Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESPNLA: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar feels 'slighted' by LA Lakers no statue at Staples

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6563112

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won five world championships as a Los Angeles Laker and remains the NBA's all-time leading scorer, believes the franchise owes him a statue outside Staples Center and feels "slighted" that it hasn't already happened.

There are five statues outside the arena recognizing Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Chick Hearn, Wayne Gretzky and Oscar De La Hoya. Abdul-Jabbar believes it's high time the Lakers do the right thing and make him the sixth athlete so honored.

"I don't understand (it). It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted," Abdul-Jabbar told The Sporting News in a recent interview. "I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

The six-time NBA MVP sounded even more offended in a statement released subsequently by his business manager.

"I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success," Abdul-Jabbar was quoted as saying. "I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."

Abdul-Jabbar won six NBA titles in all and was part of three NCAA championship teams during his reign of greatness at UCLA. His accomplishments also include selection to a record 19 NBA All-Star teams (he played in 18).

Lakers spokesman John Black indicated to The Sporting News that Abdul-Jabbar is next in line to get a statue outside Staples Center.

"We've been at Staples Center 11 years and have two ex-players (Johnson and West) who have statues now," Black said, according to TSN. "It's not like we do it every year; we have no timetable. Whenever we do the next statue of the third Los Angeles Lakers player, it (will be) Kareem -- and he has been told that.

"Again, we didn't say when that was going to be. It could be next year, the year after or several years from now."

Several weeks ago, the Boston Celtics announced that Hall of Fame center Bill Russell will be honored with a statue in the city of Boston -- more than 40 years after his playing days for the Celtics ended.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

lol .....
    \_(ツ)_/

West just got one this year and he was retired longer than Kreem has been.

He DOES have a point LA....
    A message to Lebron haters

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24
    I wasted too much of my time rooting against other superstars, and started the LeBron era hating him too. I'm glad I got over this, because I think he is unlike anything the game has ever seen...and to be robbed of enjoying that because I hate his greatness would be awful.

"Where's my statue?!"

In all seriousness, he deserves one. But damn... five statues already?

imagine.. statue for every lakers and celtics legends for their arenas. lol

What a whiny *****
    Mavs fan first and foremost, and a closet Pistons fan since 2002

he's right. they don't even appreciate the man

They don't have a timetable set, so unless they promised him one relatively soon, I'm not sure why he's complaining. Doesn't seem like they crank them out at a high rate or anything. Did someone promise him one now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also the Laker fans on psd really don't appreciate him. 90% are immature and say Kobe all day long. Kareem deserves one, no doubt about that.

The lakers that do have a statue were lifelong Lakers. Kareem was a Buck also. Probably why Wilt doesn't have one either.

He might get one and I wouldn't be mad at all. The Captain was the man but look how long it took West to get one and Russel is just now getting a statue.
    Last edited by championships; 05-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.

What ships said. He'll get his next.

Quote Originally Posted by naps View Post
    Also the Laker fans on psd really don't appreciate him. 90% are immature and say Kobe all day long. Kareem deserves one, no doubt about that.
    You Spew nonsense.

Most laker fans appreciate the "Captain"

You will get one Kareem, just shut the hell up for now. Buss and the rest of the Lakers have a lot more to worry about.

He should feel slighted - I mean they got a bust of Pippen in the UC and even Pippen was never no KAJ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast