Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Night the Mets lost Duaner Sanchez

http://nysports247.com/?p=250

The Night the Mets lost Duaner Sanchez
    Published on March 22, 2011
    by Jeff Chow

It was four and a half years ago when Duaner Sanchez’s ill-fated cab ride in Miami prompted the Mets to look for a new reliever. The team’s setup man for the first 4 months of the season had severely injured his pitching shoulder in a fluke car accident, as it was announced on the day of Major League Baseball’s trading deadline that Sanchez would miss the remainder of the season. Mets’ GM Omar Minaya knew he needed to act swiftly in finding someone to fill that 8th inning role. By the end of the day, the Mets had found themselves two new pitchers – veteran reliever Roberto Hernandez and enigmatic starter Oliver Perez.

Perez, who to that point had a lost season (lost his job in Pittsburgh’s rotation with an ERA over 6.00), would eventually find his way into the Met starting rotation that season following a short stint in AAA. Injuries helped clear the path for Perez in ’06, as the southpaw would find himself becoming the Mets’ starter in games 4 and 7 of the NLCS against the St. Louis Cardinals.

With a little tutelage from then pitching coach Rick Peterson, Perez had revitalized his career wearing orange and blue. Ollie P would follow-up a strong finish to the 2006 campaign, with back-to-back solid seasons in ’07 and ’08. Rick Peterson’s reclamation project had hit the open market and was looking to cash in.

Minaya, determined to bring back the key piece in one of the trades that highlighted his reign as Met GM, handed out a 3 year/$36 million dollar contract to retain the services of Perez. Ironically enough, this is the contract that would define Omar Minaya’s tenure here, which ultimately cost him his job a couple of seasons later. Perez went on to put up consecutive sub-par seasons for the Mets, as the lefty who once threw 95 mph with ease, struggled mightily with both his velocity and location. Mets fans had turned on the left-hander, who saw a pitcher that suddenly resembled the pitcher the Pirates were eager to deal away 4 years prior.

Perez came into training camp this year, looking to compete for a spot in the rotation. He was quickly eliminated as a candidate for either the #4 or #5 starter’s job and then was soon removed from the competition of filling out the bullpen. With that, the Mets decided to give Perez his release yesterday, choosing to eat the remaining $12 million left on his salary. In the end, both sides lost out. The Mets lost the financial flexibility to allow them to pursue other possible targets because of money invested in him and other underperforming players, while Perez will look to latch onto another team and save a career that’s hanging in the balance short of his 30th birthday.

And one can only look back to that fateful night in Miami, four and a half years ago, and wonder what might have been had that accident never happened. As it turned out, while it was Duaner Sanchez that got in that cab that night, it was the New York Mets who got taken for a ride.

Good read but to say that if Sanchez was never in an accident would of led to Ollie never getting a shot is a bit too much

I see the Perez tenure as a Met in 2 ways and that is how I ultimately define the Minaya era.

1st 2 plus years of Perez you got a guy that help this team be a winner for those 2 years in 07-08 and the guy who once he got paid **** the bed.

Like Sanchez, Perez was a guy Minaya got from the **** heap that looked to be a great move for a couple of years.

Anyways had Minaya and the Mets signed Lowe who I was a big proponent of, Perez would of not been a Met.

Quote Originally Posted by jkiddvc20 View Post
    Good read but to say that if Sanchez was never in an accident would of led to Ollie never getting a shot is a bit too much
    as crazy as that seems... thats the reality.

we never would have been exposed to perez, heck we might have even gotten the two excellent years nady provided to other clubs .. (at which point we may not have ever been exposed to jeff francouer) and we would have had better production in 2007 than shawn green (.6 WAR vs 1.1 WAR for XN) and in 2008 with Ryan Church (1.6 vs 3.6)

dun dun dunnnnnn

This is a gross over simplification of the story:

With a little tutelage from then pitching coach Rick Peterson, Perez had revitalized his career wearing orange and blue. Ollie P would follow-up a strong finish to the 2006 campaign, with back-to-back solid seasons in ’07 and ’08. Rick Peterson’s reclamation project had hit the open market and was looking to cash in
    Fact is Ollie struggled mightily in early 2008. When Warthen came in, he told Ollie to just do what feels comfortable, and Ollie -- like Pelfrey -- started pitching lights out.

For a while. Then they returned to form.

To credit Warthen for their turnaround is as wrong as blaming Peterson for their failings. Maybe Peterson did have Ollie make an adjustment that proved beneficial in 2006. But whatever it was, it didn't last.

I'm reminded of the Robin Williams-Robert DeNiero movie, "Awakenings" in which Williams experimented with comitose pattients by giving them "El-Dopa."

The results were miraculous but temporary. They came out of their comas and started acting like they had 20 and 30 years earlier, before they went into their "sleep." But soon enough, they reverted back to their coma-like state, never to return.

Peterson may have woken Ollie in 2006 just like Warthen did in 2008 but neither could keep him from going back into his coma for very long.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 03-23-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by joe! View Post
    as crazy as that seems... thats the reality.

we never would have been exposed to perez, heck we might have even gotten the two excellent years nady provided to other clubs .. (at which point we may not have ever been exposed to jeff francouer) and we would have had better production in 2007 than shawn green (.6 WAR vs 1.1 WAR for XN) and in 2008 with Ryan Church (1.6 vs 3.6)

dun dun dunnnnnn
    and what of the 2 years in which Perez played well? The Mets won 88 and 89 games those years and Perez was a big part of the rotation.

..and again I will repeat this, if they had signed Lowe, Perez would not been resigned.

FoC excellent analogy - but not nearly as excellent as the film you mentioned.

wow was that a quality film or what? a personal favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    and what of the 2 years in which Perez played well? The Mets won 88 and 89 games those years and Perez was a big part of the rotation.

..and again I will repeat this, if they had signed Lowe, Perez would not been resigned.
    perez wasnt the greatest in either 07 or 08 as he didnt even pitch 200+ innings. in fact he was a marginal pitcher then that was pitching on a pretty good ball club. a WAR of 2.2 in 2007 and 1.3 in 2008 wasnt that tremendous. the thing about that is that we dont know who else could have been pitching in his place. had the mets never obtained him, he never slots into the rotation for 07 and 08 and they could have had a guy who was better.

you would have to imagine that the mets would have looked to bolster the pitching after 2006 regardless of the results of that season.

looking back to the free agent crop of the offseason after 2006 there were a lot of names on there that were always mentioned as guys who we favored over perez, who came at less cost overall.

obviously, this is sort of a tongue in cheek type of thread but the reality is that the mets could have made a nice run over the 06-08 period without perez.

Well who would of started game 7 of the NLCS?

Yes his WAR were not great by any means, but again he was a big part of the rotation both those years.

Could the Mets gotten a better pitcher? maybe maybe not.

Point is so many things could of gone in different directions that I find it hard to blame all the things that went wrong to that particular incident.

..and I will say it a 3rd time, if the Mets would of signed Lowe, there would of been no Perez for 3 years 36 million and While the Lowe contract is pretty bad in itself at least they got a pitcher who would of pitch close to 200 innings. Also while his ERA have not been great, his FIP shows that he pitched better than his ERA showed.

yeah i was all about lowe as well but the contract is another tough pill to swallow. i think you and i can both agree that other clubs have selected pitchers who have pitched better than both have, and for far less.

In retrospect, the right guy to sign that winter was probably Randy Wolf.

Some people around here were screaming that, and I give them credit for that opinion. I was a poor misguided Ollie fan at the time.

Don't worry. He's got this.

theres one name that has performed very well over that same period and gives you just about 200 innings each year over the last 3 years. hypothetically speaking, if minaya had interest in wolfin 2008 as well as in 2009 you would have to assume he would have liked him in 2007 when he was also available.

wolf gave you better numbers than ollie in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

that damn hindsight !

...and well Wolf himself was signed to a bad contract.

If Omar only walked away from Perez when he became a free agent, and collected the two picks.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If Omar only walked away from Perez when he became a free agent, and collected the two picks.
    Well in the end that was what some considered his biggest mistake. I personally think it was Bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast