Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MVP standards...

After,
    Debating for days about who should be the MVP of the league and why i had to form a question. What are the standards to become the MVP. Many feel it should be the best player on the best team in the league. Some feel it should be done by the numbers because numbers doesnt lie. Other people feel its strickly PR whom ever is the golden boy of the league at the time.

Many years there have been discussions on players who have been robbed of the award.

Some people feel the MVP has to be the guy who's team is number #1 in the league.
    To my knowledge there isnt a standard on what defines who the MVP is.

Many players have been (robbed) of the award and IMO it hasnt been a valid MVP since the MJ days when clearly it was him who was the MVP.

So i ask you guys what are the standards, or requirements to be named the MVP of the league.

WE ARE AT WAR!!!!

standards change every year. there really isn't no clear cut standard on who should be voted mvp. if there was, jordan would have won every year. it goes year by year.

Whoever brings me a spicy chicken sandwich can be MVP. Those are the standards.

Well normally MVP is decided by "best story".
    Imo, the MVP is the combination of statistical brilliance, value to respective team and being apart of one of the top teams (so record of that team).

Quote Originally Posted by D Roses Bulls View Post
    standards change every year. there really isn't no clear cut standard on who should be voted mvp. if there was, jordan would have won every year. it goes year by year.
    ok,
    can you give some examples of what you MAY think the standards are.

WE ARE AT WAR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    Whoever brings me a spicy chicken sandwich can be MVP. Those are the standards.
    Really thats how threads become...

WE ARE AT WAR!!!!

like above, its a combination of Team Success, players statistical feats and the value said player has on his team
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

I don't think theres any risk of this thread being derailed by a spicy chicken sandwich. Although they are quite delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    I don't think theres any risk of this thread being derailed by a spicy chicken sandwich. Although they are quite delicious.
    Oh trust me,
    the smallest things turn things ugly, my intent is too keep this classy.. And just focus on the topic.

WE ARE AT WAR!!!!

I look at MVP as in who has carried his team the most (stats+team record+clutch factor - surrounding cast)

As we can see, RZZZA seems very disinterested in this so I'll start... lol.

I think MVP standards are based on how valuable, important you are to your team... statistics obviously... and of course you're team needs to be doing pretty good. I remember bringing up the past five MVP winners and their respective teams were all 1st or 2nd in their respective conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs rose View Post
    ok,
    can you give some examples of what you MAY think the standards are.
    well I can't give specifics. they are the reasons they are. I mean I thought wade should of beat out lebron two years ago, but didnt, but i also think winning should have something to do with it as well. it's hard, i mean thats why they are they way they are. standards change every year. usually though mvp goes off by expectations the voters have of a player and whether they meet/exceed them or not.

anyone but rose

Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    Imo, the MVP is the combination of statistical brilliance, value to respective team and being apart of one of the top teams (so record of that team).
    but seriouisly this.the standard is based on the individual voter,each having different ideas for what the award is/what the standard should be.so with such a diverse body there/will never be a one true standard.but as koz said it usually goes to whomever is "the story" weather that be best statistical year(they actually use to have a separate award for that called the ibm prize,but that a brief experiment that never caught on) ,and massive jump in wins for a team from one year to the next,or simply as a reward to the best team(giving to the best player on that team).
    Last edited by abe_froman; 04-08-2011 at 01:49 AM.

The criteria imo

-Have to be at least a top 3 seed with even 2&3 being tough
    -Not a criteria but it helps alot to exceed expectations
    -Your team needs to be considered a contender
    -Your stats have to be pretty to the eye of the average fan at least
    -your team can't go below expectations
    -the media needs to like your story

Obviously if someone does great in all but one category they fail then they can still win mvp the criteria aren't absolute. But the more criteria you fall under the better our chances are.

Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    sounds right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast