikeouts...they are two different hitters and if you compare him to anyone if should be castro.

Quote Originally Posted by windycityD View Post
    You'd have 65 errors a season on the left side of the diamond with Vitters at 3b along with Castro at SS. Assuming Vogelbach develops like most think he will and that Baez will end up at 3b, Vitters has two roads: traded or move to LF.
    Minor league errors at least some of them are due to learning the position and the crappy diamonds they play on.
    Baez is years away as is Vogelbach. Vitters is a year away if he has any competition it would be in the form of Junior Lake or Flaherty.

Is he that much of a butcher Windy????

How else are we supposed to take this?
    That he swings at anything thrown at him, Of course it was a bit of an exaggeration. but I was merely using Soriano to express how little he walks, cause he is well below average in that department. Not the best analogy, but perhaps before you tell someone to condescendingly “do some research” you should read the post.
    Last edited by pakman23; 11-17-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Fair enough, but comparing him to soriano implies what is not directly said. you talking about him chasing pitches and sliders in the dirt also support that soriano comparison fact...which is absolutely not the case.. he is not that bad not even close its more he doesn't let the borderline pitches go and try get better pitches.. Soriano cant hit anything resembling a good breaking ball to save his life...

That he swings at anything thrown at him. Of course it was a bit of an exaggeration, but I was merely using Soriano to express how little he walks cause he is well below average in that department. Not the best analogy, but perhaps before you tell someone to condescendingly “do some research” you should read the post.
    Well, to start with, I'm not the one who told you to "do some research." But I still think it's completely unjustified to compare him to Soriano. They have very little in common. Also, as a side note, if he did become Soriano, I would be extremely happy with that. Soriano has had a pretty productive career.

Exactly

What a poetic post... brought tears to my eyes could say it better myself... People Need to learn the value of the word PATIENCE!!!! If he was near 24 or 25 and still struggling fine.. but he's just freaking 22...people assume that because he doesn't shoot through the system like others doesnt automatically make him a failure...

Well, to start with, I'm not the one who told you to "do some research." But I still think it's completely unjustified to compare him to Soriano. They have very little in common. Also, as a side note, if he did become Soriano, I would be extremely happy with that. Soriano has had a pretty productive career.
    My apologies, guess I should read the post. They do have very little in common, again I was just using his walk rate as marker to show how low Vitters is. Not comparing them.
    I would be extremely happy with that as well-unfortunately-like you said, they have little in common.

There's nothing wrong with him manning 3b until Baez is ready.. then you just move him to LF when Baez is ready...

Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    I don't think anyone was saying you said he strikes out a lot but going off of the Soriano camparison you threw out there that's the first thing I would bring up is strikeouts...they are two different hitters and if you compare him to anyone if should be castro.
    Your really starting to scare me.. its like we speak from the same mind.. my exact comparison..Difference between him and Castro is Castro's pitch selection is much better.. if he comes remotely close to what Castro is doing now.. Vitters is a beast..why? because he offers much more power as well...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast