Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yahoo: Hunterís actions in NBA labor talks weaken union

It's been obvious throughout the lockout that Hunter's hold on the union was tenuous at best. His performance has been weak, even though, in fairness, the players didn't have a leg to stand on in this one and he had to know it.

In the end, there are two courses for the union: Take the deal largely on the table or blow this up, decertify and lose the season fighting the NBA in the federal courts.

Only, it’s too late to decertify. Everyone wanted to do it back in July when the lockout started, and Hunter refused. His decision had nothing to do with legal strategy, nothing to do with leverage or getting the best possible deal for the players. It had everything to do with what it always does with Hunter: self-preservation. He worried about losing power, losing his job, and he sold everyone on a toothless National Labor Relations Board claim that’s going nowhere.

[Related: Derek Fisher denies trying to cut side deal with NBA]

This union is threatening to implode, the push and pull of people wanting to cut a deal and those willing to keep warring over the final percentage points. Within the NBPA, the frustration with Hunter is this: Hunter knows where the deal will be made, but he’s engaged in a smear campaign to frame Fisher as a sellout to the league. For Hunter, the end game is simple: Divide and conquer, and ultimately try to keep his own job beyond this labor agreement. This is a lousy deal for the players, and Hunter wants the blame everywhere else.

Yes, this has created doubts about Fisher, but it’s hurt Hunter far more. Once, he had the stars on his side, and that’s rapidly dissipating.

Hunter wants everyone to believe he’s the last holdout on going to a 50-50 split, that everyone else – especially Fisher – is dragging him there. Suddenly, he’s the tough guy standing alone. Suddenly, everyone else is caving and cutting side deals. Once it was the agents who wanted Hunter out. Now, there are star players lining up for a piece of him. They won’t move until there’s a deal done, but when they do, it will be swift, unruly and unpleasant.
    For starters, it comes from an unseemly brew of hubris, ego and insecurity. On every level, this has been a disgrace, an embarrassment for the players, and it’s threatening to unravel the entire union. Most of all, the clock’s ticking on getting a deal done. November’s been slashed in the NBA regular season, and December’s on deck.

Stern is holding back the hawkish owners who want to pull the 50 percent offer off the table. The hardline owners are indeed pushing Stern to drop the league’s offer back under 50 percent as games are missed, but as one high-ranking official said: “The others realize that if you do that, you will lose a season. If the players will not take 50 now, they will not take less than 50 until they sit the whole year.”

If there’s one more round of game cancellations, owners are privately threatening what Stern publicly promised: a worse offer. That’s why a deal needs to get done sooner than later. From inside and outside, the union is teetering.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._hunter_110111

Open speculation that Hunter is gone as soon as a deal is struck ... and that isn't necessarily imminent either. Could be a long, slow twist in the wind for the players' union.

One of the early signs that the union was out of control was the sudden appearance of KG, Kobe, and Pierce. There's no way that any negotiations should be conducted that way, with such a jaw-dropping display of disorganization. The "workers", whether they're superstars or not, never upstage the negotiating team the way they did. It was obvious then that Hunter had lost control.
    Last edited by ink; 11-01-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    If we're all such great coaches why do we recruit so hard? You need players.

~ Jack Armstrong, ECF 2016

I really don't know what to think at this point. I want to believe that fisher isnt caving into stern at this point but at the same time, what's being presented here is legit to me. Both sides here aren't really together at this point which says a lot.

Wouldn't be surprised if true but lets not pretend that the Owners side of this all is really only interested in strengthening basketball for a decade when its clear they want to fix all of their past mistakes and have the players ultimately pay for it.

If this is true then a meeting should be set up again fairly quickly. Maybe just maybe we'll get to see some NBA hoops by Christmas day. What a present that would be!
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 29$jersey View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if true but lets not pretend that the Owners side of this all is really only interested in strengthening basketball for a decade when its clear they want to fix all of their past mistakes and have the players ultimately pay for it.
    This.....

Standing on Sacred Ground

When the season starts and the blatant homerism subsides, people will realize the 2 biggest flaws on our team. MAYBE??

Quote Originally Posted by mzgrizz View Post
    If this is true then a meeting should be set up again fairly quickly. Maybe just maybe we'll get to see some NBA hoops by Christmas day. What a present that would be!
    Im not able to make that connection? if this is true, we might not see ball for 2 yrs cuz the union will have to think about decertifying.

and unfortunately if this were true ... quickly would have been like last weekend in terms of getting a meeting set up quickly.

Another Adrian W. article.

I'm pretty sure he aimlessly speculated that Stern was on his last legs on having a hold on the ownership group just a couple weeks ago. Google search it if you don't believe.

This is his whole M.O. His articles are purely opinion based even when he says he has sources.

8. 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
    Reason
    duplicate user

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James View Post
    **** this ****. The Heat should be playing the Knicks at MSG tonight. for all you guys that say "I don't care if they miss games, as long as there is the playoffs" What will you be watching tonight? Poker on ESPN? or one of the 10,000 crime drama shows?
    regular season > playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by thenetslegend View Post
    regular season > playoffs
    for nets fans

11. 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
    Reason
    duplicate user

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    for nets fans
    and warriors fans

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James View Post
    haha, just about to say that
    hahhahahahaha

sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    Im not able to make that connection? if this is true, we might not see ball for 2 yrs cuz the union will have to think about decertifying.

and unfortunately if this were true ... quickly would have been like last weekend in terms of getting a meeting set up quickly.
    IMO this means that the players are ready to deal, or at least the big boys and the majority... hunter needs to get out of their way, he's supposed to work for them... he's acting like these players don't know what's good for the players, and he knows best... if the players want to make a bad deal, guess what? it's their deal, let them make it... I think a deal gets done sooner than later, the players want to get a deal now it seems... I just want some bball...
    [IMG]/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by thenetslegend View Post
    and warriors fans

.... Oh yeah, The lockout has been gone on so long, that I forgot the warriors suck in real life. I was going off my nba 2k12 season... which is the nba for me these days.....

Man, I wanna get back to the real nba season so I can continue blaming the refs and other conspiracies for the warriors losses.

rooting for a loser really does make a fan appreciate the wins though.... LOl I almost feel like I have to will them through crunch time with my mind control sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Shmontaine View Post
    IMO this means that the players are ready to deal, or at least the big boys and the majority... hunter needs to get out of their way, he's supposed to work for them... he's acting like these players don't know what's good for the players, and he knows best... if the players want to make a bad deal, guess what? it's their deal, let them make it... I think a deal gets done sooner than later, the players want to get a deal now it seems... I just want some bball...
    I think the players are ready to accept a deal, and I would wish that they would send billy hunter into the next session with that in mind. Try and get the owners to move one last time and if it doesnt work... just take the deal and lets get out there and play ball. I just dont know if hunter will do it, and I dont know how they can force him too other than decertifying which will create a huge mess.

BTW- if they decertify, can they get out there on the court and have the lawyers do the lawsuite stuff on the side?

If there was any reason to believe holding out would make things better for the players- then I would go for it... but the owners wouldnt mind sitting out the next 10 yrs if they need too.

I wish Fisher could just give up and end this damn lockout. Us kings fans deserve to enjoy every last bit of the kings were only getting 1 more season of them and its so unfair. Again the lakers screw the kings. Even when its not intentional.

17. 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
    Reason
    stick to the topic please

18. 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
    Reason

The players are screwed either way, and the biggest mistake the league made was paying the players way too much under the last labor agreement - hence they are taking it back. The NBPA should just take the 50/50 deal and start making some money. Obviously, per person considering the income, the players are loosing way more than the owners when games are not played. And even if the decertify and take this to the federal courts, they have almost no chance of winning this thing.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

20. 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
    Reason

21. 11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
    Reason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast