• Milwaukee Bucks

3 5.17%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

8 13.79%
  • Other

4 6.90%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Team/City Candidates for Contraction?

I don't want this to turn into a LeBron said this or that thread. I saw a couple of guys debating this on a local TV show. They mentioned some teams that would possibly be no longer but also added that the possibility of taking away teams is so unlikely because you hardly ever see pro sports leagues take away teams, # of teams in playoffs, etc. If anything they add teams.

But I will say that if there were say 4-6 fewer teams the league would be a while lot more competitive.

Thoughts?
    [CENTER]
    AARON RODGERS

*Super Bowl XLV Champion
    *Super Bowl XLV MVP
    *2011 NFL MVP

This thread again?

Not that I believe in the whole big market small market thing because thats a bunch of BS, but if the league did in fact contract 4 teams I believe

New Orleans
    Memphis
    Charlotte
    Cleveland

would be the 4 choices. 2 teams from 2 conferences.

Here's what you do.

You don't contract. You put in a hard cap and non guaranteed contracts like football. This forces stars to go to lesser markets if they want money because things like what the Heat did and what the Knicks are trying to do won't fly.

This leads to teams being more balanced and fans wanting to show up because the 76ers and Kings and Clippers will eventually become elite again (or for the first time).

a lot of players will be out of work also
    If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Peace
    Love
    Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Sixerlover View Post
    Not that I believe in the whole big market small market thing, but if the league did in fact contract 4 teams I believe

New Orleans
    Memphis
    Charlotte
    Cleveland

would be the 4 choices. 2 teams from 2 conferences.
    Charlotte just got a new arena, and the Bobcats have a contract with that arena through 2035. Move the team=legal hell.

Quote Originally Posted by black1605 View Post
    Charlotte just got a new arena, and the Bobcats have a contract with that arena through 2035. Move the team=legal hell.
    doesn't mean that the NBA couldn't decide otherwise
    [CENTER]
    AARON RODGERS

*Super Bowl XLV Champion
    *Super Bowl XLV MVP
    *2011 NFL MVP

Quote Originally Posted by hgtiger32 View Post
    doesn't mean that the NBA couldn't decide otherwise
    The NBA can void a contract with people who built a quarter billion dollar building that would serve no purpose without an NBA team?

Good luck with that.

The thing is people don't realize nobody cares about parity.

Only fans of teams in small markets care about parity. The NBA cares about money, and having a Finals with New York vs. LA is what puts money in the league's pocket. Having a Finals with Spurs vs. Cavs results in the lowest Finals ratings of all time even though you easily had the best PF & SF in the league playing in the series. Nobody likes seeing a 1 man show leading his team to the Finals. Better teams with multiple talents in big markets is good for the economy and makes for better basketball.

My main reason I think parity is not needed, and in fact probably detrimental to the league is this..... Nobody is going to fly out of state and pay $10,000 to sit front row in Minnesota. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that. Minny is not exactly a tourist draw no matter how good their team gets. People will however make an entire event out of it and go to LA with the whole family on vacation, or Chi, or NY, or SF, or MIA because those are tourist draw cities people want to go to and would in fact pay high prices to go to those games. Having a team in Memphis that constantly is borrowing from the league even when they are good and winning, is not helping make the NBA better.

But anyway this discussion is moot... NBA isn't buying out all those contracts and paying up the lease on arenas. Owners themselves will just have to start smartening up and picking good locations.

Only team that should be thought about moving them is Memphis, seems like the the area where nobody would want to go. Not a big market, in a boring city like Memphis. Even if Memphis was number 1 seed I cant see any stars wanting to go to Memphis. I say NBA moves Grizzles to Vegas, Seattle, San Diego ex.
    Peace
    Love
    Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post

Only fans of teams in small markets care about parity.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post

Only fans of teams in small markets care about parity. The NBA cares about money, and having a Finals with New York vs. LA is what puts money in the league's pocket. Having a Finals with Spurs vs. Cavs results in the lowest Finals ratings of all time even though you easily had the best PF & SF in the league playing in the series. Nobody likes seeing a 1 man show leading his team to the Finals. Better teams with multiple talents in big markets is good for the economy and makes for better basketball.

My main reason I think parity is not needed, and in fact probably detrimental to the league is this..... Nobody is going to fly out of state and pay $10,000 to sit front row in Minnesota. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that. Minny is not exactly a tourist draw no matter how good their team gets. People will however make an entire event out of it and go to LA with the whole family on vacation, or Chi, or NY, or SF, or MIA because those are tourist draw cities people want to go to and would in fact pay high prices to go to those games. Having a team in Memphis that constantly is borrowing from the league even when they are good and winning, is not helping make the NBA better.

But anyway this discussion is moot... NBA isn't buying out all those contracts and paying up the lease on arenas. Owners themselves will just have to start smartening up and picking good locations.

I dont think the cities in which Spurs and Cavaliers played had anything to do with it, it was just a boring series. Nobody great besides James on the Cavs and Spurs were a boring team to watch. There was no history. Lakers and Celtics had a huge rivalry and many big time players like Kobe, Gasol, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Rondo playing on the same floor.
    Peace
    Love
    Happiness

there wont be a contraction..so i guess none

The Pacers are the only team who have been in the bottom 5 in attendance for 5 straight years.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    It's true. Parity doesn't exist in NBA basketball. Never has. The game is too specialized and small for 15 teams to have a shot at the title year after year

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast