Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

NBA Agent: Players will not sign with hardliners in future

Throughout these negotiations, there have been several owners who have been viewed as villains. They’ve been blamed by the fans and endlessly criticized, but cannot respond to the attacks because of the NBA’s gag order.

Paul Allen, one of the richest owners, has joined forces with the hardline owners and tried to intimidate the union with the silent treatment. Michael Jordan has also aligned himself with the hardline owners, leading the way according to several reports. Other owners such as Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver and Peter Holt have also received plenty of criticism for their stances and strange quotes.

But fans aren’t the only ones upset with these owners. Players and agents are just as frustrated, and one agent tells HOOPSWORLD that they’ll remember their actions long after the lockout comes to an end.

“I don’t want any of my clients playing for Michael Jordan, Paul Allen, Robert Sarver, Dan Gilbert or Peter Holt,” said one agent. “We won’t sign with them, unless they’re willing to really overpay. That’s going to be the only way these hardline owners are going to land any free agents after the way they’ve handled these negotiations.”

These small-market teams have a hard enough time trying to attract free agents. It won’t be any easier now thanks to the way the hardline owners have been depicted throughout this process.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-uni...cus-on-system/

@AlexKennedyNBA Ha! I hadn't even see your piece yet--have seen other intimations of that sentiment last 48 hours.
    https://twitter.com/#!/ZachLowe_SI

It was only a matter of time until this point was brought up.
    If anything this just strengthen's big market teams chances of getting vet min players and such with their commitment to starting a season ASAP regardless of their own personal agenda for wanting the season to start.

Agent: Well no one offered you any contracts except Bobcats, Trailblazers, Suns, Cavs and Spurs.

Player: So what am I gonna do???

Agent: .......Can you play baseball?

The agent backs off the claim some... saying his clients will meet with them only if they are going to severely overpay. Point is this: If the money is at all comparable... peace out hardliners.

Agent: Hey the Knicks called and they offered you a 2 year deal worth $10 million.

Player: Great, has anyone else called?

Agent: The Cavs called as well and are offering you a 3 year deal worth $24 million.

Player: Awesome, tell the Cavs to fax over a contract and we can get this done today!

Agent: .......I already accepted the Knicks offer for you.....

Player: .........
    Last edited by Badluck33; 11-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

lol... obviosuly this seems like a bluff to some extent...

but on the flip side...there ARE going to be some hard feelings towards certain owners/brands when this is all said and done.

Wouldn't be surprised, for example, if several players jumped to a new shoe brand...

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    Agent: Hey the Knicks called and they offered you a 2 year deal worth $10 million.

Agent: The Cavs called as well and are offering you a 3 year deal worth $24 million.

Player: Awesome, tell the Cavs to fax over a contract and we can get this done today!

well yeah your right, but the cavs still lose even if that player signs with the cavs. They dont have as much money to spend and they are being forced to pay almost double what the big market teams like NY are. NY gets more good players for the same amount of money.... YAy and they have an easier time staying out of luxury tax.

LMAO. It does make sense. No discounts for small market teams though leading to more :cry: by them if players do take discounts to play in big market teams. Decision would be: working at an awesome place for slightly less than what you have made or work at a shity one for lots more $$.

Quote Originally Posted by daleja424 View Post
    lol... obviosuly this seems like a bluff to some extent...

but on the flip side...there ARE going to be some hard feelings towards certain owners/brands when this is all said and done.

Wouldn't be surprised, for example, if several players jumped to a new shoe brand...
    Not a bluff, but this will be a tuffer sell for those teams (atleast the first yr or 2 after the lock out). Arison did himself a great service with his tweets. Thats half a million well spent IMO..... because combined with the fact that his team will be contenders for the next 5 or 6 yrs.... players will want to be employed by his organization.

Agent: Wow, what a mess. Sorry we had to get you out of that $10 million Jordan Shoe brand contract. But don't worry about it, we got you already lined up with another brand......"Adidams"

Player: What?

Agent: Yeah. Its like Adidas, only its 13 cents less and has one extra stripe.

Player: Ok...how much is this contract for?

Agent: 10,000,000 Czech Koruna!!!!

Player: Great! How much is that in USD?

Agent: .....$545,000.

Player: .............
    Last edited by Badluck33; 11-09-2011 at 10:59 AM.

you can treat it all with sarcasm... but if you don;t think brands would be lining up to sign Wade, Melo, CP3, etc away from Jordan you are out of your mind.

you can treat it all with sarcasm... but if you don;t think brands would be lining up to sign Wade, Melo, CP3, etc away from Jordan you are out of your mind.
    x2

I don't mean to insult anybody, but does anybody really see Cleveland/Phoenix lasting so long as Gilbert/Sarver is owner? They are small market teams and are realllly going to have to overpay to get players to go there (and that's compounded for the Cavs from the Lebron Letter). Irving and Thompson might already be planning their departure already, which would mean in the next few years, they'll have to go through this all over again. Phoenix has one player that is still drawing fans (Nash) and Sarver has basically let a contender leave cause he wouldn't pay (for example, Amar'e would've resigned if Sarver opened his wallet).

I think a team like the Bobcats might be saved on Jordan's name. Yes, he's turned his back on the players that he fought for in the past, but his name is on a ton of records in this league, and just like his issues when he was playing, this might be swept under the rug.
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

I did bring this up the other day as I was wondering if any players were going to hold it against the hardline owners. I guess they might after all.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast