Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theyhateme459 View Post
    It's good because the team can get something for him now, where as in a few months they get nothing because he is a FREE agent.
    I get that, bt even now, Melo's holding out, and his silence about whether he'll extend or not isn't helping Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    I get that, bt even now, Melo's holding out, and his silence about whether he'll extend or not isn't helping Denver.
    IMO Mello has leverage. That's what teams hate, when the players have the leverage. They want to be able to sign, trade, deal do whatever they want with them. But when the players have the control it's an issue. Mello has said he want to go to the knicks. If he waits until the off season he will go to NY for free. So if Denver wants to get something in return they should work with him in sending him where he wants to go.

Will they get an all-star deal? No, becuase this is not Mello with 4 years left on his contract, it's more like 4 months. My opinion is get what you can now, from a team he is willing to go too, NYN.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Melo never requested a trade, he simply told the Nuggs ahead of time that he would not be resigning with them at the end of the season. What he is doing is a helluva lot more respectful than what Lebron did.
    No its worse. Lebron has the right to not resign. Melo is causing problems, if hes not resigning theres no need for the world to know; it should be between him and the team.

My only problem comes when there are double standards involved. Carmelo, in my opinion, should have just told the team privately that he wasn't going to re-sign, and leave it at that. I have a bigger problem because of the LeBron factor. ANYONE who is upset with LeBron for leaving Cleveland (not HOW he left, but just for leaving), and doesn't have a problem with what Melo is doing, is a big hypocrite. LeBron at least honored his contract. Sure, he didn't tell Cleveland he was planning on leaving 7 months before he did...but that's because if you ask anyone around him, he just legitimately didn't know.

Melo has caused friction and small levels of animosity on that team. It's been a bit of a problem.

Again, LeBron honored his contract, deflected the questions, focused on the team and winning for the duration of his contract...until he became a free agent and rightfully was able to leave. He honored his contract. That's what you are supposed to do. Melo is NOT honoring his contract here, to an extent...and is trying to get the upper hand in all of this. If you tell the team you are not coming back next year, let them trade you wherever they want and deal with it for the rest of the year. He's become bigger than the team in all of this.

Again, I have more of a problem with the double standards than anything else. I don't mind what Melo is doing, I mind the fact that, again...the people saying he's fine and LeBron were wrong would totally flip their opinions if the roles were reversed. But hey, that's the nature of fandom...

And people acting like Melo is completetly innocent...it isn't helping when there are all these reports from him saying where he'd love to play, him commenting on the trades he's involved in etc. Just be silent.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    My only problem comes when there are double standards involved. Carmelo, in my opinion, should have just told the team privately that he wasn't going to re-sign, and leave it at that. I have a bigger problem because of the LeBron factor. ANYONE who is upset with LeBron for leaving Cleveland (not HOW he left, but just for leaving), and doesn't have a problem with what Melo is doing, is a big hypocrite. LeBron at least honored his contract. Sure, he didn't tell Cleveland he was planning on leaving 7 months before he did...but that's because if you ask anyone around him, he just legitimately didn't know.

Melo has caused friction and small levels of animosity on that team. It's been a bit of a problem.

Again, LeBron honored his contract, deflected the questions, focused on the team and winning for the duration of his contract...until he became a free agent and rightfully was able to leave. He honored his contract. That's what you are supposed to do. Melo is NOT honoring his contract here, to an extent...and is trying to get the upper hand in all of this. If you tell the team you are not coming back next year, let them trade you wherever they want and deal with it for the rest of the year. He's become bigger than the team in all of this.

Again, I have more of a problem with the double standards than anything else. I don't mind what Melo is doing, I mind the fact that, again...the people saying he's fine and LeBron were wrong would totally flip their opinions if the roles were reversed. But hey, that's the nature of fandom...

And people acting like Melo is completetly innocent...it isn't helping when there are all these reports from him saying where he'd love to play, him commenting on the trades he's involved in etc. Just be silent.
    Couldn't have said it better myself ManRam.

[QUOTE=DitchDat;16318593]It happens time and time again, and with the recent Melo Drama, I want to open up a discussion about this.

Are players arrogant and disrespectful when they force trades? No. It is their career. If you didn't like your job wouldn't you find a new one? In the same or very similar field? Or if you wanted to move from the West to east coast, is that disrespectful?
    What are some prime examples?
    Should professional athletes be more loyal or do some soul searching? Soul searching for what? Maybe their soul searching is the thing that leads them to realize they are unhappy where they are and want to be somewhere else. Loyalty should be two sided. If an owner wants to trade a young player, he can. As the players grows and gets another contract, the player can start calling his shots as well. Melo has 6 months left on his contract, he has been loyal to Denver and honored his contract. Denver wanted him to sign an extension and he said no. Is that disloyal? No. He wants to play elsewhere.
    Another point made was if all contracts were guaranteed this would be a bit different but they are not. Owners want to make money off the players and the owners' loyalties extends as far as the players potential value. They will look for ways to void the contract or get rid of the player (save for a few Mark Cuban I believe would take care of his players. Which is why no one tries to get traded from Dallas)
    Even lebron was entitled to play elsewhere. He wasn't disloyal because of that, he is just a giant douche for the way he did it. That is why he is disloyal. He straight out lied to his team.
    Unfortunately, pro sports are becoming more and more commercially driven and the players are really just advertisements on a certain level. They represent what the owners and their interests are selling. This is causing the never ending marketing and product developments like ( I have no negative opinion of this just an example) Amare Cologne. This has become way more than playing BBall. Everybody is looking to get theirs and that's fair, because they are being used for the same reason. And we watch and pay 100 bucks a seat to pay for all of it. And soon when we watch it on tv there will be more commercials than game. It is a business and these guys need to have the command over their product and have the right to place it in whatever market they choose as long as they honor the present arrangement there is nothing wrong with asking or demanding a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Theyhateme459 View Post
    It's good because the team can get something for him now, where as in a few months they get nothing because he is a FREE agent.
    THIS.

MELO DOESNT WANT TO RESIGN WITH THE NUGGETS. SO INSTEAD OF HIM JUST LEAVING AS A FREE AGENT WITH THE NUGGETS NOT GETTING ANYTHING IN RETURN HE DECIDED TO TELL THE NUGGETs MANAGEMENT IN ADVANCE SO THAT THE TEAM CAN ACTUALLY GET SOMETHING FOR HIM. HE IS ACTUALLY DOING THE DENVER FRANCHISE A FAVOR BECAUSE HE CAN ACTUALLY JUST SHUT UP AND LEAVE IN FREE AGENCY AND LEAVE THE NUGGETS WITH NOTHING BUT HE DOESNT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. HE ATLEAST WANT THE NUGGETS TO GET SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

How do you know that Melo isnt honoring the contract?

He seems to be honoring fine to me. It isnt like he has shut it down or anything.

You expect athletes to wait for their free agency period to go where they want to and do want they want. You forget that Carmelo has an option for an extension this is his TRUMP CARD and he has given the Denver front office one of the nicest things (if you ask me) you can given someone CHOICE!!!!!

Denver can turn down every offer from New York, New Jersey or whatnot. That's their choice. But at least Carmelo gave them that choice whereas Lebron (at least I dont believe) ever gave the Cavs a choice.

As for your Melo should shutup mantra. Is he slave labor? Should he toil on the field for the masta til the contract is done. I dont know about you. But I dont turn on the tube to watch the front office. I watch the athletes play. I dont give a damn about the contracts. The contacts dont put in 30 points a night. The contracts dont slam dunk. The contracts dont put in three points. So if Melo wants to use the power of the media so be it.

P.S. if you believe for a second that lebron didnt know where he was going then you probably also believe that the tweet wasnt from him and he doesnt know what contraction mean cuz I sure as hell dont believe him.
    Last edited by BigBlueCrew; 01-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

Are players arrogant and disrespectful when they force trades?
    Should professional athletes be more loyal or do some soul searching?

Business is business. To ownership and front offices its business and the sole responsibility is profitability and winning. As long as whatever they do focuses on those and does not violate rules or laws than its what they need to do.

Players are employees. Employees have the right to request transfers (or trades in this case), look for new employment, or a new career. I think using the press is irresponsible and I think your hurt your value by publicly handling what should be handled behind closed doors, but its there right. Also players cannot force a trade all they can do is request one. The ownership, GM, and front office could always just not trade them and either hope things get worked out or let them walk at the end of the contract. Disrespect only comes into the equation when a player is taking shots at fans, his team, or teammates.

Loyalty is reserved for the fans. I've been a Sixers fan for as long as I can remember and I've seen multiple owners, many coaches, and countless players come and go. A fan is the only one loyal because no one else will be around rooting and showing passion for decade after decade. A player need to loyal to themselves and their loved ones. Ownership, GM, and front office need to be loyal to the business side.

O yeah... Forgot about the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
    If it weren't for "The Decision", there was nothing that Lebron did wrong. He left as a free agent.

Melo hasn't done anything wrong.
    I may be alone on this one, but I never blamed Lebron for the Decision. I blamed ESPN. ESPN producers and management needed to think it was a good idea and approve it other wise it wouldn't have happened. I don't get why people always blame Lebron but never ESPN, because if ESPN says no then all this Lebron hate never happens.

Honestly after the whole offseason mess and now the Melo mess I have really changed my perspective on all the offseason acquisitions.

The Athletes owe nothing to their respective teams or fans. Its a business and its great when you can back a team and make that team your own but the athletes dont care and they shouldnt because its their job and their lives.

As a Fan I really dont respect players who leave their teams for greener pastures when the organization clearly wants to keep them, but thats a personal opinion.

I thought Bosh was a moron the whole offseason but its understandable why he left Toronto. The franchise was going nowhere.

Dwade was a moron this offseason as well but at least he woke up and resigned with the team that mirrored their whole image behind him.

Lebron is a pathetic excuse for a human being and I dont really agree at all with what he did but it is his life and he is the only one who can decide whats best for him. Globally alienating your hometown fans on a 1 hour special might be one of the worst though of ideas I have ever witnessed. Then using Boys and Girls Club of America as a fallback is even a bigger cheapshot to try and save face for your stupidity.

Melo is by far the most reasonable out of Bosh Lebron and him because he never said a word. Denver tried to force the issue of the extension and he said he wanted to weigh his options. Everything is being blown out of porportion because of what we witnessed in the offseason.
    If its anyones fault why Denver is in such a tight squeeze its Denver for making everything public in the Carmelo Anthony resigining process.

He isnt higher in light then Dwade because Dwade resigned with his team but at least hes giving his team a heads up instead of Lebron and Bosh. At least he isnt masquerading on twitter starting poles where he should go like Bosh or using the media as a frenzy with every little hint or suggestion hes leaving Cleveland like Lebron.

I think the offseason was exciting for all the winners and frustrating for the losers. The Athletes dont need to appease the fans and just their families so what they are doing isnt wrong I just wont ever agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    What Melo's doing isn't necessarily wrong, bt it isn't really that good either. It's a sticky situation, bt that's the business, unfortunately.
    Last time I checked Melo didn't do anything except for not sign a contract! As far as not come to work everyday are u really going to tell me that LBJ didn't give up on Cleveland in the playoffs? Come on now! To say Melo is not giving his all is a push because last time I checked Melo is putting up a career best in boards and is only down 1 point from his career ppg avg and that is after an 8 point game. I mean what else do u want the man to do last time I checked the Nuggets got stuck playing small ball due to injuries and Melo carried them through an injury plagued start! What makes it even worse is that all this Melodrama has started and the man never even said he wanted a trade he just said he wanted to leave his options open and rather then Denver being like hey were going to try and bring in CP3 or someone that gets us one step closer to a ring they panic and say we have to get rid of Melo before it's to late. So if u ask me Melo's situiation is more poorely handled more then him mistreating Denver like Lebron did the Cavs. If Denver was smart they would try and handle it like LA did and bring in more help. I mean they even have Kobe helping them out by giving his best friend advice and telling him "don't leave just to leave."

Quote Originally Posted by latinofire21 View Post
    Honestly after the whole offseason mess and now the Melo mess I have really changed my perspective on all the offseason acquisitions.

The Athletes owe nothing to their respective teams or fans. Its a business and its great when you can back a team and make that team your own but the athletes dont care and they shouldnt because its their job and their lives.

As a Fan I really dont respect players who leave their teams for greener pastures when the organization clearly wants to keep them, but thats a personal opinion.

I thought Bosh was a moron the whole offseason but its understandable why he left Toronto. The franchise was going nowhere.

Dwade was a moron this offseason as well but at least he woke up and resigned with the team that mirrored their whole image behind him.

Lebron is a pathetic excuse for a human being and I dont really agree at all with what he did but it is his life and he is the only one who can decide whats best for him. Globally alienating your hometown fans on a 1 hour special might be one of the worst though of ideas I have ever witnessed. Then using Boys and Girls Club of America as a fallback is even a bigger cheapshot to try and save face for your stupidity.

Melo is by far the most reasonable out of Bosh Lebron and him because he never said a word. Denver tried to force the issue of the extension and he said he wanted to weigh his options. Everything is being blown out of porportion because of what we witnessed in the offseason.
    If its anyones fault why Denver is in such a tight squeeze its Denver for making everything public in the Carmelo Anthony resigining process.

He isnt higher in light then Dwade because Dwade resigned with his team but at least hes giving his team a heads up instead of Lebron and Bosh. At least he isnt masquerading on twitter starting poles where he should go like Bosh or using the media as a frenzy with every little hint or suggestion hes leaving Cleveland like Lebron.

I think the offseason was exciting for all the winners and frustrating for the losers. The Athletes dont need to appease the fans and just their families so what they are doing isnt wrong I just wont ever agree with them.
    +1 people have to realize this is a buisness I think any player should be able to do as they please but they need to handle it in a respectful manner!

Quote Originally Posted by latinofire21 View Post

It's hard to believe your stance is based on sound reason and thought, and isn't based on hate when you use "moron", "moron" and "pathetic excuse for a human" about three people you've never met, walked a day in their shoes or really know at all.

Hate is such a juvenile and reason-clouding emotion. It's a shame PSD is overflowing with hate.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast