Game 6 (if necessary): Monday April 25, TBD
    Game 7 (if necessary):Wednesday April 27 TBD

Leading Scorers

Goals: Alex Ovechkin: 32
    Assists: Alex Ovechkin: 53

Goals: Brandon Dubinsky: 24
    Assits: Brandon Dubinsky: 30

More Stats

Last edited by McJoe; 04-12-2011 at 07:34 PM.

King Henrik is the only thing standing in the way of the Rags getting swept.

Rangers in six. King Henrik is the key to this series and the Rangers team has to play well around him.

In the playoffs, it sometimes only takes a great goalie to lead you to the promise land.

I mean was King Henrik the only reason the Rangers took the Caps to game 7, leading the series at one point 2 years ago?

The Rangers are a much better team than they look on paper or in the standings.

The Caps will be looking to win each game by being a better offensive team than us, by outscoring us. In an offensive minded style, meaning... Focus on getting the puck to our forwards, 3 forwards rushing for oddman advantages, run and gun, send an extra defender and by taking a ton of shots.

Its hard to win big games when your entire team is focused mostly on offense especially when your facing a team that...

1) is #2 on blocked shots. Whether its our reserve players, our taxi squad, or our top 20 players... Whoever is in our locker room before the game they are ready to sacrafice the body for any shot. Now its playoffs, and get ready for more blocked shots. Drury was #1 in blocked shots before his injury and even during his short stint with the Ranegrs this season he contunied to do his job
    2) When you have an elite goalie in net, who knows hes the man standing between the Rangers and their chances at winning every night.
    3) Staal And Girardi have always had chemistry on limiting the Great Ovechkin in producing for his team.

* The Rangers have a 3-1-0 record against the Caps. Shutting them out twice. Though the Caps have added some experience in their front line, the Rangers have found a new form of PP and have grown all as individuals and a team all together.

Yes thats right our PP is a much better one. Not only has McCabe helped the team on the blue line, Toroteralla has finally gotten these forwards to start moving even when they dont have the puck. This causes confusion for the defense, and a shot on net with the havoc we create... ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Now I have a feeling the Rangers will lose, but that does not mean it wont be a great series nor does it mean they dont have a great chance in taking the Caps.

Important info
    1) The Rangers have not only showed they can beat the top teams in the league all year long, they have shown they can play well, keep a lead and come back from one too.
    Top teams in the sense that they had a winning record and were in the playoffs. (Examples, Boston, Caps, Phili)

Its going to take 6.. Lundqvist will steal a game and the Caps will get blown out one game

Mlisica19, although you provide some definite facts you are incorrect on some things. The Caps will not be looking to win games with offense this playoff season. If you haven't noticed the Capitals are ranked 4th in GA/G this year and have switched to a more defensive style of hockey as seen since the trade deadline. You assume their entire team will be focused on offense which is blatantly false which has also been seen since the deadline. You are purely describing the Capitals of last year as this year we see them running the trap and keeping a forward back on rushes to protect against counter attacks. If Staal and Girardi limit Ovechkin's line and that's a big IF then the Caps will rely on their secondary scoring which was also upgraded with Sturm, Arnott and the inclusion of Johansson this season. I have seen and heard that the pairing of McCabe and Eminger is very unreliable and your other pairing contains two rookies with no playoff experience.

Of course Lundqvist will probably steal a game but he himself won't be able to contain the new "crash the net" offense the Caps now run. You mention the overwhelming shutouts of the Caps by the Rangers this year. Not only were the Rangers outshot but these games also occurred when the Caps were facing some of the toughest adversity in their franchises history. You also mention this new PP style. The Capitals have the 2nd best PK in the league.

Some Caps defensive stats to look at:

GA/G 2.33 4th in the league
    PK 85.6% 2nd in the league
    Shots Against/G 29.0 9th in the league
    FO % 51/6% 6th in the league
    First 34 games: 95 goals against
    Last 48 games: 96 goals against (A 14 game difference with only 1 more goal against)

Important playoff implications stat: After trailing after 1 period the Caps have won .489% of their games. 1st in the NHL.

Caps in 3. With Callahan out and the Rangers having not finished all that well down the stretch. Caps could be catching fire at the right time.

While that caps # about trailing is pretty impressive dont count out that the rangers are the only team this year to not loose a game if they take a lead into the third. Thats closing out damned well if you ask me. This series comes down to two factors.

1. Goaltending- If lundy can steal a game or two the rangers have a legitimate shot, but if the fact that he has played 25+ straight gets to him we could be in for a quick out.

2. Special teams- The ranger PK is not as impressive as it has been recently but hopefully the return of drury will fix that. If the rangers can go +3 in this set between goals allowed on the PK and goals scored its a win

Sadly i dont think they will be able to pull it out, I think it will go a full 7 and the rangers will show that they are very underrated by most but all in all i think the capitals consistancy will pay dividends. Homer pick; Rangers in 7 on the back of 2 lundy shutouts. Real pick: Caps in 6-7 with a blowout to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjoe View Post
    caps in 3. With callahan out and the rangers having not finished all that well down the stretch. Caps could be catching fire at the right time.
    3?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    3?
    It was a typo but yes lol. Caps might actually be ready this year especially if the Rangers PK isn't very good like a couple other posters said because it will make up for the mediocre Caps PP.

Ovechkin caught fire at the end of the season and if he continues, it could be a short series.

Lundqvist's hot streak also ended recently which doesn't help.

There's nothing wrong with the Rangers penalty kill. They also stay out of the box a lot more than Washington. I don't see this as a major factor in the series.

If the Capitals play a slow defensive style then they're playing right into the hands of the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the Rangers penalty kill. They also stay out of the box a lot more than Washington. I don't see this as a major factor in the series.

If the Capitals play a slow defensive style then they're playing right into the hands of the Rangers.
    This would be true if the Rangers had an ounce of offensive depth. You guys are really going to rely on Dubinsky, Gaborik and I guess Drury to get it done. The Caps can go top to bottom with guys who can score goals. We're ****ing scratching Eric Fehr.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFan75 View Post
    This would be true if the Rangers had an ounce of offensive depth. You guys are really going to rely on Dubinsky, Gaborik and I guess Drury to get it done. The Caps can go top to bottom with guys who can score goals. We're ****ing scratching Eric Fehr.

Well since you're the stat man try taking a look at goals scored this season.

You wrote a nice little paragraph about the Capitals defense. Too bad the Rangers only gave up one more goal this season.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Well since you're the stat man try taking a look at goals scored this season.

You wrote a nice little paragraph about the Capitals defense. Too bad the Rangers only gave up one more goal this season.
    While I'm checking the goals scored maybe you take a glance at the standings. Maybe take a moment to realize why you had to wait until the last day to make the playoffs. I'm not even a Caps fan and I can see these things. The Rangers offensive depth consists of Gaborik, Drury, Dubinsky, Prospal, Wolski and Boyle compared to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Knuble, Semin, Arnott, Laich, Sturm, and Johansson.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast