Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does Orlando regret trading for Gilbert Arenas?

Does Orlando regret trading for Gilbert Arenas? In December Otis Smith made the moves for Hedo, J-Rich, and Arenas. J-Rich and Hedo have been very good additions for Orlando, playing very efficient and good basketball. Arenas, however, has struggled greatly. He is shooting just .364 from the field and .291 from beyond the arc, while committing 2.2 TO's in just under 22 minutes. Meanwhile Orlando's front court has Malik Allen as their back up PF. If Orlando had kept Lewis, they'd have that one extra big man and their front court would be in much better shape. Instead they have a back up PG who is owed $62 million these next three years, not to mention, the money they wasted on their mid level exception from this summer: Chris Duhon, who is seeing just 7.24 MPG in January and has only played in 7 of the Magic's last 18 games. Duhon is a very good back up PG who could put up the same if not better numbers than 8.7PPG 4.0 APG.364 FG% .291 3P% in 22min. The Magic have financially handcuffed themselves for the next three years with this trade and with Dwight's free agency quickly approaching, it could have a huge impact. Had they kept Rashard Lewis for one more year, they would have a 20 million dollar expiring for next year and could have landed a huge piece or draft picks that would make staying in Orlando more appealing for Dwight. This isn't even factoring in the effect his longer contract could have with the new CBA. I haven't watched a lot of the Magic so I can't say I have seen Arenas' impact but I just wanted to know what Magic and other NBA fans think of the move. Will Otis Smith regret this?

Use

blanklines.

too early to tell because if he picks it up when it matters(playoffs)..then no one will be looking at his regular season stats

Agree

He's an all star, when it matters he'll perform

If his contract wasn't worse than Shard's, there wouldn't be a question about this. But it is worse.

The matter of the fact is that Shard was a waste of space on this team. He wasn't attacking, he wasn't rebounding, he wasn't getting to the line...he just camped behind the arc. Him leaving has allowed Anderson and Bass to get bigger minutes, which is addition by subtraction.

I've never liked Gil, and he's certainly not changing my mind. I hope he gets it going, but I do have some serious doubts.

I don't know why you guys assume he'll be fine in the playoffs. He's never really been a good playoff performer at all...and has only made it passed round 1 once.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Give it more time

It's to early to tell. I think he's an upgrade over Nelson at the PG position. He's just not getting many min right now. Stan Van Gundy rarely gives new players the benefit of the doubt, he makes them work extra hard to earn that starting position, esp over a guy who's been in Orlando so many years.

Losing Lewis gave Anderson and Bass more PT. Anderson is actually similiar Lewis, accept Anderson gets offensive rebounds and is more aggressive. I'm still happy with that trade.

Hold your horses. He's a good player and it will eventually pay off.

He isn't getting PT!

Jameer Nelson is not better than this dude, and they are both score-first mentality, so idk why Gilbert's mins are like 20 a game!

it was a pretty terrible trade from the financial standpoint.. but if gilbert turns it on in the playoffs all will be forgiven.. but when its all said and done, i think theyll end up regreting it

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    If his contract wasn't worse than Shard's, there wouldn't be a question about this. But it is worse.

The matter of the fact is that Shard was a waste of space on this team. He wasn't attacking, he wasn't rebounding, he wasn't getting to the line...he just camped behind the arc. Him leaving has allowed Anderson and Bass to get bigger minutes, which is addition by subtraction.

I've never liked Gil, and he's certainly not changing my mind. I hope he gets it going, but I do have some serious doubts.

I don't know why you guys assume he'll be fine in the playoffs. He's never really been a good playoff performer at all...and has only made it passed round 1 once.
    How has he not performed? He sank the winning shot against one of the best perimeter defending pgs of this decade.

During 2005-2006, he had 34 ppg 5.3 apg and 5.5 RPG while also contributing 2.2 steals in playoffs on 46.4% shooting and 43.5% from the three.

So "Never" is just too harsh of a word to describe his playoff performances.

Arenas is not better than jameer

Nelsion has 0 defense, while Arenas has a little bit.

I say no. Gilbert Arenas might be a mistakenly huge contract, but he has a bigger impact than the other mistakenly huge contract: Rashard Lewis. I don't see enough people on this thread talking about how the trade freed up the power forward position for larger, better-rebounding and post players than Lewis.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 02-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Too early to tell right now. I think they will regret it in the end though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast