Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

How is offensive and defensive win shares found?

Like how are they found? What are the formulas for them and stuff? Just wondering.

Im pretty sure its in the glossary for BBR

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    It is: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

But they don't show how to calculate points produced. I believe the only place that shows how to calculate that is Dean Oliver's book.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

cool thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    cool thanks alot
    PM Den, hes been reading the book . Dont know where my copy is

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Yep.

A lot of people don't know what this means or what it is for, but here is an explanation.

A Win Share determines how much you are responsible for your team winning. It basically says who is the most important player on the team giving the production for your team to win.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

1. James made team Win Shares directly proportional to team wins. In his system, a baseball team that wins 80 games will have exactly 240 Win Shares, a baseball team that wins 90 games will have exactly 270 Win Shares, etc. In my system, a basketball team that wins 50 games will have about 50 Win Shares, give or take.

James did not allow for the possibility of negative Win Shares. In his system, the fewest number of Win Shares a player can have is zero. In my system, a player can have negative Win Shares. I justify this by thinking about it in the following way: a player with negative Win Shares was so poor that he essentially took away wins that his teammates had generated.

So if a team wins 60 games, it spreads across the team to determine how much each player is reponsible for the team winning and thus each player gets a win share.

So let's take for example the Bulls.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2009.html

If you look at them you will see that in the ADVANCED section on basketball-reference and all the way to the right you will see WS (which stands for Win Shares), it shows who the leader is on the team and the impact they have on the teams wins.

These are your yearly Win Share leaders

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ws_yearly.html
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

I find tiering players based on FGA and FTA helps give a better picture of go to guys rather than just simply efficient guys. For example, WS/48 for rookies who have played 30+ games and at least 15 mpg
    1. Blake Griffin
    2. Derrick Favors
    3. Landry Fields
    4. Gary Neal
    5. Greg Monroe
    6. Evan Turner
    7. Al-Farouq Aminu
    8. Wesley Johnson
    9. DeMarcus Cousins
    10. Eric Bledsoe
    But we can look at their "usage" without looking up their USG% through volume output. Derrick really isn't a guy who can take guys 1 on 1 at this point in his career so even though he has been more efficient than Greg Monroe or DeMarcus Cousins, we shouldn't make WS the end all in comparing guys (something a lot of people have been doing).

8. 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM

9. 01-26-2011, 06:25 AM

10. 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM