Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How would you handle this?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Start him right away

16 76.19%
  • Hold him to gain an extra year of controlled salary

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Pineda

Michael Pineda

Figured this could deserve it's own thread, seems interesting enough.

There's word that the 5th spot in the rotation is his to lose, and reason are interesting if true:

One consideration that was mentioned to me today was that the team doesn't want to risk alienating any player who is clearly ready for the bigs by holding him back because of service time issues. That, in the end, the risk of hampering a player's development by ticking him off because you've left him in the minors would likely negate any value of gaining that extra year of service time.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ael_pined.html

Would it anger Michael Pineda to have his potential 2017 season shortchanged? Probably, but the Mariners would have seven years to make it up to him. If he turns into the sort of player where this move pays off for the Mariners, there’s nothing stopping them from paying better than expected dollar in his arbitration seasons.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...iner-rotation/

So basically, unless I'm reading into this completely wrong, the Mariners are taking the moral high ground and treating Pineda fairly by starting him right away instead of holding him for another month or so to gain an extra year of controlled salary. Do you guys like this approach, or do you hope they take the financial route and hold him to gain that extra year?

I don't think service time really matters that much with pitchers if there ready. Ackley is a different case he definitley is not ready defensively and he has Scott Boras as his agent. If Ackley becomes a Star it will be hard to resign him before he hits free agency because of Boras.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 03-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.

i want to see in in AAA to get a little more finish on his secondary pitches. Also that way he can control is IP better and he can work longer into the summer

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    I don't think service time really matters that much with pitchers if there ready. Ackley is a different case he definitley is not ready defensively and he has Scott Boras as his agent. If Ackley becomes a Star it will be hard to resign him before he hits free agency because of Boras.
    You win.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    i want to see in in AAA to get a little more finish on his secondary pitches. Also that way he can control is IP better and he can work longer into the summer
    From what I've read there's pretty mixed opinions on whether or not his secondary pitches are ready or not. I'd say if he's the 5th best pitcher, let him be the 5th starter.

Our rotation would be pretty sick if everything pans out:

Felix
    Vargas
    Bedard (HEALTHY)
    Fister
    Pineda

im more concerned about his IP to go with the secondary. I would rather see him pitch later into the season by controlling his innings now. Let him work on his secondary stuff and prevent elbow problems. Which are still a concern for him.

im more concerned about his IP to go with the secondary. I would rather see him pitch later into the season by controlling his innings now. Let him work on his secondary stuff and prevent elbow problems. Which are still a concern for him.
    I think those concerns are minimal at best and he should start the season in the bigs.

Bring him up and let him go. The kids filthy

I agree, to a degree. If his "stuff" honestly needs refinement, then its best to do it in the minors. But if its sufficient enough, and he can work on it more up here, then he should be up here. In terms of his IP and such limitations, I don't think it matters where he is, as he'll be under strict supervision and restrictions no matter what.

They'll most likely treat him like they did Felix in the past: 100 pitches max per start, and less if he has any significant "big innings" in a game (varying dependent on how bad the inning was, or how many bad innings he has). On top of the pitch count restrictions I think he'll be on an total IP restriction as well, my guess being in the range of 150-165 IP, depending on how they view his past seasons and the progress they think he can make right now. They may also cap his starts by only adding 2-3 over last year, so 27-28 this year. With the pitch count restrictions, unless he has high efficiency outings, I wouldn't expect more than 5-6 IP per start.

Next year he'll probably still have some restrictions, but if he completes this season pain and injury free, he'll certainly have fewer restrictions.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

From what I've read there's a lot of people that think he's at the point where his stuff still needs some work, but it's the kind of work he'd be better off getting in the majors. If that's the case there's really no reason to not call him up right away.

We'll just pull a Latos and say he injured his back sneezing. 15-day DL.

lol i remember that

He wouldnt have to go down for long to control him for another year and its not like the M's will contend so id say bring him up in a few weeks.

Honestly, its probably safe to start him up here right now, because he can't pitch the whole season anyway. Thing is he needs to stay healthy, because a trip to the DL still accrues service time... he needs to be demoted to the minors. Once he starts to get near the end of his IP cap its not a stretch of the imagination that he may start getting fatigued and need a trip to Tacoma anyway... kinda like Fister had issues last year. Its just not very likely he can be superman all season to the end of his IP cap, not with his history. He petered out last season, and I think its reasonable to expect him to do it again this year once he gets to a certain point in the season (should go longer before struggling this year though).

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

It's more than controlled salary, it's an extra year before he becomes a free agent. If you were all asked this question in June, you'd all look back and say these two months of sporadic pitching was not worth losing a full year of control over Pineda or having to pay him big dollars a year sooner.

It's two months, the correct decision is obvious.'

Send him to Tacoma, limit his pitches and then call him up mid-June and let the snow ball start rolling down the hill into next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast