Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I believe that, to trade Willingham at this time, would send a bad message to potential FAs. Yes his value is very high, but he had a very good season and is under team control for a "reasonable" salary for 2 more seasons. The Twins will need to sign a guy to fill a spot for a couple of seasons and if he thinks that he'll only get a 1 or 2 year deal, he will likely sign somewhere else.
    On the flip side, I agree that Willingham would bring a pretty good package back. It appears that Willingham, Span or Morneau will be traded this winter, possibly all 3. If they go as a package, an ace should return, along with a couple of decent prospects.
    Yes, this looks a bit contradictory, but that is the nature of the business, I'm afraid. I don't want to see Willingham traded, but he may be the best chip the team has.
    As to "untouchables", I'd include Rosario and a couple of pitchers in the picture as well.
    Exactly, hes a guy whos on record for saying he would like to sign an extension and was one of the few bright spots for us this season, our offense isnt what has lost us games, I thing yes you can trade a guy like a Span because of our log jam out in the OF but im one of the people who would hate to see Willingham leave. He had me excited when he was at the plate.

A lineup next year based around Revere, Plouffe, Mauer, Morneau, Doumit and Willingham isnt a bad start, add in Carroll and a few others like a Florimon and its got a chance, we just need to shore up the pitching staff.

-
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-23-2013 at 12:41 AM.

An infield of Morneau/Parmelee, Casilla/Carroll/Escobar/Florimon, Plouffe isn't a bad group to work with. The outfield of Revere, Span, Willingham, Carson/Arcia isn't bad either, although Arcia would be best served with consistant ABs, so I think he plays at AAA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    An infield of Morneau/Parmelee, Casilla/Carroll/Escobar/Florimon, Plouffe isn't a bad group to work with. The outfield of Revere, Span, Willingham, Carson/Arcia isn't bad either, although Arcia would be best served with consistant ABs, so I think he plays at AAA next year.
    Please no more Casilla, I know hes Gardys boy but I think its time to let him go and move on from him.

Casilla is gone. They have Escobar for alot less money and they probably bring back Dozier as a utility infielder.

Span or Revere has to go. Span has good trade value so I would expect him to go in a deal for pitching.

Morneau needs to go too. Use that $14M on pitching and put Parmalee in his place. I don't think you lose much in that swap. Parmalee and a #2 starter for Morneau would improve this team considerably.

Sign a F/A top of the rotation starter. Does not need to be an ace. Actually, the ace type guys command such a premium in free agency that it probably does not make sense for us. We need depth. Two #2 would be better than an ace at this point.

Decline Baker's option and offer him a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.

Im kinda expecting to see our roster a bit overturned this off-season, I expect well see roughly 10 new faces on it in some way shape or form.

Personally, I would love to see us let Capps walk this offseason, IMO Perkins has proven he can be a closer for us and I see him being a very effective one as he grows into the role. Burton has grown into arguably our best set up man and him in the 8th inning would be ideal. Fien and Robertson and Burnett would also be guys I would like to see around to start next year so all we need there would be a FA veteran reliever.

Our starting staff has the potential and the arms its just having them play to their potential. I believe we will see Diamond, Pavano and Baker as part of the starting 5 next year and hopefully Gibson will be part of it also. Once again I think we need to go out and commit 10 million or so to a top of the rotation starter to provide stability.

Overall our offense to me seems to be set.
    C- Mauer
    1B- Morneau (Hes going to come back and hit .300, 30 HR and 100 RBI next year)
    2B- Florimon
    SS- Dozier/Carroll
    3B- Plouffe
    LF- Willingham
    CF- Revere
    RF- A minor league prospect with some pop, our my pick would be Parmelee.

The 4-5 bench spots can be in any order...
    Doumit
    Mastroianni
    Dozier/Carroll
    Escobar
    A FA or prospect here, insert whoever.

Just a general idea I have of what I would like to see next year, obviously I didnt include Span as i see him getting traded, I think the return for him would be bigger now than it ever will be at any point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 3XDouble View Post
    Casilla is gone. They have Escobar for alot less money and they probably bring back Dozier as a utility infielder.

Span or Revere has to go. Span has good trade value so I would expect him to go in a deal for pitching.

Morneau needs to go too. Use that $14M on pitching and put Parmalee in his place. I don't think you lose much in that swap. Parmalee and a #2 starter for Morneau would improve this team considerably.

Sign a F/A top of the rotation starter. Does not need to be an ace. Actually, the ace type guys command such a premium in free agency that it probably does not make sense for us. We need depth. Two #2 would be better than an ace at this point.

Decline Baker's option and offer him a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.
    Not trying to pick a fight with you by any means, but i cannot disagree more. I feel like we have enough mid-level starters who will become better when we add a true ace. If we add someone at the front of our rotation who can shut a team down, it will not let the teams game plan for the same pitchers day in day out.
    As for the Morneau idea.I like it a lot.I feel like there are going to be a lot of teams who could use a lefty who will hit 275 with 25 hr,but his contract is going to make him a difficult person to move without taking the majority of it or not getting anyone significant in return. If we can get a solid spec and eat say 5mill per of the contract I would do it.. If we can't, hold on to him and hope he becomes the morneau of old.

Pitching options--
    Rodger Clemens (HAHA)-- @100,000$ per pitch thrown
    Josh Johnson -- (my dream)-- @ 12,000,000 per (only an option W/O morneau)--Give up Arcia and Hauser
    Joe Saunders-- (the next pavano) Sign him for under 6mill per
    Gavin Floyd -- No way does chicago give him 9.3 for next year-- 5mill per
    Johan Santana -- If he will take a pay-cut to come back, he could be a great older starter-- and twins fans will pay to see him back !!

I'd like to get a look at Jake Peavy. He's still a strikeout pitcher and it's always nice to snag a guy from a division rival. After the White Sox decline his option, I think it's going to be very difficult to even take a stab at what kind of contract he will get. He has injury history over the last four years or so but was a really good pitcher this year, however the success didn't necissarily translate to the stat sheet as his offense didn't help him out very much. There are a lot of free agent pitchers this year, he might get lost in the mix and could be a bargain.

I said it would be difficult to predict his salary but my more than likely inaccurate prediction: 2 years, $16 million with an $8 million mutual option for 2015. I'd go for it.

-
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-23-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bray991 View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight with you by any means, but i cannot disagree more. I feel like we have enough mid-level starters who will become better when we add a true ace. If we add someone at the front of our rotation who can shut a team down, it will not let the teams game plan for the same pitchers day in day out.
    As for the Morneau idea.I like it a lot.I feel like there are going to be a lot of teams who could use a lefty who will hit 275 with 25 hr,but his contract is going to make him a difficult person to move without taking the majority of it or not getting anyone significant in return. If we can get a solid spec and eat say 5mill per of the contract I would do it.. If we can't, hold on to him and hope he becomes the morneau of old.

Pitching options--
    Rodger Clemens (HAHA)-- @100,000$ per pitch thrown
    Josh Johnson -- (my dream)-- @ 12,000,000 per (only an option W/O morneau)--Give up Arcia and Hauser
    Joe Saunders-- (the next pavano) Sign him for under 6mill per
    Gavin Floyd -- No way does chicago give him 9.3 for next year-- 5mill per
    Johan Santana -- If he will take a pay-cut to come back, he could be a great older starter-- and twins fans will pay to see him back !!
    You are also strongly in disagreement with Terry Ryan and every other GM that is not a major market. These "Ace" pitchers are going to command contracts well above $100M, even in excess of $150M. This might be possible if the twins did not already have a contract w/Mauer that is an anchor on the organization. The Twins simply can't afford to have $45M+ tied up in Mauer and a F/A Ace pitcher. They command to high a percentage of our payroll and the contracts are so legthy that they pose a major risk. NY and LA can take that risk but it is not a good idea for the MN Twins.

Unfortunately, Morneau will not have great trade value because he is only under contract for 2013. There is also probably some lingering concerns over his health and durability. I would still move him to free up the $14M for pitching.

-
    Last edited by MattyG; 02-23-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Then get a lot of different types of pitchers.. The reason I want an "ACE" is because he gives the team a different look then the next guy, We have 7 starters that throw 90-92.. We have had the argument before where this is totally fine as long as you can pump it up to 95 or so when you need to, NONE of our starters going in to next year are able to do this (Baker was we will need to see). If we are going to survive with out a true "ACE" or "#1" we need to be able to give teams different looks, so they can't game plan around one scouting report.. Look at Pavano, Liam, Blomberg, Diamond, Dunsing, PJ, and Gibson.. They all throw the same mess of pitches, with the same velocity (or about the same).. Nothing MAJOR changes from night to night.. If we cannot afford an ACE (Johnson should be cheaper then Morneau), what do you pose we do to rid our self of this clone problem we have in our system.. Fire a pitching coach maybe ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bray991 View Post
    Then get a lot of different types of pitchers.. The reason I want an "ACE" is because he gives the team a different look then the next guy, We have 7 starters that throw 90-92.. We have had the argument before where this is totally fine as long as you can pump it up to 95 or so when you need to, NONE of our starters going in to next year are able to do this (Baker was we will need to see). If we are going to survive with out a true "ACE" or "#1" we need to be able to give teams different looks, so they can't game plan around one scouting report.. Look at Pavano, Liam, Blomberg, Diamond, Dunsing, PJ, and Gibson.. They all throw the same mess of pitches, with the same velocity (or about the same).. Nothing MAJOR changes from night to night.. If we cannot afford an ACE (Johnson should be cheaper then Morneau), what do you pose we do to rid our self of this clone problem we have in our system.. Fire a pitching coach maybe ??
    You have a point! I would go hire whoever is doing Oakland's scouting. Maybe BB is that good a talent evaluator but you have to beleive they have great scouts. Tampa Bay too. They have been producing pitching year after year.

I just don't see a solution that does not involve trading Morneau and using the salary for pitching. I was hoping they could put something together with the Dodgers. I hope they did not pass on something reasonable.

Wow, has this ever happened?? Thank you.. I do enjoy being right more then I think anything .... I think we have a very sold base coming up, when it comes to the other 8 guys, and I am very excited to see what these young guys can do... But, and this is Kardashian size but, we have no one on the bump .... Josh Johnson, makes our pitching staff relevant IF Baker, Diamond, and two others can step up.. I see Gibson, and Hendricks stepping up and being a part of it.. Any Idea what we are going to do with this surplus of outfield talent, you can never have too many good pitchers.. but outfielders?? the last time I checked softball doesn't even use 4 outfielders (Rover)

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast