Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Lent

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    I never understood the point of Lent.... if something is bad enough to give up for 40 days then why not just give it up permanently? I'm sorry but I just never saw the logic in it.
    you are not supposed to give up something bad, you are supposed to give up something you enjoy, good things. Its not a new years revolution

    You are supposed to endure what Jesus went through after spending 40 days in the desert
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    20,521


    This got moved here?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    25,196
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    you are not supposed to give up something bad, you are supposed to give up something you enjoy, good things. Its not a new years revolution

    You are supposed to endure what Jesus went through after spending 40 days in the desert
    What's the point though?


    I am not trying to be insensitive or anything, I am a devout christian. I am genuinely curious as to why people partake in Lent. I mean Jesus fasting in desert and giving up something for Lent are two completely different inherent ideas. Fasting is a lot more than giving something up and Jesus had a purpose for it.... we as humans really don't.
    Last edited by Raidaz4Life; 03-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.


    Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,165
    I give up meat on fridays, but that's only because I love fish and when I was a kid we never ate meat on fridays. I went years where I would eat meat on fridays, but anymore I don't. But it really has nothing to do with lent as much as i just like fish, and it's easier to make sure I eat meat by saying oh it's lent I should eat more fish.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    What's the point though?


    I am not trying to be insensitive or anything, I am a devout christian. I am genuinely curious as to why people partake in Lent. I mean Jesus fasting in desert and giving up something for Lent are two completely different inherent ideas. Fasting is a lot more than giving something up and Jesus had a purpose for it.... we as humans really don't.
    Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and avoided the temptation of the devil, by giving up something for 40 days, you are emulating the actions of Jesus

    Humans are not equal to Jesus and cannot be expected to do the same things, lent is a small sacrifice to pay tribute to His actions

    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I give up meat on fridays, but that's only because I love fish and when I was a kid we never ate meat on fridays. I went years where I would eat meat on fridays, but anymore I don't. But it really has nothing to do with lent as much as i just like fish, and it's easier to make sure I eat meat by saying oh it's lent I should eat more fish.
    not eating meat on Fridays is a part of lent that everyone is meant to partake in, it is not considered giving up anything
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,165
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and avoided the temptation of the devil, by giving up something for 40 days, you are emulating the actions of Jesus

    Humans are not equal to Jesus and cannot be expected to do the same things, lent is a small sacrifice to pay tribute to His actions



    not eating meat on Fridays is a part of lent that everyone is meant to partake in, it is not considered giving up anything
    yes i know that, but that's as much as I do. I am full aware what lent is

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    25,196
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Jesus went into the desert for 40 days and avoided the temptation of the devil, by giving up something for 40 days, you are emulating the actions of Jesus

    Humans are not equal to Jesus and cannot be expected to do the same things, lent is a small sacrifice to pay tribute to His actions



    not eating meat on Fridays is a part of lent that everyone is meant to partake in, it is not considered giving up anything
    Jesus was sent into the desert to resist temptation.... which means bad things.... correct? Therefore wouldn't the purpose of Lent be to resist temptation? Meaning giving up bad things? I keep reading its supposed to sacrifice some sort of temptation that draws us away from God/Jesus so that we may be closer to him.... yet wouldn't that be something we should aspire to do permanently? I'm really not seeing the point of us paying tribute to something that was necessary for Christ. In order to be the Messiah Jesus had to resist all temptation and the 40 days in the desert was the overall symbolic way of showing Christ's perfection. God was setting aside a specific scenario for Jesus to be tested outside of everyday life.... where it would be harder than usual. I don't see how that relates to us as Christians at all unless there were somewhere that said God was using Satan to test as more than usual during the 40 days of Lent.... which most of us would agree that he doesn't. Giving up something you enjoy just for the sake of it just doesn't hold a whole lot of logic to me..... now giving up something you enjoy for the sake of being closer to God does.... but then again if that were the case why would the church only encourage us to do that during Lent but deem it acceptable the remainder of the year? Am I making any sense here?


    I am not trying to bait or anything... I have always considered participating in Lent for tradition's sake but can't find the personal spiritual benefit in doing so.


    Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,441
    Back in my churchy days, I was always so happy around this time of year that I belonged to a denomination that didn't practice Lent. Where I lived in IL was really catholic, so most of the people I knew gave something up, and there were fish fries everywhere (which was definitely nice).

    I had a friend that gave up talking for Lent once.


    "There's no better public education than teaching kids that they should have been born to a parent who could afford their cancer treatments." - @LOLGOP

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Jesus was sent into the desert to resist temptation.... which means bad things.... correct? Therefore wouldn't the purpose of Lent be to resist temptation? Meaning giving up bad things? I keep reading its supposed to sacrifice some sort of temptation that draws us away from God/Jesus so that we may be closer to him.... yet wouldn't that be something we should aspire to do permanently? I'm really not seeing the point of us paying tribute to something that was necessary for Christ. In order to be the Messiah Jesus had to resist all temptation and the 40 days in the desert was the overall symbolic way of showing Christ's perfection. God was setting aside a specific scenario for Jesus to be tested outside of everyday life.... where it would be harder than usual. I don't see how that relates to us as Christians at all unless there were somewhere that said God was using Satan to test as more than usual during the 40 days of Lent.... which most of us would agree that he doesn't. Giving up something you enjoy just for the sake of it just doesn't hold a whole lot of logic to me..... now giving up something you enjoy for the sake of being closer to God does.... but then again if that were the case why would the church only encourage us to do that during Lent but deem it acceptable the remainder of the year? Am I making any sense here?


    I am not trying to bait or anything... I have always considered participating in Lent for tradition's sake but can't find the personal spiritual benefit in doing so.
    You seem to still be fixed on having to give up bad things. The point is to sacrifice things you enjoy (good or bad doesnt matter, who says coke is bad? who says beer is bad?) Both sacrificing something, avoiding the temptation to indulge in what we are sacrificing, and keeping your commitment to God are all directly related to what Jesus did. Like I said, you attempt to emulate the actions of Jesus to further appreciate and honor them, as well as fulfill a commitment to God. I don't think I can be much clearer than that.

    And I know you aren't baiting, I rarely ever participate in the lent stuff, I'm just giving you the explanation behind it
    Last edited by rhino17; 03-08-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    20,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Jesus was sent into the desert to resist temptation.... which means bad things.... correct? Therefore wouldn't the purpose of Lent be to resist temptation? Meaning giving up bad things? I keep reading its supposed to sacrifice some sort of temptation that draws us away from God/Jesus so that we may be closer to him.... yet wouldn't that be something we should aspire to do permanently? I'm really not seeing the point of us paying tribute to something that was necessary for Christ. In order to be the Messiah Jesus had to resist all temptation and the 40 days in the desert was the overall symbolic way of showing Christ's perfection. God was setting aside a specific scenario for Jesus to be tested outside of everyday life.... where it would be harder than usual. I don't see how that relates to us as Christians at all unless there were somewhere that said God was using Satan to test as more than usual during the 40 days of Lent.... which most of us would agree that he doesn't. Giving up something you enjoy just for the sake of it just doesn't hold a whole lot of logic to me..... now giving up something you enjoy for the sake of being closer to God does.... but then again if that were the case why would the church only encourage us to do that during Lent but deem it acceptable the remainder of the year? Am I making any sense here?


    I am not trying to bait or anything... I have always considered participating in Lent for tradition's sake but can't find the personal spiritual benefit in doing so.
    Hey man, definitely understanding of your POV. I was raised in a strict Greek Orthodox household, and we believe that Lent is not "giving up bad things" or "things that you enjoy" but its a preperation for the Great Pascha (Easter for Western Civs):

    We believe that the period before Pascha (Easter) and the Nativity (Christmas) are not times for celebration, as the western churches believe. The Orthodox Church, from the beginning of Christianity (read Eusebius, from the time of St. Constantine the Great, who quotes writers who knew personally the Apostles) has always seen these times as times of prayer, penitence, and fasting. We wait until the Birth of Christ and his Resurrection until we celebrate. Only then do we feast. In fact, for a week after these events, fasting is prohibited. We must, however, prepare ourselves for His Birth and Resurrection when they occur. Being all sinners, we cannot do this without penance, and that includes fasting.

    Notes on Fasting
    Fasting from foods is intended as spiritual preparation for an experience of deeper communion with God. Each person is a unity of body and soul. A right spiritual diet and a discipline of fasting go together and strengthen each other. Just as prayer benefits not only the soul but also the body so also fasting from foods benefits not only the body but also the soul. Fasting and prayer make us more sensitive to God's personal presence. At important times of their lives the Prophets fasted and prayed. So did Jesus, the Apostles, Saints and Church Fathers.

    Fasting must be undertaken willingly and not by compulsion. God doesn't need our fasting. We don't fast as a kind of personal punishment for our sins. We cannot pay God back for sins but we can only confess them to Him to receive forgiveness. Fasting with a willing spirit and not just with an attitude of fulfilling a religious obligation means that we keep the purposes of fasting always before us which is to develop self control and to remember God and His Kingdom. That way we fast not only in what we eat but also in how much we eat. Fasting is simplicity of eating. We leave the table not with loaded stomachs. Being a little hungry during the day becomes a constant reminder of God, of our dependence on Him, and of the fact that the Lord alone can give us "food that lasts for eternal life" (Jn 6:27). In fasting and prayer, he reveals Himself to us as our true food and drink.
    http://home.wavecable.com/~photios/fasting.htm

    Check this out too, its from the Metropolitan Maximos:
    http://assumptionem.org/Pages/Articl...g_Maximos.html

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    25,196
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    You seem to still be fixed on having to give up bad things. The point is to sacrifice things you enjoy (good or bad doesnt matter, who says coke is bad? who says beer is bad?) Both sacrificing something, avoiding the temptation to indulge in what we are sacrificing, and keeping your commitment to God are all directly related to what Jesus did. Like I said, you attempt to emulate the actions of Jesus to further appreciate and honor them, as well as fulfill a commitment to God. I don't think I can be much clearer than that.

    And I know you aren't baiting, I rarely ever participate in the lent stuff, I'm just giving you the explanation behind it
    Heres my point.... you are giving up something.... for the sake of giving up something.... Jesus went to the desert to fast because it was required of him. I believe that he was always destined to go out there in order to fulfill his obligation to be perfect and that event was the christian symbolism of his perfection. He was sent out there.... by God.... to be tempted.... specifically... outside of the daily routine.... to show he truly was flawless. Us giving up something that isn't necessarily bad to emulate the actions of something that was necessary for Jesus to do doesn't make sense. Jesus was required to resist temptation of things that would hinder his claim to the savior of the world.... we are resisting temptation to........? random things we decide we can go without for 40 days? I suppose my biggest issue with this is that neither God nor Jesus ever commands one to partake in Lent.... Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is pleasing to God to do so? You know? Why would I sacrifice meat on Friday's when there is no conformation that it pleases God one way or the other? I mean Jesus was also crucified and rose again in 3 days? Why do we not emulate that? I know it seems like I am baiting but it is very hard for me to accept something when the logic seems a bit skewed. I guess the point I was trying to make by "giving up bad things" was that isn't one theoretically a better person for participating in Lent? And if not then what personal motivation is there to partake in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    Hey man, definitely understanding of your POV. I was raised in a strict Greek Orthodox household, and we believe that Lent is not "giving up bad things" or "things that you enjoy" but its a preperation for the Great Pascha (Easter for Western Civs):



    http://home.wavecable.com/~photios/fasting.htm

    Check this out too, its from the Metropolitan Maximos:
    http://assumptionem.org/Pages/Articl...g_Maximos.html
    See I am more familiar with this belief. Purifying your mind in preparation for Easter. But even then.... wouldn't it be wrong that you are not already prepared for Easter? Isn't that something that one should aspire to always have the mindset for? Is it wrong that one must change their mindset to prepare for Easter then once it is over go back to the way things were? I am extremely sorry if I am offending anyone. I am very open about religion and love to understand people's beliefs especially if I do not necessarily agree with them. I am very strict with what I allow myself to do.... I do not believe in drinking or sexual intercourse so its not like I am just looking for reasons not to give something up. Its more like.... lets say I give up the moderate amount of television I watch.... do I really feel that is pleasing God in someway.... and if it is..... then why not aspire to give it up permanently? By deciding to eat a soy burger on friday instead of a hamburger.... am I really any closer to God? Am I really doing something to strengthen my relationship with the Lord? I mean by sacrificing something with no greater meaning.... is it really sacrifice? Couldn't I theoretically sacrifice choosing not to eat with a fork for 40 days and in the end wouldn't it be the same as someone choosing to give up sex for 40 days? Jesus was resisting the temptation of being offered to be made ruler of the entire world... and I am not eating with a fork? And once again if I am sacrificing something that makes me a better person or more pure in mind for Easter.... then shouldn't I always be aspiring to sacrifice it?


    I apologize if I am missing the point.... Lent seems like a rather ambiguous concept as it appears to be very open to interpretation.


    Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Craggy Island Parochial House
    Posts
    1,979
    Nothing.

    Think I even had meat last Good Friday. Some Catholic I am.

    “Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greer, SC
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post
    Nothing.

    Think I even had meat last Good Friday. Some Catholic I am.
    Same I consider myself catholic but I don't care about anything religous wise but I never disrespect it though.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,165
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Back in my churchy days, I was always so happy around this time of year that I belonged to a denomination that didn't practice Lent. Where I lived in IL was really catholic, so most of the people I knew gave something up, and there were fish fries everywhere (which was definitely nice).

    I had a friend that gave up talking for Lent once.
    You'll get a kick out of this.

    So many non catholics go to those, because as you said it's nice, because fried fish is awesome, that a church that was running it, had a few people suggest that if you were a member of the church or if they could figure out a way to know you went to church every week you could get seated first.

    I heard this second hand, of course the majority on the planning committee told them that was not how to run a fish fry.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    44,275
    Soda, junk food, and I will be watching televised mass twice a week (as well as going to mass as I usually do every Saturday Night)

    I'll also be the great person that I always am to everyone.

    Also, no meat on Wednesday and Fridays
    Last edited by jetsforever; 03-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •