Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 195
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,624

    Are We Currently In The NBA's Steroid Era?

    Are we just as naive about the NBA right now as we were about baseball in the 90's? Guys like LeBron, Howard, and Andre Iguadala are every bit the freaks Mcguire and Sosa were back then. Hell, even smaller guys like Westbrook and Rondo are crazy ripped.

    Do you think this is just about work ethic and better conditioning, or are we ignoring the obvious? If you do think guys are roiding, do you think it will mar the whole era the way it did to baseball.

    P.S. Please don't close this thread, I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything, nor am I baiting. I am legitimately curious what people think.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,353
    have you ever worked out before? A little work ethic is all it takes to get jacked bud..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    16,080
    I don't understand how steroids can help an NBA player...

    HEAT
    Spurs
    Marlins
    Dolphins
    Eagles
    Gators


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    73,156
    Let the witch hunt begin! Guilty until proven innocent!

    I don't think so. There might be some that use, for sure, but making a claim like this, when no one really has ever been busted and no one has really ever come out and stated that the NBA might have a problem, is just dumb.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    189
    Dwight Howard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by daleja424 View Post
    have you ever worked out before? A little work ethic is all it takes to get jacked bud..
    Yes, I do work out and I understand that. However, couldn't someone have said the same thing about all the ripped baseball players in the 90's?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not in California
    Posts
    3,985
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
    I don't understand how steroids can help an NBA player...
    This.

    I wish someone could explain how steroids makes you better at shooting a basketball & passing the ball.

    Strength only gets you so far in this league. Guys like Craig Smith, Ike Diogu, Darnell Jackson, Joey Dorsey, etc are strong guys and it makes no difference.

    Rashard Lewis & Don MacLean are the only 2 players in NBA history to be suspended for a "steroid" and what difference did it make in their games?

    Steroids dont make your vertical leap go up 10 inches, steroids dont make you a better ballhandler, they dont increase your 3PT range and make you a better shooter, & they dont have any affect on your basketball IQ on offense and defense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    73,156
    Quote Originally Posted by buch88 View Post
    Dwight Howard
    Why? Because he looks big and strong?

    Let's play a game. Guess the steroid user!

    A

    or

    B


    It's B.

    People can be crazy athletic without cheating to do so. These are the best athletes in the world. The cream rises. There are people who are just blessed. They are those guys, and that's why they're here.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    This.

    I wish someone could explain how steroids makes you better at shooting a basketball & passing the ball.

    Strength only gets you so far in this league. Guys like Craig Smith, Ike Diogu, Darnell Jackson, Joey Dorsey, etc are strong guys and it makes no difference.

    Rashard Lewis & Don MacLean are the only 2 players in NBA history to be suspended for a "steroid" and what difference did it make in their games?

    Steroids dont make your vertical leap go up 10 inches, steroids dont make you a better ballhandler, they dont increase your 3PT range and make you a better shooter, & they dont have any affect on your basketball IQ on offense and defense.
    You are absolutely right, strength alone will get you no where. However, you can say the same thing about baseball players. You can't just be strong, you also need great pitch recognition, timing, etc. It works the same way in the NBA. Roids wouldn't make a bad player great, but they would make a great player Godly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not in California
    Posts
    3,985
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    Yes, I do work out and I understand that. However, couldn't someone have said the same thing about all the ripped baseball players in the 90's?
    You do realize there is a difference between basketball & baseball players?

    Baseball players are not even on the level of NBA athletes.

    Steroids allowed players to hit more home runs by swing a bat, it didnt make these guys jump 40 inches into the air after running 60 feet in 4 seconds.

    Guys go into the gym and take 200 3PT shots for practice and still never shoot higher than 30% from 3.

    I mean you're comparing apples and oranges.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    16,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    You do realize there is a difference between basketball & baseball players?

    Baseball players are not even on the level of NBA athletes.

    Steroids allowed players to hit more home runs by swing a bat, it didnt make these guys jump 40 inches into the air after running 60 feet in 4 seconds.

    Guys go into the gym and take 200 3PT shots for practice and still never shoot higher than 30% from 3.

    I mean you're comparing apples and oranges.
    That's false on so many levels.

    HEAT
    Spurs
    Marlins
    Dolphins
    Eagles
    Gators


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    Are we just as naive about the NBA right now as we were about baseball in the 90's? Guys like LeBron, Howard, and Andre Iguadala are every bit the freaks Mcguire and Sosa were back then. Hell, even smaller guys like Westbrook and Rondo are crazy ripped.

    Do you think this is just about work ethic and better conditioning, or are we ignoring the obvious? If you do think guys are roiding, do you think it will mar the whole era the way it did to baseball.

    P.S. Please don't close this thread, I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything, nor am I baiting. I am legitimately curious what people think.
    I think Derrick Rose is the most likely steroid guy... he's not that big (kind of an Allen Iverson type) but yet he throws his body around and gets knocked around a lot. He is a likely candidate to use steroids, to heal his ankles etc more quickly.

    Lebron is less likely to use steroids, because he's already so big (not freakishly big, just solid) and has had the same muscular frame since high school. Also Lebron has great genetics, and doesn't seem to get injured or worn down at all--never any ankle problems. So there is really no reason to take steroids for him.

    Steroids are used in medical settings to speed up the healing process, and can be very valuable medically. Personally, if some players (for instance Derrick Rose) are using steroids occasionally to heal an injury, or some kind of hemoglobin substance to improve endurance, I don't think we should turn it into a big witch hunt.

    French cycling has completely destroyed itself over this maniacal search for pure blood in its riders, and baseball took a bat and smashed itself over the head for 10 years over a few steroid tests and the stigma of "cheating."

    Hopefully the NBA will realize, as the NFL obviously has, that it's only a problem is you MAKE it a problem--if you blow it up as a big issue and start smashing yourself in the face with it. Drag yourself before congress. Trash your star athletes.

    I mean, do we really need a congressional investigation is Derrick Rose got some HGH from his doctor, or got a cortisone or steroid injection in his ankle?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not in California
    Posts
    3,985
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    You are absolutely right, strength alone will get you no where. However, you can say the same thing about baseball players. You can't just be strong, you also need great pitch recognition, timing, etc. It works the same way in the NBA. Roids wouldn't make a bad player great, but they would make a great player Godly.
    Wrong.

    Baseball requires swinging a bat. You need good recognition & bat speed, but having extra strength/power to knock balls out of the park is important.

    Basketball requires perfecting a skill with your hands.
    Muscle memory =/= adding muscle mass

    Ray Allen became a great shooter through practice by perfecting a skill early on. How will steroids help him? Im talking HGH and everything.

    Why do you think they tell HS basketball players not to lift weights?

    LeBron has said he has never lifted weights to get as strong as he became. He had 0 reason to increase the muscle mass in his biceps and affect his shooting touch he has memorized throughout his life. Instead basketball players build strength in their shoulders when used to create space.

    There is literally 0 advantage to being "buff" in the NBA. This has always been a finesse game built on skill.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,038
    They should let them use HGH that **** is like a miracle drug

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Let's face it: steroids can be bad for you IF ABUSED. When given by medical doctors for legitimate purposes, they are considered to be safe. (if abused, obviously, they can shrink your balls, cause bad acne, etc).

    In the future, though, there will be increasingly better drugs and hormones. Already players can take lots of vitamin D3, cod liver oil, breast milk, lecithin, super high quality protein, vitamin K, etc etc, and have a huge advantage over players from the 70's let's say.

    In the future there will be wonder drugs, HGH variants that extend players careers, heal injuries, increase strength and endurance. Will all those substances be banned? Is the progression of medical science synonymous with cheating? Or do we need to put "restrictor plates" on players like NASCAR vehicles?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •