Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How did the players gain control of the league, and how will it effect the future?

Over the past few years it has become pretty clear that the players control the league, I mean things like the summer of 2010 debacle (particularly LeBron, but the other guys weren't helpful either), the Carmelo situation, and the Dwill-Sloan feud never would have happened over a decade ago. For example, I remember hearing once that early in the decade that whenever Kobe or Shaq would complain about anything Jerry West would call them into his office and curse them out, and tell them to get their ***** back on the court and keep their mouths shut. If a GM did that now they'd be out on their *****. How did the players take over the league? And how will it effect the future, will the owners lock the players out in an attempt to gain control? Personally I actually sort of hope that there is a lockout, I want the owners to put the players back in their place, this is getting ridiculous. It's sort of ironic that I'm rooting for the billionaires to take more from the employees (albeit multimillionaires themselves), but I don't like where the league is going, players should be players, not GM's or coaches.

Hopefully the new CBA can fix some of these issues and eliminate some of these "diva" attitudes.

"GEORGE: This you are not going to believe. Al Netchie, that pimple! Tells Daphne, now get this 'Not to get involved with me.'"

affect, btw.

Free agency allows this...but all sports have it. It isn't a flaw in the NBA front offices and league offices, it's just how the NBA works.

In the NBA, you really just need a great player and you're half way there. If you get two, you're going to be a contender. If you get three, you instantly become a top 4 team. No other sport is like this...therefore, every other sport is "buddy-system" proof.

Stars have more power in the NBA than any other sport (maybe besides a QB). If a team's best player says "pick me or the coach", you probably are going to pick the player because it's easier to find a satisfactory coach than a franchise player. If a franchise player says "trade me", you really have to pay attention to that, because his value to the team is just so high.

You talk about Kobe and Shaq...but they're no different than today's stars. Kobe refused to play in Charlotte, and got his wish. He proved to be bigger than that. Shaq ran off from his small market quicker than LeBron, Melo, Bosh etc. You can't cuss out today's star, they're probably more powerful and important to that team than whoever is doing the cussing.

And now that it is such a markable sport, and these stars are bigger then just the sport...they're becoming bigger than the game and even more powerful.

It's always going to be like this. The star NBA player has more power than any other player in sports (again, besides maybe a QB). I can't think of a way to get the power back honestly. It's just the era we live in now.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

The players gained control by leveraging themselves. Ultimately their talent is what makes the league right? The problem is, certain GM's have allowed it. Whether it be taking a risk on a troubled player, or giving in to your star player's demand: once you cave once you have set the precedent. Then it spreads, once players see certain teams giving that treatment to their players, they expect the same. If they don't get it, they'll leave and go to the team where they can throw their weight around and get away with it. Then, in efforts to be competitive and gain an edge, other GM's and coaches also start to allow these types of things to happen. At some point, small concessions on the part of the GM's and coaches have turned into a bigger deal. What it's really going to take is each and every coach and GM vowing to follow some type of code. Strength in numbers, if everyone is on the same page the players will have one choice. Follow the rules or forfeit a paycheck because there is nowhere that the grass is greener.

Problem is, this probably won't happen. There's always going to be that GM or coach out there looking for a competitive edge so they will give in to a star player's demands to land the player or keep the player. All that does is keep the cycle going, because as long as 1 guy does it, many others will so that they aren't at a negotiating disadvantage with the talent they seek.
    Last edited by zB_#85; 02-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.

PSD Sim League | Phoenix Suns GM

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokemaker View Post
    Hopefully the new CBA can fix some of these issues and eliminate some of these "diva" attitudes.
    So that the Heat remain the only stacked team left in the league?... Yes that'll do wonders for the league.

Super Bowl LIII: Los Angeles Rams vs Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote Originally Posted by hotpotato1092 View Post
    Over the past few years it has become pretty clear that the players control the league, I mean things like the summer of 2010 debacle (particularly LeBron, but the other guys weren't helpful either), the Carmelo situation, and the Dwill-Sloan feud never would have happened over a decade ago. For example, I remember hearing once that early in the decade that whenever Kobe or Shaq would complain about anything Jerry West would call them into his office and curse them out, and tell them to get their ***** back on the court and keep their mouths shut. If a GM did that now they'd be out on their *****. How did the players take over the league? And how will it effect the future, will the owners lock the players out in an attempt to gain control? Personally I actually sort of hope that there is a lockout, I want the owners to put the players back in their place, this is getting ridiculous. It's sort of ironic that I'm rooting for the billionaires to take more from the employees (albeit multimillionaires themselves), but I don't like where the league is going, players should be players, not GM's or coaches.
    2010 was more of a perfect storm than "divas" taking over.

If the 2003 draft class was weaker, if there wasn't a CBA looming which led to the 2003 class signing shorting extensions and opting out, if Miami wasn't able to clear 45 mil in cap space, none of that would be an issue.

Players would never get their coaches fired over a decade ago?

The final decision still remains with the owners, so what exactly are you fighting for? They're the ones caving into the players.
    Dwight Howard is a Top 5 Center of All-Time, no one in this league can touch him.

The Orlando Magic are a dominant contender and are a better franchise than I ever thought possible.

Raph12 is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Free agency allows this...but all sports have it. It isn't a flaw in the NBA front offices and league offices, it's just how the NBA works.

In the NBA, you really just need a great player and you're half way there. If you get two, you're going to be a contender. If you get three, you instantly become a top 4 team. No other sport is like this...therefore, every other sport is "buddy-system" proof.
    Aman, ManRam.

I would say a franchise tag should be a must in the new CBA.

The players have control because they can demand trades and earn the same wage wherever they go. The only ways to change this are to:
    a) remove the ability for trades
    b) increase financial incentives for retaining your own player

In scenario A, clubs could improve only based on free agency. This will not happen- the media and publicity surrounding trade RUMOURS alone is worth too much to the league.

In scenario B, perhaps 1 club players should not have their salary counted towards the luxury tax? provides an incentive to stay and allows owners to try and retain their own talent (whilst at the same time not restricting players freedoms).
    Knight/Stuckey/Daye/Jerebko/Moose

The future looks Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by heatking View Post
    Well if that was implemented prior to the 2010 Free Agency period, your team would still suck ***... So thanks, but no thanks.

Super Bowl LIII: Los Angeles Rams vs Jacksonville Jaguars

It will effect the future everyone will end up teaming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raph12 View Post
    Well if that was implemented prior to the 2010 Free Agency period, your team would still suck ***... So thanks, but no thanks.
    He Mad.

The NBAPA would never allow a franchise tag option. There's restricted FA already; that's what let Orlando keep Gortat's rights for a total of 8 years. That's a long time. All you have to do to keep a FA after their first contract is up is match whatever anyone else offers. The players wouldn't ever let teams hold onto a player for another year with a franchise tag.

I really don't see a fix that both sides would ever agree to.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Quote Originally Posted by heatking View Post
    Isnt the nfl thinking about getting rid of the franchise tag? Some players have came out and say they feel like they are slaves to that team. Also you franchise a player and then he gets hurt causing other franchise players to take it easy intead of playing the game the right way. just my two cents.
    misery! lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast