Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Case For Playing the Colts

Look, I'm currently watching the Colts vs. Titans game anxiously awaiting the outcome to see who we fill face in the playoffs next week--as I'm sure many other Jets fans are as well. But unlike most other fans, I'm rooting for the Colts. I want to play Indy because I think it is the kind of game that our team needs in order to get stronger when we meet NE next round.

If the Colts lose, we go into KC and hopefully take them down. I think there is a very realistic chance we could beat KC. Revis would shutdown Bowe and we would grind it out. But in beating them, we would have gameplanned to stop KC's ground game. What we really need to do is to build off of this week against BUF and get back to the Jets D that shuts down elite QBs, not the rushing attack (we're pretty damn good at that already).

In reality, I think the game planning for Peyton will ultimately better prepare us for a matchup with NE and Tom Brady . Ideally, the Jets would beat the Colts and then have the confidence to say "Hey, we just beat the defending AFC champs who took us down last year. We can redeem ourselves in NE.". Let's face it, we need to be playing flawless football going up to NE if we want to win that game.

Basically, I think that beating the Colts could be a spark for a much deeper playoff run. The team was smiling today, we got some rest, and we're building off something good. We're back to being the NY Jets at our best this season and I'm proud to have stuck with the team all season.

Cheers to a good year. ...and good things to come.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
    Last edited by the keefster; 01-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.

My thoughts... Peyton the Brady... Yikes!

But I agree that beating the Colts will be much sweeter then beating KC.

im also watching the Colts/Titans game hoping for the Colts to pull this win out. im sure Rex Ryan and the entire coaching staff is scouting this game to figure out how to shut down Peyton Manning and the ground game. im sure theyre also keeping an eye on the score board

Props To CheapTrikz For The Sig

You have a very good point. It would be better to have to focus on defending against a top quarterback in this league on a pass heavy offense for the future rather than just beating the Chiefs who are run first.

That said, the Colts will be a much tougher team to beat in said situation. Chiefs would be easier to halt and there is no way we should be looking to the next round either way. But I don't think we should be scared of anything. As Rex said, "If we play our best football, we can beat any team playing there best football"

Its looking like it will be Indy anyways. The Colts don't spread the ball the same way the Pats do so it's still a comparison that has holes. Preparing for the Colts will be very different than preparing for the Pats.... But as you said, it wouldn't be as different as it would be if we were playing the Chiefs round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    You have a very good point. It would be better to have to focus on defending against a top quarterback in this league on a pass heavy offense for the future rather than just beating the Chiefs who are run first.

That said, the Colts will be a much tougher team to beat in said situation. Chiefs would be easier to halt and there is no way we should be looking to the next round either way. But I don't think we should be scared of anything. As Rex said, "If we play our best football, we can beat any team playing there best football"

Its looking like it will be Indy anyways. The Colts don't spread the ball the same way the Pats do so it's still a comparison that has holes. Preparing for the Colts will be very different than preparing for the Pats.... But as you said, it wouldn't be as different as it would be if we were playing the Chiefs round 1.
    Of course, I'm not looking two rounds ahead, but if we think the Chiefs will be an easier team to halt, we're inherently looking forward. The road to Super Bowl goes through NE for us. We know that much. I've got my eyes on the Super Bowl so my plotting goes through NE for sure.

if we want to play in the Super Bowl we have to beat the best teams in the playoffs and the track to the playoffs begins with the Colts then the Patriots then the Steelers/Ravens IMO

On the flip side... what if we get a chance to play the Colts in the AFC 'Ship again? I'd rather knock them out there, then in the first round.

What a good game between colts and titans

Personally, knocking out a team like the Ravens in the AFC championship would be so so sweet. That would mean we conquered Peyton at home in the first round, the Mighty Pats at home....and oh, last but not least, Rex's Old Ravens team in their house--the team who took us down the first game of the season. Coming full circle as the Hard Knocks, overflowing swag Jets and walking into the Super Bowl....I can't think of anything much sweeter.

A man can dream...

id rather knock out the Colts in the 1st round than in the AFCCG. i wanna get some sweet revenge on the Ravens in that game (AFCCG)

The bottom line is, if the Jets can't beat Indy, how in the hell are they going to beat NE? A loss to Indy in the first round would just show that we were no match for NE anyway, so I say bring it on.

I wanted KC before I saw the outcome of the Oakland game. KC got embarrassed home and will be out for blood. The last 2 times they were embarrassed they came back with a strong showing and a victory the next week.

Week 6: KC loses 35 to 31 versus the Texans (KC blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead, allowing the Texans to outscore them 21 to 7 in the fourth)
    Week 7: KC wins 42 to 20 versus the Jaguars

Week 10: KC lost 49 to 29 versus the Broncos
    Week 11: KC wins 31 to 13 versus the Cardinals

Week 14: KC loses 31 to 0 versus the chargers
    week 15: KC wins 27 to 13 versus the Rams

KC has great coaching and is a good bounce back team. The Ravens are going to have their hands full next week.

Also, if you breakdown the Colts-Jets matchup:

1. Cromartie is way better than Sheppard
    2. Collie is out
    3. Gonzalez is out
    4. Tamme is good, but he is no Dallas Clark
    5. Look at numbers 1 through 4, and now factor in that Revis won't let Wayne touch the ball
    6. LT has not slowed down and got a rest this week, unlike Thomas Jones of last year (Thomas averaged 3.7 ypc after starting the first half of the season with his average over 4, LT averaged 4.2)
    7. If Shonn Greene gets hurt at the beginning of the 2nd quarter again (this was the main reason we lost last year IMO), Joe McKnight showed you something against the Bills
    8. The Colts offensive line is not as good as last year
    9. Who can cover Holmes?
    10. Sanchez can play in a shoot-out if he has to, unlike last year where the Colts were able to kind of run away with it in the second half

The only thing that beats you is Peyton (most likely in a shoot-out), but that can happen to anyone. However I feel we have a lot of match-ups in our favor and I do not want to play an angry KC team.

Besides if you are the Jets, this is what you want. No one is going to give us a chance against these "elite" teams. So let's go out and hit them in the mouth like last year.

Beating Indy is a much simpler task than beating NE IMO

No. You ALWAYS want the easier win. And that is the one without Peyton Manning.

lol so you guys going to be mad if we end up playing the chiefs?
    Last edited by mets77; 01-02-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast