Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Captain Jack: "I get techs because I want to"

Stephen Jackson is such a badass.

An exasperated coach Paul Silas said Sunday all he can do is take his top scorer out of the game when he starts mouthing off. And as Jackson keeps piling up the technical fouls, he's losing not only significant money, he's also approaching an automatic one-game suspension.

But for Jackson, it's about right and wrong, fairness and not losing his emotional edge.

Don't expect a calmer Captain Jack anytime soon.

"No, I get techs because I want to. I don't care," Jackson said Sunday. "I'm not getting techs for no reason. It happens."

When the NBA announced it was cracking down on player behavior this season, Jackson appeared to be one of the targets. Jackson played a starring role in a video distributed to teams showing demonstrative actions that would result in technical fouls.

Jackson also feels his past - he served a lengthy suspension for his role in the infamous Pacers-Pistons brawl in 2004 and has had other run-ins - is a significant factor in how he's treated.

"My reputation is the main reason why a lot of things don't go my way on the court," Jackson said. "I can't really pout about it and complain about it. I know I put myself in those situations. I went in the stands. I had those incidents off the court and I've got to be responsible for them. I just have to be professional and try to get through it."

It's not going very well.

The volatile Jackson has lost $172,000 this season thanks to 11 technicals, a one-game suspension without pay following an ejection and a separate $50,000 fine for verbally abusing a referee. A little over a month after sending a letter of apology to Bobcats season-ticket holders for his behavior, Jackson is quickly collecting technicals again.

The one he picked up in Saturday's loss to Dallas leaves him five short of 16, which results in a one-game ban. Only New York's Amare Stoudemire (14) and Orlando's Dwight Howard (13) have more.

"Obviously, I don't want to be suspended and miss a game, but I'm out there trying to win," Jackson said. "I'm going to go out there and be me. If me speaking my mind gets me a tech, hey."

Silas is the latest coach to try - and fail - to corral Jackson, who is averaging 18.9 points and is Charlotte's top scoring option. Jackson had 13 technicals last season while playing under Larry Brown.

"Normally, I just take him out and try to cool off and them put him back (in)," Silas said. "He's an important part of the team and without him we're not nearly as good. But when he gets into the referees, that's not good."

But it's not as simple as Jackson being a hothead. His game is fueled by his emotion and teammates are quick to rally to his side.

"Jack is real passionate about the game," center Nazr Mohammed said. "He's one of the elite players in this league and when he feels like he's not being treated like some of the elite players in this league, it frustrates him and he gets technicals sometimes.
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/06/b...s=iref:nbahpt2

He is an elite player? Really? Do you think he deserves start treatment like the Kobe, LeBron, Wade?

also, refs hate him.

How much kobe has?

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post

Stephen Jackson is such a badass.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/06/b...s=iref:nbahpt2

He is an elite player? Really? Do you think he deserves start treatment like the Kobe, LeBron, Wade?
    Honestly, as a guy who has watched Stephen Jackson throughout his career I have to somewhat agree with Nazr.

If he could maintain his focus all game and do it every night, Jackson would be the #3 SG in the NBA behind only Kobe & Wade. He is very talented as a player & he wants to put the team on his shoulders in crunch time like an elite player does. Unfortunately, he loses his focus easily when things aren't going his way and it makes him ineffective. His anger problems should've been addressed much earlier in his life/career as they have held him back on & off the court.

But for a guy watching him in practice it is not surpising to see him talk highly of Captain Jack.

NBA...Where " I get techs because I want to " happens...

hes not elite

Hey i'm with him, the refs need to know when they do something wrong and if it cost them a tech, then oh well

He's just not totally their mentally.

my favorite player.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What a beast.

Haha what an idiot.

What a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbrentg View Post
    What a winner.
    He has a ring. Guy is a warrior. If he can walk he'll play.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shady4u View Post
    DerekRE 3 just get the **** out. i mean no one takes you seriously and i bet im the only one with enough balls in my shorts to tell you to **** off. you're not a good poster. go **** yourself.

lol

~The Future of the Warriors~

well he just got ejected with two technicals
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Bryant
    "You don't want Rondo? Send him my way," Kobe declared. "I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That's what makes championship players.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast