Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

How long until Rex gets on the hot-seat?

He's lost us numerous games on dumb coaching calls. His pride D can't even get a decent pass rush. He sends an all out blitz and yet the RB runs right up the middle.

I lost a little faith in Rexy....I have to admit.

hot seat?

he's brought us to the playoffs for two years in a row.

What JF89 said.

He's 21-13 in 2 seasons, with 2 playoff berths, and 2 playoff wins under his belt.

wow another can Rex thread eh!... whatever!
    Mark Trumbo HR Counter-30

It doesn't matter, the team has talent. Rex doesn't make high % coaching decisions. He was 100% the reason the team lost today by calling that ******** 4th down call. GB he wasted the challenges so early that we couldn't challenge the interceptions. He challenges the spot of a ball for fourth and one....when he planned on going for it. This is supposed to be his D, and it's a ****ing joke. 38 points vs ****ign JAY CUTLER? 50+ vs a division rival....how are we gonna expect to win the superbowl, let alone a playoff game with those stupid calls. I love Rex, but if your gonna talk ****, back it the **** up.

People want results jf28. And it will be that that will determine how long Rex Ryan is the head coach of the NY Jets. Let me give you 4 perfect examples to illustrate this:

1) New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick-- When Belichick was head coach of the Browns, his career record there was 36-44 (.450 win percentage) with 1 playoff appearance in 5 seasons. People wondered if he was really head coaching material; many wondered if he had that "Great coordinator but horrible Head Coach" title that a few have been given over the years.

So now why is Bill Belichick named as one of the top 5 head coaches of all-time? Discounting this year, 7 AFC East Championships, 4 Super Bowl appearances (including 3 victories), 9 (including this year) 10+ win seasons, and a .713 winning percentage. Believe me, that will change opinions real fast!

2) Marty Schottenheimer-- 4 playoff appearances in 5 seasons in Cleveland, 7playoff appearances in 10 seasons in Kansas City, 2 playoff appearances in 5 seasons in San Diego; 11 seasons with 10+ wins; 8 division crowns as a head coach. So why do people look down so much on Marty?

Simply because when Marty Schottenheimer-led teams got to the playoffs, they had a funny way of getting knocked out by teams that were in many cases, inferior to the teams that he had.

3) Peyton Manning-- Has been a member of the Colts since 1998 with 10 playoff seasons since his arrival. The Colts were a constant 10+ win team year in and year out, including many years of 12,13, and 14 wins. So why did it take so long for people to put Manning in the upper tier of QB's?

Because like Marty Schottenheimer, it seemed like year after year, he was getting bounced from the playoffs against teams with lesser records. 2005, 14-2, bounced at home in the divisional playoffs; 2007 13-3, bounced at home in the divisional playoffs; 1999 13-3, bounced in divisional playoffs.

4) Herm Edwards/Eric Mangini-- Remember them? Edwards, 3 playoff appearances (including AFC East crown) in 5 seasons with the NY Jets and the two years, they did miss were years when we were destroyed by injuries. Eric Mangini-- 9-7 or better record in 2 out of 3 seasons in New York with the Jets. His only bad year was like Edwards, when the Jets were devistated by injuries. So why didn't either of these guys last in New York?

Because the owner isn't paying head coaches millions of dollars to go 9-7 or 10-6 and being knocked out after one playoff game.

You can have all the double-digit win seasons you want. If they don't translate to division championships and Super Bowl berths and possible wins, you aren't going to be around long. Say what you will, in most cases, 9-7 or 10-6 gets you a 5th or 6th seed in the AFC and if you are lucky, one playoff victory. But most of the time, it is a #5 or #6 seed and an early exit. Owners aren't standing for that for too long. If Rex keeps going deep in the playoffs, Woody Johnson won't care about all of his antics and neither will Jets fans.

But let him start having a couple 7-9 or 8-8 seasons and missing the playoffs and his seat will get a lot warmer, from both the owner and the fans!
    Eichel Tower

Rex is fine. We need an experienced OC that can help Rex out. Kinda like a Westoff but with more responsibility.

Rex will attract free agents, give us attention (which makes the owner happy), and is a badass dude who we all love.

I agree, his in game decision is horrible. His game planning has been off this year (last year it was really good). And he should know when to tone his talk too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greetard View Post
    It doesn't matter, the team has talent. Rex doesn't make high % coaching decisions. He was 100% the reason the team lost today by calling that ******** 4th down call.
    The team fully backs Rex, they love playing for him. And if you're gonna blame anyone, blame Brad Smith for dropping the ball. He catches it, we move the chains and we're not talking about it anymore. I'm not saying the call was great, but the execution didn't exactly help.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    People want results jf28. And it will be that that will determine how long Rex Ryan is the head coach of the NY Jets. Let me give you 4 perfect examples to illustrate this

But let him start having a couple 7-9 or 8-8 seasons and missing the playoffs and his seat will get a lot warmer, from both the owner and the fans!
    It's his second season and some fans aren't giving him any time to get results. Last year he was less then 30 min from the Superbowl, and the playoffs haven't even started this year!

Don't be so quick to jump the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktownanalyst View Post
    The team fully backs Rex, they love playing for him. And if you're gonna blame anyone, blame Brad Smith for dropping the ball. He catches it, we move the chains and we're not talking about it anymore. I'm not saying the call was great, but the execution didn't exactly help.

It's his second season and some fans aren't giving him any time to get results. Last year he was less then 30 min from the Superbowl, and the playoffs haven't even started this year!

Don't be so quick to jump the gun
    I'm not saying he should be fired either, but let's face facts, I had more confidence in the team last season than I do this year's team. There is very little on this team right now where you can sit there and say, "this is a Super Bowl calibar team." There is no pass rush to speak of, LT has looked old lately, the secondary is getting destroyed, the defense is giving up huge gobs of yards on the ground, etc, etc, etc. When you looked at this team before the season started, would you have said 10-6 or 11-5 and a probable #6 seed in the AFC? This team is light years behind the New England Patriots in the AFC East.
    Eichel Tower

i don't understand some of you guys. its his second year as a head coach in the nfl coaching a second year QB who was inexperienced coming out of the draft. what did you guys honestly expect? when was the last time we were in a position where we clinched a playoff spot early? we play in a tough conference, a tough division, and had a tough schedule. but we have double digit wins.

All I'm gonna say is the playoffs start a whole new season. I wasn't exactly carrying a buttload of confidence into the playoffs last year... and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I'm not saying he should be fired either, but let's face facts, I had more confidence in the team last season than I do this year's team. There is very little on this team right now where you can sit there and say, "this is a Super Bowl calibar team." There is no pass rush to speak of, LT has looked old lately, the secondary is getting destroyed, the defense is giving up huge gobs of yards on the ground, etc, etc, etc. When you looked at this team before the season started, would you have said 10-6 or 11-5 and a probable #6 seed in the AFC? This team is light years behind the New England Patriots in the AFC East.
    Doesn't that speak more to the job Rex is doing for this team to have 10 wins without all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    Doesn't that speak more to the job Rex is doing for this team to have 10 wins without all of that?
    Or does it speak more to Schotty and the offense? I have more concerns on defense than I do on offense; I don't think anyone in here would have thought that this late in the year. Get mad at me all you want, and if they prove me wrong I will be man enough to admit it, but the Jets right now look like a one and done team this year.
    Eichel Tower

I don't think he should be on the hot seat but I'm really surprised how many defenders he has. Might be the first time the fans don't want to blame the coach but he really does deserve a lot of blame. His calls to go for it on 4th down, all season have just been puzzling. Bottom 3rd of the league in passing, 6th in rushing ypg but they were 1st last year. Only 1 good road win all season(Pittsburgh). Absolutely unable to stop teams in some games.

He shouldn't be fired, and he shouldn't be on the hot seat until the end of the playoffs but I'm surprised more people aren't upset.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktownanalyst View Post
    All I'm gonna say is the playoffs start a whole new season. I wasn't exactly carrying a buttload of confidence into the playoffs last year... and look how that turned out.
    But the one thing you could say about last year's team is that you knew you had the defense to keep you in the games. This year, you can't say that and with what we will see in terms of QB's, that doesn't bode well.

And if you look at it Carson, Rex has more talent than he ever did last year. You added a legit #2 CB in Cromartie, Jason Taylor at LB, Holmes to the offense, LT to the run game, and the entire defense has regressed. Like Don Banks said in his column today, it is time to stop calling the Jets an elite defense.
    Last edited by ccugrad1; 12-26-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Eichel Tower

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast