Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    From what I have read we rocked it this draft. I am stoked
    Not according to Keith Law or Churchill but i trust Z, Everyone thought he reached for Prince Fielder that worked out pretty well also Law wasn't to high on Nick Franklin and it looks like he was wrong on him to.

I was also called stupid by you guys when I said figgins sucked and should of been traded. Oh well I guess time will tell who's right. I hate how smug some of you guys are acting about the pick when none of you guys said anything about Hultzen pre-draft. It's w/e though. I look forward to (but not really) having another pitcher in a farm. Let say he does live up it too it. Can't wait for him to lose 2-1 like Pineda.

Quote Originally Posted by BoysBullsM'sFan View Post
    I was also called stupid by you guys when I said figgins sucked and should of been traded. Oh well I guess time will tell who's right. I hate how smug some of you guys are acting about the pick when none of you guys said anything about Hultzen pre-draft. It's w/e though. I look forward to (but not really) having another pitcher in a farm. Let say he does live up it too it. Can't wait for him to lose 2-1 like Pineda.
    Go back to page 12 CamraMaan mentioned both Bauer and Hultzen.

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Go back to page 12 CamraMaan mentioned both Bauer and Hultzen.
    yeah you're right I missed it. He said he'd take bauer over hultzen and you said hultzen. discussion lasted all of 2 seconds thought but I still missed it okay. Hultzen it is.

yeah you're right I missed it. He said he'd take bauer over hultzen and you said hultzen. discussion lasted all of 2 seconds thought but I still missed it okay. Hultzen it is.
    Hultzen was on the list of 4 guys he wanted though, i was pretty shocked when we took a pitcher but i wasn't dissapointed just thought we would go with a positional player and not a pitcher. I was happy we didn't take Rendon though i wasn't sold on his shoulder and his power numbers wouldn't be that great playing in Safeco. Didn't really get the comparasion to Longoria either except for maybe the glove Longoria is 6'4 Rendon is only 5'11-6'0 they are not the same type build wise.

Should have realized a pitcher was a really possibility though it was a pretty deep class of pitchers.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 06-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Hultzen was on the list of 4 guys he wanted though, i was pretty shocked when we took a pitcher but i wasn't dissapointed just thought we would go with a positional player and not a pitcher. I was happy we didn't take Rendon though i wasn't sold on his shoulder and his power numbers wouldn't be that great playing in Safeco. Didn't really get the comparasion to Longoria either except for maybe the glove Longoria is 6'4 Rendon is only 5'11-6'0 they are not the same type build wise.

Should have realized a pitcher was a really possibility though it was a pretty deep class of pitchers.
    If his shoulder was a problem then why did Rendon play for the entire season this year? Then even some at 2nd. I don't wish ill on anyone but if Rendon lives up to his potential then it's going to be horrible for us. You can say yeah 5 other teams passed on him but they all took players with more upside and potential than Hultzen. Hultzen could be a fine major leaguer but with #2 overall pick I don't want fine I want amazing. Why draft Erik Bedard (which people compare him too) When you can get King Felix. People are saying that hultzen is the most major league ready but bauer is up there also. Then people are raise a stink about the numbers HUltzen put up but buaer's were better.

On the flip side let's say we took a righty who would be something like Doug Fister if he maxed out everythin that sat at 93-95 would you want that or Randy Johnson. I think my major problem with the pick is that I keep hearing limited low ceiling with the #2 pick that's not something I want to hear. I hear he has nice stuff. I don't want nice I don't want solid I want future ace I want electric over powering stuff. IDK maybe I'm greedy.

Its funny cuz "This message is hidden because BoysBullsM'sFan is on your ignore list."

Its already been written about that McNamara had Hultzen as his favorite for a long time now. They did what they were supposed to do and hid that fact from the media (didn't want Pittsburgh to take a heightened interest in Hultzen simply because we did, and Hultzen was already one of their top 3). Since the media didn't know about their interest in Hultzen, neither did we, and hence the "surprise" with the pick. But they took the guy who they believe is/was the best... player... available. If we had the first pick overall I think there's a solid chance they may have taken Hultzen over Cole. What we did not do is draft based on need, and that's what we all preach and pray the 'gods that be' do in the draft room.

They picked the guy with the least risk, which does not mean he has the least ability to contribute at the highest level. He may turn out to be one of the best LH SP in the league. He has the stuff and the constitution to be that kind of guy, especially if his slider develops to be an above average pitch.

With the "needs" this team has, this draft would be years away from filling those holes. By the time such a drafted player, picked to fill this "need", was MLB ready, that hole would have already been filled via FA or another player from the farm. That's why you never draft for need.

Say we happen to go with the scenario I proposed recently about Bedard signing a new contract for one year, and a second year as a mutual option... about $2M/yr guaranteed salary, but performance bonuses that could get up to maybe $10M/yr range. So we keep Bedard around to play next year, but trade him at the deadline, which makes room for Hultzen. Next year Bedard, if healthy all this time, will be a type A free agent if he continues like he's been pitching, and the trade brings in a top 3B (or C) prospect. We no longer have that "need" at 3B that we would have just drafted for.

Not just Bedard could be traded next year though, because Paxton may be ready for a late season call-up as well, and that makes Fister extendable. I know he's a #5 on our specific team, but right now his xFIP is 26th best in the AL, which with 14 teams in the AL makes him a weak #2 for a bad team, or a solid #3 for a good team, just based on this year's performances. In other words, our own opinions be damned, Fister has trade value. Next year, we move him and bring up Paxton, and maybe get a couple ace relievers and some farm depth in a trade. Vargas sticks around until Walker is ready, and again is traded to bring in more depth when the time is right.

We may have drafted a pitcher when we could have got a position player, but its not going to hurt the future depth of the team's farm system. This is where trades will eventually happen, and the depth will get better that way.
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 06-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

we didn't draft on need and we didn't take the BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    Not just Bedard could be traded next year though, because Paxton may be ready for a late season call-up as well, and that makes Fister extendable. I know he's a #5 on our specific team, but right now his xFIP is 26th best in the AL, which with 14 teams in the AL makes him a weak #2 for a bad team, or a solid #3 for a good team, just based on this year's performances. In other words, our own opinions be damned, Fister has trade value. Next year, we move him and bring up Paxton, and maybe get a couple ace relievers and some farm depth in a trade. Vargas sticks around until Walker is ready, and again is traded to bring in more depth when the time is right.

We may have drafted a pitcher when we could have got a position player, but its not going to hurt the future depth of the team's farm system. This is where trades will eventually happen, and the depth will get better that way.

He is 8th in tERA which is far greater than FIP and xFIP
    2011 Suck For Luck Campaign!
    Miami 0-3
    Colts 0-3
    Chiefs 0-3
    Seahawks 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Yendil View Post
    He is 8th in tERA which is far greater than FIP and xFIP
    Oh nice! Didn't even see that! In the AL we own four of the top 14 in tERA... and Bedard isn't one of them. Poor Bedard, he's #19.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Another thing to note about the draft, C/1B C.J. Cron was drafted #17 by the Angels, and is considered one of the top college power hitters in the draft... we took his younger prep brother, Kevin Cron, also a C/1B position player (forget him catching), at #92 in the 3rd round... the bigger/stronger younger brother. I sincerely hope we get him signed...

Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    Another thing to note about the draft, C/1B C.J. Cron was drafted #17 by the Angels, and is considered one of the top college power hitters in the draft... we took his younger prep brother, Kevin Cron, also a C/1B position player (forget him catching), at #92 in the 3rd round... the bigger/stronger younger brother. I sincerely hope we get him signed...
    That's funny because when I saw we drafted Cron I thought to myself, I thought the Angles drafted Cron.

Quote Originally Posted by MattColby View Post
    That's funny because when I saw we drafted Cron I thought to myself, I thought the Angles drafted Cron.
    I know, same here! I didn't think there could be a relation though, I thought I would have read about it sooner. Didn't even know the younger brother was looking to be drafted.

Goona take a 7 figure number to sign Kron i hope we are able to take him away from TCU.

we didn't draft on need and we didn't take the BPA.
    ...Hultzen was a top 5 pick he was one of the BPA its not like you could go wrong with any pick you made in the top 10 really unless your cheap. I just think your upset because we didn't take Rendon or one of the Highschool bats..

Hey, I came to see if you guys were talking about Trevor Miller. I went to Bret Harte High School with him, he's a real cool kid and a very decent pitcher. Look him up, he was taken in round 40 I believe. He's got the will to be one of the best so I hope he does good things for you guys.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast