Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
    BBMF, you do realize you're somewhat of an idiot, right?

On average left handed pitchers don't throw as fast as right handed pitchers. So the ones who are mid-90's are quite rare, especially if they can do it with finesse and control.

"It is better to be thought a fool and remain silent,
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I think that's getting added to my sig...

EDIT: I guess the exact quote goes:

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 06-07-2011 at 09:30 PM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    lol, thank you...

My main qualm with the Hultzen complaints is they all start with "but we need..." Those complaints automatically get filed under 'drafting for need', not BPA. But we need more fielders in the system... but we need a 3B... but we need a true SS...
    By the time Hultzen is up we probably wont have the same needs

Ian. Guest
    Well, considering the fact that JAC has a scouting report on Hultzen and it specifically says his ceiling is Cliff Lee, I think it's pretty reasonable to mention him in the same conversation as Lee.

LHSP Average velocity:
    Cliff Lee- 90.1
    Cole Hamels- 92
    CC Sabathia 92.9
    Jorge de la Rosa- 92.7
    Jon Lester- 92.5
    Ricky Romero- 92.2
    Brett Anderson 90.9
    Jaime Garcia 89.6

In fact, 93 MPH is 14th on the list of hardest fastball velocity in the MLB. But what do I know?

Ahhh **** it, he's back on ignore... I'm done with it. That last post tipped the kettle.

EDIT:

"BoysBullsM'sFan
    This message is hidden because BoysBullsM'sFan is on your ignore list."

Ahhhh....

Ian. Guest
    Every left handed pitcher needs to average 97 MPH to be effective. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Every left handed pitcher needs to average 97 MPH to be effective. Duh.
    Hultzen will probably be effective mostly for his FB and change speed differential, and his ability to hide the ball in his delivery, making his pitches very deceptive and hard to decipher until they are right on the batter. Add in a half decent slider that should improve a little with time and he should have enough to succeed right away up here, although I hope he doesn't show up until 2012, for his own sake of controlled progress in the minors. With good control, a solid understanding of how to pitch effectively, and enough juice on the FB, its easy to understand why he's expected to be the first pitcher to reach the majors.

Ian. Guest
    Also, Hultzen is basically a direct replacement for Erik Bedard. It's really hard to hate as close to a major league starter as you're going to get in a draft. Many of these guys won't do anything but drafting a guy like Hultzen adds value because he could have a much easier/shorter ride to the major leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Also, Hultzen is basically a direct replacement for Erik Bedard. It's really hard to hate as close to a major league starter as you're going to get in a draft. Many of these guys won't do anything but drafting a guy like Hultzen adds value because he could have a much easier/shorter ride to the major leagues.
    Erik Bedard without the injury problems? Yeah I'm ok with that.

Less velocity, better control though.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    Erik Bedard without the injury problems? Yeah I'm ok with that.

Less velocity, better control though.
    With Bedard averaging about 91 on his FB, Hultzen would probably have a higher velocity, or maybe about the same. Hard to say when you're looking at average speeds.

Had the UVA 2011 stats page open to look at Hultzen and remembered Hicks' stats are on the same page, as well as Steven Proscia, their 3B we drafted. First off, Hicks has shown one nice trend over the last three years: patience and contact. His SO's have dropped from 40 to 29 to 18 this year, while his walks have risen from 10 to 16 to 17 (over about 63 games). As a progressive ratio of K:BB that's 4:1 to 1.8:1 to almost 1:1. At the same time he has 7 HR so far this year, and Proscia currently has 8 (Rendon has 6). Hicks is batting .339, Proscia is batting .341 (Rendon is batting .327). To be frank, both these guys have very similar stats both this year and the previous two years, and are arguably two of the best batters on their team. For being the 123rd and 213th picks they aren't too bad.

Just a side note, its interesting how GMZ and McNamara drafted Hultzen, Hicks and Proscia all in the same draft out of UVA, and previously did a similar thing with Ackley and Seager at UNC... worked pretty good with Ackley and Seager, so lets hope this one works out good as well!

Also just read that Carter Capps has reached 96 mph... at 6'5" 220 that's probably a sustainable power pitch.

Here's MLB.com's pre-draft review on Hultzen, for those who haven't seen it yet. They say his slider is already MLB average, so that's good.

"College pitchers who perform, particularly in a strong conference, will always move up boards as the Draft approaches and do well on Draft day. Not only has Hultzen been as consistent, if not moreso, than any other pitcher in this class, his stuff has been better than anticipated, moving him into an elite category.

His fastball is now a plus pitch, up to 95 mph, with his increased velocity and good sink. He's got a plus changeup, thrown around 82-83 mph, thrown with deception and with plenty of sink. His slider isn't as sharp, but is should be at least average down the line. He's got above-average to plus control and advanced command, throwing in and out at will.

A lefty with outstanding pitchability and plus stuff, not to mention plus poise and instincts, is rare indeed and is a reason why Hultzen is being discussed by several teams picking at the very, very top of the Draft."
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 06-07-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Seattle4Ever Guest
    Ian sighting.

Had the UVA 2011 stats page open to look at Hultzen and remembered Hicks' stats are on the same page, as well as Steven Proscia, their 3B we drafted. First off, Hicks has shown one nice trend over the last three years: patience and contact. His SO's have dropped from 40 to 29 to 18 this year, while his walks have risen from 10 to 16 to 17 (over about 63 games). As a progressive ratio of K:BB that's 4:1 to 1.8:1 to almost 1:1. At the same time he has 7 HR so far this year, and Proscia currently has 8 (Rendon has 6). Hicks is batting .339, Proscia is batting .341 (Rendon is batting .327). To be frank, both these guys have very similar stats both this year and the previous two years, and are arguably two of the best batters on their team. For being the 123rd and 213th picks they aren't too bad.

Just a side note, its interesting how GMZ and McNamara drafted Hultzen, Hicks and Proscia all in the same draft out of UVA, and previously did a similar thing with Ackley and Seager at UNC... worked pretty good with Ackley and Seager, so lets hope this one works out good as well!
    Another note: Hultzen was ACC pitcher of the year twice. Brad Miller was ACC player of the year. They blew their wad on the ACC.

They selected 5 members of the All-ACC team (Hultzen, Miller, Hicks, Proscia, McGee) and one second team All-ACC player (Melendres). 3 of their first 5 and 4 of their first 8 picks were on All-ACC.

If you want to predict who they'll pick tomorrow, check who's still available from those two rosters.

Fun fact: Danny Hultzen was actually All-ACC all three years at Virginia, but in 2009 he made the team as a first baseman and not a pitcher and also won Freshman of the year. That was the same year Ackley won ACC player of the year and Kyle Seager was also on that team while Brian Moran and James Gilheeny were on the second team.

I'm starting to think Tom Macnamera has a a second family down in ACC territory.

More evidence: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rmid=head_main

Also just read that Carter Capps has reached 96 mph... at 6'5" 220 that's probably a sustainable power pitch.

Here's MLB.com's pre-draft review on Hultzen, for those who haven't seen it yet. They say his slider is already MLB average, so that's good.

"College pitchers who perform, particularly in a strong conference, will always move up boards as the Draft approaches and do well on Draft day. Not only has Hultzen been as consistent, if not moreso, than any other pitcher in this class, his stuff has been better than anticipated, moving him into an elite category.

His fastball is now a plus pitch, up to 95 mph, with his increased velocity and good sink. He's got a plus changeup, thrown around 82-83 mph, thrown with deception and with plenty of sink. His slider isn't as sharp, but is should be at least average down the line. He's got above-average to plus control and advanced command, throwing in and out at will.

A lefty with outstanding pitchability and plus stuff, not to mention plus poise and instincts, is rare indeed and is a reason why Hultzen is being discussed by several teams picking at the very, very top of the Draft."
    From what I have read we rocked it this draft. I am stoked

Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    I like the nicknames... Mac and Jack... the alcoholic in me approves!

Glad to know that this was the guy they've wanted all along. Or at least this is a guy they've had reason to believe in all along. I thought it was a smart/safe pick at the onset, but the more I read about it and think about it I like it even more.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast