Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2447
    Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    My biggest concern is what the farm system is going to look like in 3 years or so when the guys at AAA & AA have been brought up to Atlanta. It doesn't seem like there is much at the A & Rookie level to provide internal help in the future.
    I think last year draft will really help to at least keep our farm system afloat, guys who where picked late in the draft like Bryce Ball, Backstrom, Vaughn Grissom etc...Those guys aren't highly ranked right now but I think they will in the coming years, but the days of being a top 3, top 5 farm system are over.

Pache (#4) and Waters (#7) both listed in the top 10 OF prospects for 2020 by MLB.com

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-outfiel...eline-coverage
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I think last year draft will really help to at least keep our farm system afloat, guys who where picked late in the draft like Bryce Ball, Backstrom, Vaughn Grissom etc...Those guys aren't highly ranked right now but I think they will in the coming years, but the days of being a top 3, top 5 farm system are over.
    Not necessarily, however we have lost the ability to miss on picks. While I think itís possible to stay in the top 5, I think as long as we are top ten, we should be fine for years to come. And while I expect Soroka, Fried, Wright, Anderson, Newcomb. and Wilson to all improve, I donít think all will make it to FA with the Braves. So I think one or two, will be Delt, possibly for prospects. And I do think Ender will be Delt when Pache is ready. And our int ban will be ending in the next couple of seasons. With how well we developed Acuna, Albies, and Pache, we should become one of the top international destinations. These things should keep our farm very healthy for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Not necessarily, however we have lost the ability to miss on picks. While I think itís possible to stay in the top 5, I think as long as we are top ten, we should be fine for years to come. And while I expect Soroka, Fried, Wright, Anderson, Newcomb. and Wilson to all improve, I donít think all will make it to FA with the Braves. So I think one or two, will be Delt, possibly for prospects. And I do think Ender will be Delt when Pache is ready. And our int ban will be ending in the next couple of seasons. With how well we developed Acuna, Albies, and Pache, we should become one of the top international destinations. These things should keep our farm very healthy for the future.
    Healthy? I agree, but top 3-5 I don't think so, we might remain heavy on top but the depth isn't there, part of that is because of the international market sanctions, those sanctions end by July 2021, it won't be until at least 2023-24 players we sign in that period start appearing on prospects list, with that in mind when Pache and Waters are off those list we could struggle to be top 10. I also expect that when we trade most of our prospects the return will be to fortify the MLB club, we might trade for a prospect or two, but prospects for prospects trade aren't that common, and, if guys like you mention becomes steady players, we won't be trading them for prospects with our window completely open.

Farm systems are a cycle most of the time, teams like the Dodgers are the exceptions, they have been able to keep a top 5 system while being extremely successful in the bigs, like you said, our hope is to still be in the top half of farm system while we have our open window.
    Last edited by beldugo; 01-23-2020 at 02:16 PM.

A lot of luck is going to be key. The Braves haven't been completely quiet during the last few international years. 2017 we signed at least 14 players. 2018 2 and 2019 4. Obviously nothing to write home about but better than nothing. Considering Acuna and Albies were basically afterthoughts, we might be able to find a diamond in the rough.

Like beldugo said, it appears we have a pretty good draft last year. Vaughn Grissom, Tyler Owens (largest day 3 bonus given out in MLB), Jared Johnson, Mahki Backstrom, Kadon Morton, Bryce Ball, and Chad Bryant. Those are the names who stuck out to me as high upside players.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Healthy? I agree, but top 3-5 I don't think so, we might remain heavy on top but the depth isn't there, part of that is because of the international market sanctions, those sanctions end by July 2021, it won't be until at least 2023-24 players we sign in that period start appearing on prospects list, with that in mind when Pache and Waters are off those list we could struggle to be top 10. I also expect that when we trade most of our prospects the return will be to fortify the MLB club, we might trade for a prospect or two, but prospects for prospects trade aren't that common, and, if guys like you mention becomes steady players, we won't be trading them for prospects with our window completely open.

Farm systems are a cycle most of the time, teams like the Dodgers are the exceptions, they have been able to keep a top 5 system while being extremely successful in the bigs, like you said, our hope is to still be in the top half of farm system while we have our open window.
    It doesnít always take two years for an international prospect to become a prospect. The list of international prospects in the last few years to become top 100 in less than two years is numerous. And I wasnít talking about a prospect for prospect trade! We only have 5 slots for starting pitchers. If Soroka, Anderson, Wright, Fried, and Wilson all workout, thatís the complete rotation. So if Newcomb gets it back together as a starter, along with Folty and Muler, weíd have a surplus of starting pitchers. Yes we could trade them for mlb players, but trading a Folty or Newcomb in the off-season for a high end prospect or two, shouldnít come as a shock to anyone. Especially if the prospect plays a position of need and could be ready soon. Theo other reason I brought it up, is the Braves are not going to be able to re-sign all, despite our window being open. If we have maxed out salary wise, high end prospects would be the way to go.

Last the Braves often speak of returning to the Braves way if the 90ís. Guess what they had in the 90ís? A top farm while competing. We were the dodgers in the 90ís.

MLB top 100 is out:

13. Cristian Pache OF
    26. Drew Waters OF
    37. Ian Anderson RHP
    52. Kyle Wright RHP
    70. Shea Langeliers C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Mahki Backstrom 1B/OF, Braves 18th round pick. 6-5 220 with a ton of power.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Remember SS prospect Derian Cruz? The Braves sign him for 2MM in the international signing period of 2015, the same period that we sign Christian Pache, who got like 1.5MM. Well, he played 28 games between A and A+ for the Braves in 2019, but at some point during the season he returned to the DR and retire from baseball at just 20 years old. He uploaded a video on his youtube channel explaining a bit why he quit the game, the video is heart touching. He mentioned that when he started to struggle in the minors, even though he tried hard to get better, he couldn't. After a while he lost himself, started partying and completely lost his focus, started losing interest in the game and decide to retire.

Baseball is a really difficult sport, and players that try hard and don't succeed can sometimes lose themselves like Cruz did, the human part of the game is sometimes non-existent for us fans, but struggles can affect a player beyond the field. He even says that at one point he hated himself and what he became, when you get that much money at that young age, players (specially latin players) need advice, I know teams try to give everyone assistant even psychological, so it's a shame things like this happen to players.

He looks fine now, he said that after calling it quit he feels better and himself again, but is a bit sad to see an important prospect (I believe he was a top 10 Braves prospect at some point) retire at such a young age for this kind of issues.

Keith Law top 100:

5. Cristian Pache OF
    27. Ian Anderson RHP
    61. Kyle Wright RHP
    65. Bryse Wilson RHP
    75. William Contreras C
    94. Braden Shewmake SS

No Drew Waters is pretty shocking
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Keith Law top 100:

5. Cristian Pache OF
    27. Ian Anderson RHP
    61. Kyle Wright RHP
    65. Bryse Wilson RHP
    75. William Contreras C
    94. Braden Shewmake SS

No Drew Waters is pretty shocking
    That is shocking....... I think he forgot about Drew.

That is shocking....... I think he forgot about Drew.
    He was asked about Waters being an oversight and Law actually got offended somebody asked that. So Law for some reason doesnít like Waters.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    He was asked about Waters being an oversight and Law actually got offended somebody asked that. So Law for some reason doesnít like Waters.

Well heís been wrong plenty of times before. I honestly could understand him not being as high on Waters as others, but to not list him in the top 100? sheeesh!

Well heís been wrong plenty of times before. I honestly could understand him not being as high on Waters as others, but to not list him in the top 100? sheeesh!
    I thought the same thing. I can respect Law for sticking to his guns, though. Every site Iíve seen has Waters in the top 50 so Iím sure it would be tempting to go along with the rest. He didnít elaborate on what his issues were with Waters and Iím really curious what his thoughts are. I know Waters had a pretty high K rate in AAA but that was his first taste. He said heíll be posting top 10ís for each organization so maybe heíll elaborate more there.

I was encouraged to see Contreras and Shewmake crack the top 100. This is the first list Iíve seen with Contreras over Langeliers. Law said our Contreras has better tools and more upside than his brother. Hope heís right.

2019 Vikings Draft :

DOB tweeted earlier that some inside the Braves organization think Bryce Ball will eventually be a top prospect.

2019 Vikings Draft :