Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Denverpost- Nuggets close in on deal to send Melo to Knicks

It may finally be over!!!!!

The Nuggets appear to be closing in on a deal to trade star forward Carmelo Anthony to the New York Knicks.

The teams talked through the weekend and are working out the final details of what would be a blockbuster trade. NBA commissioner David Stern did not want a major trade announced on the day of the All-Star Game.

While final details were still being negotiated, the latest trade offer includes New York sending guard Raymond Felton, forwards Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari, centers Timofey Mozgov and Eddy Curry and a first-round draft pick to the Nuggets for Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams and Anthony Carter or Renaldo Balkman, according to NBA sources.

"I said I hoped to have a word by today, one way or another," Anthony said Sunday after the All-Star Game at the Staples Center. "I've been up early dealing with this and all the festivities, but the night is still young on this side (of the country)."

Nuggets officials are also talking about a megadeal with the New Jersey Nets, but that trade is less likely because Anthony hasn't indicated he would sign a contract extension to make it happen. Anthony will sign the extension to play for the Knicks.

"I haven't talked to anybody today from the Denver Nuggets organization," Anthony said after the game, "so as of right now, I'm still a Nugget."

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov appeared to be all but bowing out of the competition Sunday, telling CNBC that he met with Anthony over the weekend in part to get the rival Knicks to increase their offer to Denver.

"I think we made a very good tactical decision to force (the) Knicks to pay as much as they can," Prokhorov said.

Anthony met with Prokhorov, Nets minority owner Jay-Z and general manager Billy King late Saturday.

Asked at the Staples Center before the game if he had any news on a deal, Prokhorov said, "I don't care."

The NBA's trading deadline is Thursday at 1 p.m. Mountain time. But it's likely the Nuggets will trade Anthony in the next day or two, in part because it would give them more time to finish reshaping their roster by Thursday. They are looking to get younger, stock draft picks and have more overall roster flexibility.

Knicks management — MSG chairman James Dolan, team president Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D'Antoni — was busy putting out brush fires Sunday that the Knicks were giving up too much for Anthony, releasing a statement to cool off rampant speculation that there was disagreement in the ranks.

"We want to make it abundantly clear that we have been in constant communication throughout this process and the three of us are in complete agreement with everything that we are currently working on," the statement said. "Together, we will do what is best for the long-term success of the franchise."

The Nuggets play Memphis on Tuesday at the Pepsi Center. There is a slim chance Anthony will be present that night in a Nuggets uniform.

"Yeah, of course," Anthony said when asked about playing Tuesday against the Grizzlies. "As of right now."

Anthony had eight points and seven rebounds for the West all-stars. He maintained throughout All-Star Weekend that he didn't know where trade talks stood, but hoped to have a resolution by the time he left Los Angeles.

"I still enjoyed this weekend, regardless of what was going on and what has been said," Anthony
    Denver's Carmelo Anthony scored eight points Sunday in the All-Star Game.

He could soon be playing for the Knicks, with all-star center Amar'e Stoudemire his teammate.

"I'm not sure what the logistics are, but I think it's pretty much in Denver's hands," Stoudemire said Sunday. "So we are just waiting on them."

The Knicks' next game is Wednesday against Milwaukee, which is billed as "Legends Night" at Madison Square Garden.

Added Stoudemire: "We are playing well right now. We definitely can improve. I'm not the GM. We have to take it upon ourselves to get better. Until something happens, it's on us to really take that next step."

Anthony ranks third in Nuggets history in points scored (13,970) and is in the franchise's top 10 in games played (564), steals (634), 3-point field goals (410) and rebounds (3,566).

Billups would leave the Nuggets for the second time and be part of a New York team that could be in a position to not just make a playoff run but make noise. At 28-26, the Knicks are in sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

The Nuggets (32-25) begin the second half of the season in seventh place in the Western Conference. Four of their next five games are at home.

Source- http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17440130
    Last edited by xabial; 02-21-2011 at 04:15 AM.

I don't understand why DEN wants to expand this to include Felton and Billups.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

^Felton is younger so they probably want to fall back on him if they need a PG for the future

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Saves them $$, Felton is younger, cheaper, part of the rebuilding process.

Who knows? Maybe he can stick long-term after the trade he's only 26, and has two years remaining on his contract on a very fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    ^Felton is younger so they probably want to fall back on him if they need a PG for the future
    But they have Ty Lawson. And Billups expires a year earlier. Just makes no sense to me. Felton actually hurts them because he will help them win. DEN should try to rebuild of they deal Melo, not try to be a borderline playoff team.

This might finally be over... But that sucks, giving up Mozgov also? I was hoping we'd keep him.

But honestly, I just want this to end seriously

I guess they must have read the other thread. Knicks caved in and added mosgov. f*c* 4 draft picks. Thats 4 starters and 1 draft pick. It should be over soon lol.

felton is younger and cheaper.billups holds no interest to keep if they trade melo way as they wont be winning

also call it false..it will never be over,i'm lucky...i'm not that lucky
    Last edited by abe_froman; 02-21-2011 at 04:25 AM.

I guess the Knicks probably did cave in. They said it was worth it in the end and probably decided to give in.

The Knicks are making a big mistake here IMO. I would offer Randolph, Gallo, Curry, 1st rounder, and Chandler for Melo - THAT'S IT. No Billups or Felton. No Fields or Mozgov.

**** i wanted to keep mosgov. Thats four ******* starters and 1 draft pick.

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    But they have Ty Lawson. And Billups expires a year earlier. Just makes no sense to me. Felton actually hurts them because he will help them win. DEN should try to rebuild of they deal Melo, not try to be a borderline playoff team.
    Felton's 3rd year isn't guaranteed

Anyway, I'm honestly not happy about this deal. It's just too much to give up for Melo. I'd rather keep Felton (who I like much more than Billups), Gallo, Mozgov, and the 1st and take my chances this offseason, if I don't get Melo this offseason I keep Chandler, or go after Jordan or Gasol. I'm willing to pay one piece too many (and to me, that's what Felton for Billups is, one piece too many), but not two.

I agree, I hope they flip Felton to another team. Ty needs the minutes.

this trade will improve the Knicks this season and for the future. they can build around Melo and Amar'e. plus, other stars will wanna join them. Deron Williams already said he wants to join them here. this team is gonna be elite very soon. maybe not a championship contender next year, but the yr after is very possible. they just need to add a few other solid role players and good defenders around these two.

chill out guys. dont get upset about Mozgov being added. Melo and Amar'e are the guys we need to lead us to an NBA title. these other guys wont do that.

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    this trade will improve the Knicks this season and for the future. they can build around Melo and Amar'e. plus, other stars will wanna join them. Deron Williams already said he wants to join them here. this team is gonna be elite very soon. maybe not a championship contender next year, but the yr after is very possible. they just need to add a few other solid role players and good defenders around these two.

chill out guys. dont get upset about Mozgov being added. Melo and Amar'e are the guys we need to lead us to an NBA title. these other guys wont do that.
    Amare and Nash won zero titles. Melo and AI won zero titles. Melo and Amare have won a combined zero titles. Just having those guys isn't enough without talent around them, and Fields + Billups isn't enough to keep this team going. This is a bad trade, the Knicks give up too much and aren't left with any future. And in three years or so when Amare's knees give out, they'll be left where they were at the beginning of this decade.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast