Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crazy solution to the Cardinals-Pujols saga?

Ok, so try to keep an open mind on this one...

But what if, the Cardinals decide to let Pujols walk, and then go sign Prince Fielder? Now before any trolls start scolding me for even comparing the two, hear me out.

Obviously, Pujols is the better player, but Fielder is only 27 years old and Pujols is 3-4 years older, with reports saying he could be even older than that. Pujols could be 35 or 36 for all we know.

Fielder is younger and cheaper, and IMO is a lower risk than signing Pujols long term.

Now I know Fielder is not on the same level of Pujols, but he is still one of the biggest threats in MLB and would make the sting of losing Pujols hurt a little less.

I would personally rather have a 27 y.o. 1B that is a tier lower than an elite 1B who is at least 32.

Just a thought...

A few things to answer

1. Pujols is the fan favorite, he is our generations Stan Musial in St. Louis. Prince has no appeal to the fans, if Pujols walks, Berkman will be playing first base next season
    2. The Cardinals haven't signed an external player for even a two year deal since Reggie Sanders in the 03-04 off-season, and that was exactly a 2 year deal. They don't sign guys to longer than one year deals until that player has been a member of the organization already.
    3. The Cardinals overall are against massive contracts that extend over many years. Holliday was an exception, but a welcomed exception. Pujols would be another, they wouldn't be willing to make that exception for another player
    4. Fielder isn't going to get paid that much less than Pujols anyway.
    5. I am willing to bet that in four years from now Pujols is still better than Fielder. If he ages anything like his father, he isn't likely to be very productive half a decade from now. If Pujols can decline at the typical hall of fame caliber player rate (Griffey, Aaron, Mays, Killebrew, Schmidt, etc) around age 35 before his production starts to really drop, he is likely to remain the superior player throughout that time period.

Basically, the Cardinals are only willing to spend this kind of money, or even come close to it because it's Pujols, our hometown hall of famer. They wouldn't be willing to make that sort of commitment to an external player, and honestly, it would be really stupid to do so.

Even as a Cardinals fan, I'm not dead set on the idea of locking up Pujols, because he certainly isn't going to be worth his contract in full over the course of the deal. I'm calling this extension the Pujols tax. That we have made so much money on his success thus far that we are willing to overpay him today.

Not only is this not going to happen, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to happen.

sexicano31 Guest
    Pujols for Ryan Howard and 2 specs. Done and done

Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Pujols for Ryan Howard and 2 specs. Done and done
    And take on that horrible contract? The Cardinals aren't idiots

sexicano31 Guest
    True. Probably should have jumped in before the Jays traded Wells to LA. Angels would have LOVED Howard I bet

True. Probably should have jumped in before the Jays traded Wells to LA. Angels would have LOVED Howard I bet
    AngeLOLs

Re-sign Pujols so we can take Berkman as our DH.

since this is a crazyass thread, how about StL can't sign Pujols, and he signs as a FA to play 3B for the Phillies, of course pushing their payroll close to $200M (yankee-like)....do it ruben, do it....Polanco is the super-sub and spells SS, 3B and 2B throughout the season...

sexicano31 Guest
    Pujols needs TJ before playing anyplace but 1b

Have you seen Fielder try to throw a baseball and field a ground ball? Not a good sight to see
    [CENTER]
    AARON RODGERS

*Super Bowl XLV Champion
    *Super Bowl XLV MVP
    *2011 NFL MVP

Pujols needs TJ before playing anyplace but 1b
    haha.....agreed, or DH....I was joking.....

If youre going to throw money at Fielder to get him signed why not just do that to Pujols who is the better player?

Pujols will get more money in all likelihood but if your going to overpay you should get the better player too.

What's this craziness about speculating that Pujols is older than he claims he is. When did that start?
    Last edited by mtf; 09-18-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombtista View Post
    If youre going to throw money at Fielder to get him signed why not just do that to Pujols who is the better player?

Pujols will get more money in all likelihood but if your going to overpay you should get the better player too.
    I agree

i think the brewers are going to sign Pena if Pujols or Prince goes to the Cubs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast