Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Could A Player Like Payton/AI/Marbury Make It In Todays NBA??

I dont mean as far as skills...cause in my book Payton or Iverson or Marbury could play in any era in their primes and do there thing and still be all time greats

but my real question is these 3 players are lightning rod people who seemed to attract attention to themselves and talked alot of trash. And in todays ERA in the NBA with the social media and the way how everything is heavily scrutinized (lebron just looked at dirk the wrong way hes a douchebag) (lebron and wade made fun of dirk being sick) would a player like GP or AI survive? would they get eaten alive by the social media world and how every little thing is scrutinized?

can you imagine #practice #weretalkingaboutpractice #notthegame trending on twitter? or whatever gary payton would say on a court being blown up in the media? im sure gary payton called former NBA players worse things than "looking like a cancer patient" as what KG said to Charlie V.

how do you think these types of players would handle todays era ? would they eventually lash out at people who critizise them? would they actually use it to there advantage and be bigger stars? would it calm down the trash talk on the court of a gary payton?

thoughts?

First Sim League Title!

It would be difficult. The social networks would be all over them. Then when you throw in the tmz style of reporting the nba does now and all the gossip sites, they would constantly be getting scrutinized and criticized everytime they sneezed. Especially AI. Imagine if he put out that rap album now? Man he'd be all over twitter, GLAAD would be demanding an apology and wanting him to watch a Glee marathon, there'd be a dozen more "its not cool to say gay slur" commercials... on and on and on.

Hell, AI still gets bashed on psd for being an "overrated chucker" and he's not even in the league anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    It would be difficult. The social networks would be all over them. Then when you throw in the tmz style of reporting the nba does now and all the gossip sites, they would constantly be getting scrutinized and criticized everytime they sneezed. Especially AI. Imagine if he put out that rap album now? Man he'd be all over twitter, GLAAD would be demanding an apology and wanting him to watch a Glee marathon, there'd be a dozen more "its not cool to say gay slur" commercials... on and on and on.

Hell, AI still gets bashed on psd for being an "overrated chucker" and he's not even in the league anymore.....

Iverson in his prime in today's world would be nuts.

They'd make it. There would just be a lot more hate, a lot more. But they'd make it

They would make it. It would get to the point where thats their reputation and it wont be real news anymore.

Plus, their skills on the court make up for everything. Iverson and Payton are DEF HALL OF FAME players....and Marbury has HOF talent.

Payton? No doubt.
    When you got to shoot, shoot, don't talk

if marbury had his head on straight, hed be incredible in his prime. ala derrick rose

Players the caliber of Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, and Stephen Marbury would make it in any era.

lol those guys owned the media. well ai and payton marbury got eaten alive but he was weak mentally the other two werent
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. 06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
    Reason
    then don't post in it

I don't see how using social media to their advantage would make any player a bigger star. It all depends on what you define as a "star", I guess, is it defined by their play on the court or the stories/news they bring away from it? In my opinion nobody can use the media to become a bigger star. You back it up by what you do on the court, not what you say about it before/after. If you talk some **** while playing and get in the head of your opponent than great, you've used **** talking to your advantage. I'll tell you what though, a play like Jordan (since people like to compare) wouldn't let **** talking get to them so it shouldn't make a difference. Iverson and GP in my mind were great players (marbury was good but not on the same level) that would've been labeled as great players with or without their controversies.

Derrick Rose reminds me of a more athletic version of Marbury. I see a lot of similarities in their game.

Quote Originally Posted by 210Don View Post
    lol those guys owned the media. well ai and payton marbury got eaten alive but he was weak mentally the other two werent
    I liked the way Marbury handled the media, I still remember when he took the Suns to the playoffs and all you heard was how much more of a leader Marbury was. Yet whenever people asked him what's been the biggest change in his game he would respond as if they were crazy. NOTHINS CHANGED

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksR4Real View Post
    if marbury had his head on straight, hed be incredible in his prime. ala derrick rose
    I think Marbury couldve used the rule changes more than his own sanity

Quote Originally Posted by albertc86 View Post
    Derrick Rose reminds me of a more athletic version of Marbury. I see a lot of similarities in their game.
    Yup, Rose isn't cocky or outspoken but the 2 have alot in common. Rose vs Westbrook reminds me of the Francis vs Marbury talk in the early 2000s, only these guys play in an easier league alongside more talent.

Rose is faster and probably taller, also better defensively but Marbury could pass and shoot I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast