Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Captain

The Captain

When Varitek retires, so does our captain. He carries that 'C' well on his jersey and I think he was a fitting player and person to wear it. The Red Sox have survived without a captain in the past and will continue to do so if the 'C' is deemed unnecessary. However, this seems like an interesting topic for discussion. What do you think will happen?

In my opinion, I think the 'C' should carry on to a new, deserving player. My choice: Dustin Pedroia. He brings intensity, strong work ethic, defense, offense, and loyalty to the team. He has a Rookie of the Year award, an MVP award, a Gold Glove, and multiple All-Star selections as well.

MVP's and awards mean crap when looking at a worthy C. Pedey gets it once Tek is gone because he is the clear leader in the clubhouse.

Ive never understood the fan desire to make Pedroia captain.

It's not a desire, I'd say that it's just talk about who will wear the 'C' once Tek is gone. So when you look at who is next in line the first one that comes to mind is Pedroia.

Pedroia and all his trash talk stuff makes him a great clubhouse guy, but not necessarily a good leader. I don't see anyone other than Tek who has the personality to be a captain. Maybe A-Gon, but he's a new comer, so it's a long way to go.

Good point, trash talking is not a captain-like quality, however I doubt Pedroia means all of it. He likes to joke around. He even trashed Jerry Remy (but it was all in good fun.)

I don't think anyone should get it right away. Maybe Pedroia down the road if he looks like he'll be a Red Sox lifer...but there certainly isn't any reason to get desperate to give it to someone.

Pedroia is the only guy I think who could get it. Definitely not Youk. No way it should be AGon, at least not yet. The rest of the guys aren't at all worthy.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

I'm with ManRam, no reason to give it to anyone right away. I wouldn't be surprised to see Varitek come back again next year though.

If it's given to anyone in the next few years, it'll be Pedroia. It's been discussed back as early as early/mid '08.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I'm with ManRam, no reason to give it to anyone right away. I wouldn't be surprised to see Varitek come back again next year though.
    I agree that there's no rush to have a new captain after Tek's gone.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Tek comes back next year, though I do have to wonder about how Lavarnway fits into the picture. At what point do the Sox decide that they really have to either get him onto the big club or trade him before his value goes stale from being at AAA too long? Given that he's 23 and he started this season at AA Portland, I suppose that they could justify giving him 1 more year at AAA easily enough, which could allow Tek to return next season, if he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    I agree that there's no rush to have a new captain after Tek's gone.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Tek comes back next year, though I do have to wonder about how Lavarnway fits into the picture. At what point do the Sox decide that they really have to either get him onto the big club or trade him before his value goes stale from being at AAA too long? Given that he's 23 and he started this season at AA Portland, I suppose that they could justify giving him 1 more year at AAA easily enough, which could allow Tek to return next season, if he wanted.
    Barring injury or a change of heart on Tek's part, I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back for one more season. Lavarnway could still use some seasoning with the glove, as could Salty. Further, with the reduced work load Tek's looked better than he has in some time.

Yeah, as sleazy said I want to see Lavarnway do more defensively. His bat is obviously good enough to bring success at the major league level but his lack of games behind the plate worries me. It really annoys me that he DH's more than he catches for Pawtucket. You would think that they would focus on working him behind the plate as much as possible. The best way for him to improve defensively is to get reps, yet for whatever reason it seems like we're opposed to that.

Quote Originally Posted by sleazy View Post
    Barring injury or a change of heart on Tek's part, I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back for one more season. Lavarnway could still use some seasoning with the glove, as could Salty. Further, with the reduced work load Tek's looked better than he has in some time.
    Yeah! Tek has even thrown out a few runners this year!!

Darryl
    Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507682257

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I don't think anyone should get it right away. Maybe Pedroia down the road if he looks like he'll be a Red Sox lifer...but there certainly isn't any reason to get desperate to give it to someone.

Pedroia is the only guy I think who could get it. Definitely not Youk. No way it should be AGon, at least not yet. The rest of the guys aren't at all worthy.
    agreed. Its not like the sox will forget how to play if we don't have some designated a captain. It should come back a few years down the road. I really don't give a **** personally if someone is named captain or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole.World.9.27 View Post
    Brady is not a difference-maker or a playmaker. He's a product of the system who happens to play the QB position.

What other teams in the MLB actually have captains?

16. 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM

17. 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM

18. 07-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast