Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lent

Raised Catholic but am not religious anymore. However, I try to use religious holidays to donate or volunteer whenever I can. For those like myself, Lent can be an opportunity to follow principles of religion(like 'sacrifice' in this case) for self-improvement.

I'm giving up lent for lent.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    I never understood the point of Lent.... if something is bad enough to give up for 40 days then why not just give it up permanently? I'm sorry but I just never saw the logic in it.
    It isn't always a bad thing that you are giving up. For example, I gave up playing video games a few years ago. That's not bad for me, its a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I'm giving up lent for lent.
    I used to say that.

"There's no better public education than teaching kids that they should have been born to a parent who could afford their cancer treatments." - @LOLGOP

Quote Originally Posted by 20R8ersfaN08 View Post
    Me n my wife were talking bout this last nite...
    she said "Give up watching sports!" , then I slapped her....
    lol... I know I shouldn't laugh but was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    Soda, junk food, and I will be watching televised mass twice a week (as well as going to mass as I usually do every Saturday Night)

I'll also be the great person that I always am to everyone.

Also, no meat on Wednesday and Fridays
    Are you kidding me your a faithful church goer and you have been giving me hell?

It isn't always a bad thing that you are giving up. For example, I gave up playing video games a few years ago. That's not bad for me, its a sacrifice I am willing to make.
    I was going to give up PSD but realized I would fail so. I have chosen to give up liquor I don't know if I'll make it.

I'm giving up meth

Lent seems like a rather ambiguous concept as it appears to be very open to interpretation.
    Copy that, apply it to the full faith and that's where I'm at.

Seeds of doubt lead you to the truth....

I'm giving up sex.

Oh, wait- I'm married, so does it still count if its something I'm already missing?

Heres my point.... you are giving up something.... for the sake of giving up something.... Jesus went to the desert to fast because it was required of him. I believe that he was always destined to go out there in order to fulfill his obligation to be perfect and that event was the christian symbolism of his perfection. He was sent out there.... by God.... to be tempted.... specifically... outside of the daily routine.... to show he truly was flawless. Us giving up something that isn't necessarily bad to emulate the actions of something that was necessary for Jesus to do doesn't make sense. Jesus was required to resist temptation of things that would hinder his claim to the savior of the world.... we are resisting temptation to........? random things we decide we can go without for 40 days? I suppose my biggest issue with this is that neither God nor Jesus ever commands one to partake in Lent.... Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is pleasing to God to do so? You know? Why would I sacrifice meat on Friday's when there is no conformation that it pleases God one way or the other? I mean Jesus was also crucified and rose again in 3 days? Why do we not emulate that? I know it seems like I am baiting but it is very hard for me to accept something when the logic seems a bit skewed. I guess the point I was trying to make by "giving up bad things" was that isn't one theoretically a better person for participating in Lent? And if not then what personal motivation is there to partake in it?
    I don't think it is a requirement by the church or the Bible, it is just a traditional gesture that people like to make towards the actions of Jesus, I think you are overthinking it

Also, no meat on Wednesday and Fridays
    Meat restrictions only apply to Ash Wednesday, not every Wednesday
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123