Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Mauer provided an advantage any given night hitting well as a catcher. As a first baseman, even during his .330 hitting doubles days, he would be average offensively. Dozier providing the offense he does at 2B is huge for this club. The same offense being provided by a right fielder or first baseman wouldn't mean as much to this team. Mauer had to have a borderline career year at 1st for me to endorse the move. Keep in mind I was in the vast minority when making this argument on this very forum. Yada yada more at bats. Yada yada healthier Mauer.

Where are we sitting at as a payroll? 90 million? We'd be at 65 million without him?

Are Mauer's baby twins keeping him up at night? Does he need lasik?

Who's to hoping Correia gives up 8 runs in 3 innings to push this team into calling up May? May and Meyer should be starters on this team instead of Correia and Deduno. Deduno can pitch out of the pen - Correia has no place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    Who's to hoping Correia gives up 8 runs in 3 innings to push this team into calling up May? May and Meyer should be starters on this team instead of Correia and Deduno. Deduno can pitch out of the pen - Correia has no place right now.
    Haha I agree. We need to DFA correia already.

I just heard that Pelfrey had elbow surgery. Maybe this will put him on the 60-day DL?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    literally, **** Joe Mauer. There is nothing right with that guy. Nothing right with the contract, nothing right with him hitting 3rd, nothing right at all. What makes it all the more not right, is the move to 1st base. The move to first base was supposed to keep him fresh, what has resulted, is his worst season ever. His worst season ever at catcher, would have been much better than his worst season ever at 1st base. The guy has no grasp of anything at the plate, and has become, what will lock this team down for a long time financially...we have this great youth system coming through, but all will be for naught, because of the financial stipulations Joe Mauer has put on the team. He provides literally nothing right now. There is no position he could play, which would provide value to the team, whether that be 1B, catcher, OF, or DH.
    The guy is complete trash. What happened? He used to be an MVP. The guy is lazy, and got way too comfortable with the contract, and, with nothing of substance to support my opinion, other than him being one of the best players in the league, to one of the worst, I think he was on roids during[his great seasons, and since the contract, got off the roids. How else could you explain such a drop off?
    Thank you! I have never liked Joe Mauer. Highest paid singles hitter In history. He is/has been the most overrated player in baseball. Even back in the good years(06-10) He really wasn't special. I thought that Morneau was the real franchise player we had. The only exception would be his ridiculous 09 year.
    I can literally call where he will hit the ball every at bat. Its either a soft liner to left, a weak *** shot up the middle or a chopper to 2nd. I honestly believe I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen him pull a ball. He is, in all simplicity and fairness.. a *****. that's the best word I have for him.

A down 2014 year doesn't take away from his special hitting ability in previous years. And no, a down 2014 year isn't justification for "I thought he was always crap and now I'm right!"

Remember when the rest of the league only wanted to offer a 2 year contract to Hughes? Remember how making a move out of NY along with a bigger home stadium would help his production? Remember how a 3rd year was a low risk high reward situation? If Hughes busts we don't owe much... if he pitches well we'll have him locked up one more year.

Hughes (8 M) - great signing. What's even better than locking him up for 3 years is that he's pitched better than his ERA would suggest. His FIP is at 2.97 before todays 7 inning shutout.

Pelfrey (5.5 M) - bad signing for 2014. Short leash but small probability he turns into an average pitcher for 2015.

Nolasco (12M) - he's pitched to a 4.63 FIP but bad luck has pushed his ERA to 5.7.

-------------------------

For spending 12M we've received Hughes who thus far has pitched like a 20M dollar man. (Great value)

For spending 8M we've received a pitcher who has pitched to earn a 4.63 ERA but bad luck has pushed the ERA to 5.7. (Fair value)

For spending 5.5M we've received a guy who's pitched like absolute crap. We still owe him another 5.5M for next year with a medium to low probability he'll turn this around (Fair value)

We'll find ways to complain about Pelfrey and Nolasco but if we re-arrange the dollar amounts with the production we've received, all three of these contracts are giving us exactly what we've paid for.

Hows that for a take?

with or without his production (or currently lack thereof) I was disappointed the Twins re-signed Pelfrey, to be honest...or if they signed him, shoulda let Corriea go.........Nolasco I was fine with but for his price (but it ain't my money!)

I know the idea was to put a solid rotation together for 2014 that didn't require pushing May/Meyer/etc up too soon, but I still think they should do more of giving young guys a few starts, letting them know it WILL most likely be only a few starts...to get a better gauge of how ready they are (obviously doing this only with guys they wouldn't expect could get confidence shattered if they have a couple bad starts)
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I honestly think we should call up May and Meyer. Correia, Deduno, and Pelfrey have no business being in a mlb starting rotation. If they don't want to bring those guys up yet, so be it... we have to find a better pitcher though.

The Morales signing shows that the twins think they can win this year. We aren't too far out of the division, or wild card. A rotation with one weak spot makes it tough for a team to find its groove. A rotation with two weak spots makes it damn near impossible. It's to the point where I sit there and hope that Nolasco, Hughes, and Gibson pitch great games because it's a good bet that the other two starters will lose, so you hope to win 3 out of 5 games.

The Twins don't think they can win this year... They're just trying to please the torches and pitchforks standing outside the gates... They spend 7M on Morales in a walking year with no draft compensation but then are cheap on two stud pitchers at AAA pitching really well. Do you want to win or not? Do you want to spend money or not? They never move in a common direction but rather when a question comes up they flip a coin or throw darts at a dartboard.

Are they very excited for 2015? Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Arcia, Dozier, and Plouffe. Along with Gibson, Hughes, Meyers, and May.

The promotions next year will be very "new kids on the block?"

Buxton and Sano are certainly going to need another year in the minors after their injuries this season, but hopefully they will both be OK.

I wouldn't be shocked if next year at this time they're both playing for the Twins. Probably one or both of Meyer and May, too.

Aaron Hicks was placed on the 15-day DL with a right shoulder strain. Sam Fuld has been activated from the DL and Eric Fryer has been recalled to replace Josmil Pinto on the active roster. The move was made to get Pinto regular ABs.

earlier this season, the Twins had so many hurt/ing in the OF we had games where all 3 playing out there were primarily infielders............now suddenly we're short of infielders, with Plouffe likely doing on the DL and both Nunez and Dozier hurting (tho maybe neither is hurt enough not to play).........but we still need to bring someone up at this point, yes? That gonna end up being Florimon or can we do better?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    The Twins don't think they can win this year... They're just trying to please the torches and pitchforks standing outside the gates... They spend 7M on Morales in a walking year with no draft compensation but then are cheap on two stud pitchers at AAA pitching really well. Do you want to win or not? Do you want to spend money or not? They never move in a common direction but rather when a question comes up they flip a coin or throw darts at a dartboard.

Are they very excited for 2015? Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Arcia, Dozier, and Plouffe. Along with Gibson, Hughes, Meyers, and May.

The promotions next year will be very "new kids on the block?"
    Understanding your thinking but respectfully disagree...

With all of our "issues" especially pitching we are still only 2.5 games out of the last playoff spot. I think that is the reason for the pickup. Seems to be an educated risk - which is VERY smart. If we take off and continue to stay in the race ... we keep Morales.

As far as our pitching I would believe that the "kids" will be up in the near future. Remember it is not AAA and bringing in the young pitchers is not a "sure" thing. Trying to let the Vets turn it around has to be 1st priority with the investment and experience they have. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Nolasco will be fine
    Correia, Deduno not so much and that is where there will be changes if they don't see consistent improvement soon

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast