Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

db75 Guest

Soldier Field Turf Discussion Continues

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said Thursday the team discussed the possibility of switching to synthetic FieldTurf last year, and more research about a possible change will be conducted once the season ends.

"The bottom line," Angelo said, is that Soldier Field is "a safe surface, and that's what we're fixed on, making sure we play on a safe surface."

Linebacker Brian Urlacher called the footing in Soldier Field "horrible," saying the shaky field conditions negate the team's speed so much that they "haven't been able to do what we normally do." Quarterback Jay Cutler called Soldier Field "one of the worst fields in the league" on Dec. 8, adding that "we've got to deal with it, and our guys know it."

"I know [CEO] Ted [Phillips has] said he wants to get more comfortable in the research," Angelo said. "I'm not ruling it out, and we'll do our due diligence with the research. Everybody wants a fast surface. I don't think any NFL team wants to play with three inches of grass on the field. Every team is looking for that, and we're no different. So we'll go through that again, and see what the results are based on the research going forward."
    Full Story:
    ESPN

I'm torn, even on TV you can tell when they re-sod as the field is terrible. However, our players know what the field conditions are like and should be well prepared to deal with it. It is part of the homefield advantage at Soldier Field. If the Bears actually owned the stadium we wouldn't even be talking about this.

The Park district is all about the field turf it was the bears who didn't want it. As the article says Ted Phillips wants more information on it before he decides to go to that.

The problem with the Park District owning the stadium though is that they want to make more money off of it. If the Bears owned the stadium then there wouldn't be concerts, high school sports, or other events on the playing surface and it wouldn't be as torn up as it is and it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    The problem with the Park District owning the stadium though is that they want to make more money off of it. If the Bears owned the stadium then there wouldn't be concerts, high school sports, or other events on the playing surface and it wouldn't be as torn up as it is and it wouldn't be an issue.
    Thats where you're completely wrong. These days something that big is too expensive to just have it sit for that many months out of the year idle. You need to use it for other things to make money.
    MUST BE REAL BAD TO BRING ME BACK

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    I'm torn, even on TV you can tell when they re-sod as the field is terrible. However, our players know what the field conditions are like and should be well prepared to deal with it. It is part of the homefield advantage at Soldier Field. If the Bears actually owned the stadium we wouldn't even be talking about this.
    I actually disagree with it being an advantage. With what the Bears run, they need a fast track on defense. Any time that the speed is neutralized, it is not in their favor IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Thats where you're completely wrong. These days something that big is too expensive to just have it sit for that many months out of the year idle. You need to use it for other things to make money.
    I'm not saying let it sit idle. I think giving the Bears exclusive use of the field say from October until the end of the season would solve a lot of these issues.

db75 Guest
    ^It can even wait until November. IMO, the field's not really bad until the last week of October (if the game is late in the last week) or November.

That said, something needs to be done, and IMO, a fair compromise would be the synthetic-natural blend that's used in GB and Pittsburgh (IIRC).

Quit being cheap and put in new turf. That grassy-turf stuff that is pretty much taking over every level of Football.

Im old fashioned and love football outdoors, on grass...but if its this big a deal, just make the switch already.

db75 Guest
    ^Actually, Field Turf isn't all that expensive considering the maintenance needed on grass...so I dunno if it's really much of a money issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debo0775 View Post
    ^Actually, Field Turf isn't all that expensive considering the maintenance needed on grass...so I dunno if it's really much of a money issue at all.
    I have no clue, I just couldn't think of why else they wouldn't do this other than the whole parks department stuff.

Maybe the cost of installing it? I don't know..I think that the players should decide though, they are obviously the ones affected from this decision.

db75 Guest
    ^But so are players not yet accounted for.

That's why I wouldn't include the players. It's annoying for them, sure, but they aren't the only invested party (or in this case, even the majority...yes, they use it, but so do a ton of other individuals).

Quote Originally Posted by debo0775 View Post
    Yeah, I heard that you can pee on it and it washes out pretty well...