Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,188
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    But the one thing you could say about last year's team is that you knew you had the defense to keep you in the games. This year, you can't say that and with what we will see in terms of QB's, that doesn't bode well.
    The defense has been inconsistent, I'll give you that much. But going in to the playoffs this year, knowing we didn't go in because a team rested starters, gives me more confidence then going in on a cheap win over the Colts last year. We did, after all, just beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, and they are the second seed as of right now.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    336
    His in game decisions, clock management, and game planning could be better for sure.. but at some point, players need to be accountable for mistakes.. Rex has take a defense with no superior pass rushers and still managed to have a top 10 defense (at least before today). Rex took em to the afc championship in his first year.. The jets have only even been to that game a hand full of times in their history.. What does he do in year two? He gets them back in the playoffs.. Not to mention with a rookie qb... The NFL is so competitive and hes managed to take the jets to a level where they are competing for a championship.. How can his results in his first 2 years coaching put him on the hot seat?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    91
    First off- Lets not bash Herm Edwards. Unless the Jets were destroyed by injuries in a given year those were good seasons and Herm was a pretty good head coach while he was here.

    Second- did Rex's OC get him in trouble? I don't think so. the problem right now is that Rex is still learning how to manage a game. Clearly he is learning as he goes. That is going to cost him at times. He has too much faith in his defense right now and his defense has not rewarded him for that.

    Schotty- has led an inconsistent offense this year. I have to give him credit though. I think he has finally figured out the formula for success. He is mixing up his play calling extremely well. He is setting up Sanchize for success!!! I think we are going into the playoffs with an offense that is really clicking. It was great to watch him use Keller this week. He did it because you use your TE against a Tampa 2 team. The scoring drives were like stealing.

    You have to wonder if Rex will have to give up the gameday running of the defense at some point. It is too hard to do both in the NFL especially for someone like Rex. Some of the things they did today were ridiculous defensively. Jason Taylor should not be covering a back out of the backfield man to man. This isn't second guessing because I was cursing at the TV before that ball was thrown. That is absurd. If you put him in that position you deserve to get burned.

    People compliment Westhoff but why the hell did he start smoking crack halfway through the game and start letting Hester touch the ball? That made no sense.

    The game was poorly managed and that is on the head coach.

    Having said all of this Rex shouldn't be on the hot seat. The problem is he has created an aura around this team that has every fan ready to be heartbroken if we don't win a superbowl. He has been telling us that this team is winning the superbowl since last year. Therefore no one cares about his record. According to him he will have underachieved two years in a row if they don't win the superbowl. Uderachieving head coaches are on the hot seat!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,061
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktownanalyst View Post
    The defense has been inconsistent, I'll give you that much. But going in to the playoffs this year, knowing we didn't go in because a team rested starters, gives me more confidence then going in on a cheap win over the Colts last year. We did, after all, just beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, and they are the second seed as of right now.
    But let me ask you this, aren't the Jets, deep down really backing in this year? I mean to be 9-2 and if Jacksonville wins today, have to win a Week 17 game with Buffalo to get in isn't very exciting if you ask me. Just my opinion though
    Eichel Tower

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,061
    Quote Originally Posted by shorecore View Post
    First off- Lets not bash Herm Edwards. Unless the Jets were destroyed by injuries in a given year those were good seasons and Herm was a pretty good head coach while he was here.

    Second- did Rex's OC get him in trouble? I don't think so. the problem right now is that Rex is still learning how to manage a game. Clearly he is learning as he goes. That is going to cost him at times. He has too much faith in his defense right now and his defense has not rewarded him for that.

    Schotty- has led an inconsistent offense this year. I have to give him credit though. I think he has finally figured out the formula for success. He is mixing up his play calling extremely well. He is setting up Sanchize for success!!! I think we are going into the playoffs with an offense that is really clicking. It was great to watch him use Keller this week. He did it because you use your TE against a Tampa 2 team. The scoring drives were like stealing.

    You have to wonder if Rex will have to give up the gameday running of the defense at some point. It is too hard to do both in the NFL especially for someone like Rex. Some of the things they did today were ridiculous defensively. Jason Taylor should not be covering a back out of the backfield man to man. This isn't second guessing because I was cursing at the TV before that ball was thrown. That is absurd. If you put him in that position you deserve to get burned.

    People compliment Westhoff but why the hell did he start smoking crack halfway through the game and start letting Hester touch the ball? That made no sense.

    The game was poorly managed and that is on the head coach.

    Having said all of this Rex shouldn't be on the hot seat. The problem is he has created an aura around this team that has every fan ready to be heartbroken if we don't win a superbowl. He has been telling us that this team is winning the superbowl since last year. Therefore no one cares about his record. According to him he will have underachieved two years in a row if they don't win the superbowl. Uderachieving head coaches are on the hot seat!
    I think Hester deserves more credit than the score sheet will show. He completely influenced our special teams. I thought too many times the Jets gave the Bears too good of field positions on kickoffs and that was totally due to Hester.
    Eichel Tower

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,407
    This is a little ridiculous. Like Sanchez there's somewhat of a learning curve in coaching for Rex. I love his football philosophy and mentality. He's hit a bump in the road but Rex Ryan has the team moving in the right direction. Even thought our defense has thrown in some stinkers, I'm concerned about our offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKnickFanatic View Post
    You know youre a Knicks fan when no matter how bad they suck, and all the wrong moves they make, and all the stupid crap they do, you stand by them, rooting for them, hoping they can turn it around soon!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maspeth (Queens), NY
    Posts
    29,833
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Or does it speak more to Schotty and the offense? I have more concerns on defense than I do on offense; I don't think anyone in here would have thought that this late in the year. Get mad at me all you want, and if they prove me wrong I will be man enough to admit it, but the Jets right now look like a one and done team this year.
    I'm not mad at you at all. I understand the defensive concerns. But if you wanna look at total defense in terms of yards and points allowed per game, jets are 5th. So Rex has done a very solid job with this defense all roster problems considered.

    Carson i'm gonna break down your post.

    I don't think he should be on the hot seat but I'm really surprised how many defenders he has. Might be the first time the fans don't want to blame the coach but he really does deserve a lot of blame.
    Because he's a second year coach who's had his team go to the playoffs for two years straight. That's why he has a lot of defenders.

    His calls to go for it on 4th down, all season have just been puzzling.
    He's aggressive with his playcalling. If he didn't then the papers would criticize him for being conservative.

    Bottom 3rd of the league in passing.
    second year QB who's inexperienced. what do you expect?

    6th in rushing ypg but they were 1st last year.
    so you're criticizing him for ONLY being 6th this year

    Only 1 good road win all season(Pittsburgh).
    just wanna let you know we are 6-2 on the road. and every year its always the schedule. people brought up the schedule last year as an excuse. obviously the commish only wants the jets to get an easy schedule.

    Absolutely unable to stop teams in some games.
    Every game has been close except for the NE game.

    He shouldn't be fired, and he shouldn't be on the hot seat until the end of the playoffs but I'm surprised more people aren't upset.
    He shouldn't be on the hot seat period. 2 years, 2 playoff appearances. We don't even know what's going to happen in the playoffs.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,188
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    But let me ask you this, aren't the Jets, deep down really backing in this year? I mean to be 9-2 and if Jacksonville wins today, have to win a Week 17 game with Buffalo to get in isn't very exciting if you ask me. Just my opinion though
    It's not like being 7-7 and having to beat the Colts backups to get in, at least not to me. Just look at it as the Jets clinched because they beat a good Pittsburgh team and got their 10th win, putting themselves in a position to make the teams around them win to get in.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,188
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    just wanna let you know we are 6-2 on the road. and every year its always the schedule. people brought up the schedule last year as an excuse. obviously the commish only wants the jets to get an easy schedule.
    On the contrary, the Jets had the third toughest schedule this year in terms of team DVOA. So they can't use that as an excuse.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maspeth (Queens), NY
    Posts
    29,833
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktownanalyst View Post
    On the contrary, the Jets had the third toughest schedule this year in terms of team DVOA. So they can't use that as an excuse.
    too much logic bro

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,188

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    37,904
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post

    Carson i'm gonna break down your post.


    Because he's a second year coach who's had his team go to the playoffs for two years straight. That's why he has a lot of defenders.
    Since when was that enough in NY? I mean Mangini go the team to the playoffs, and in his last year the team was 9-7 and that was after an injury to Favre that killed the season. This Rex team has wayyyyyyyy more talent than any Mangini team and yet they are at most 2 wins better then Mangini's team in his last year. This team should have been able to win 14 if were being honest



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    He's aggressive with his playcalling. If he didn't then the papers would criticize him for being conservative.
    You and me both know he didn't run a fake punt on 4th and a mile because if he didn't he would be too conservative



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    second year QB who's inexperienced. what do you expect?
    From the #5 overall pick? In his second year, with a great offensive line, the 6th best rushing attack, and really good receivers. A lot more then what he is doing.



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    so you're criticizing him for ONLY being 6th this year
    Not criticizing him, if anything more of a criticism of the GM, for going with Greene based on a span of, whatever it was at the end of last year, 4 games I think. I'm just saying this team is not as good as it was last year running the ball, that falls on the coach usually.



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    just wanna let you know we are 6-2 on the road. and every year its always the schedule. people brought up the schedule last year as an excuse. obviously the commish only wants the jets to get an easy schedule.
    haha don't worry I know that the schedule is completely random, the Bengals had the hardest schedule in the league this year by far, but its not a conspiracy, just bad look. But you can't just ignore the schedule, you have 2(I think going off memory) wins against teams over .500



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    Every game has been close except for the NE game.
    Besides the Bear game every close lose was because the defence stepped up, not sure what that means or if it supports my argument or not but thought it was worth mentioning



    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    He shouldn't be on the hot seat period. 2 years, 2 playoff appearances. We don't even know what's going to happen in the playoffs.
    I agree 100% that you have to wait until the playoffs end to really judge a season. Jets have the talent to win a superbowl.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Murder Capital
    Posts
    11,268
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    Doesn't that speak more to the job Rex is doing for this team to have 10 wins without all of that?
    Our wins are questionable though.

    Our 2nd year QB has 5 comeback wins which is SECOND in the league right now.

    We have only beaten 2 teams with +.500 record this year.

    Every player on our roster not named Sanchez and Edwards are worse players than they were last year. Key guys for whatever reason are just not showing up.

    This is what I know. This years Sanchez with last years defense probably would win the superbowl this year.

    Last year, we were fortunate to make the playoffs.

    I am not going to lie. I honestly believe that if BB, Cowher, JH, Tomlin, etc were our coach... we would have 2 more wins.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    44,275
    You guys make me laugh so hard. We win 9 games, and 10 games in 2 seasons, our defense has clearly faltered from last year, yet everything gets thrusted onto him? Can he push Shaun Ellis in any harder or something

    Is he perfect? No. We are not perfect. Our team has a ton of flaws in it. Our offense may have more talent but our defense has degressed... Ellis is not the same Ellis, our safeties minus Leonhard are hilariously bad and our linebackers are playing poorly.

    The play calling on defense doesn't even belong to him. We have a defensive coordinator... one who is more involved in the defense than he was last season.

    You New York fans really are crazy. I guess you wanted him to win a superbowl in Week 13 against the Patriots . The stories about how we want results? Yeah... We made the damn AFC Championship last year and while sharing the division with the best team in football, we clinched the playoffs in Week 16. But since that and us making the playoffs 2 years in a row is such a common theme, anyone mind pointing me in the direction of when the last time either of those things happened for our team?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maspeth (Queens), NY
    Posts
    29,833
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Since when was that enough in NY? I mean Mangini go the team to the playoffs, and in his last year the team was 9-7 and that was after an injury to Favre that killed the season. This Rex team has wayyyyyyyy more talent than any Mangini team and yet they are at most 2 wins better then Mangini's team in his last year. This team should have been able to win 14 if were being honest

    In his first two years as a head coach he's gotten them in the playoffs. First year was an AFC championship, second year we'll see. On a team that used to have no expectations, I think it's a good thing that all of a sudden we're expecting deep runs in the playoffs. In that sense Rex has been great.



    You and me both know he didn't run a fake punt on 4th and a mile because if he didn't he would be too conservative

    Well one of the main criticisms of Mangini was that he was conservative. But the same people criticize Rex for being to aggressive. it's the stupid media who just wants a story and don't care if they are hypocrites that piss me off.



    From the #5 overall pick? In his second year, with a great offensive line, the 6th best rushing attack, and really good receivers. A lot more then what he is doing.

    A great offensive line and a great rushing attack isn't gonna do anything to help his decision making, throws, and reading coverages. He's still below average although he shows signs of greatness (like today for instance). That has to develop on its own and it doesn't matter who's around you.



    Not criticizing him, if anything more of a criticism of the GM, for going with Greene based on a span of, whatever it was at the end of last year, 4 games I think. I'm just saying this team is not as good as it was last year running the ball, that falls on the coach usually.

    I disagree with you on Greene. LT has been the starter for most of the season, but Greene is the better running back. He had more than 5 yards a carry today.



    haha don't worry I know that the schedule is completely random, the Bengals had the hardest schedule in the league this year by far, but its not a conspiracy, just bad look. But you can't just ignore the schedule, you have 2(I think going off memory) wins against teams over .500


    But we have the third hardest schedule in the league according to DVOA. 10 wins is 10 wins no matter how you look at it.


    Besides the Bear game every close lose was because the defence stepped up, not sure what that means or if it supports my argument or not but thought it was worth mentioning





    I agree 100% that you have to wait until the playoffs end to really judge a season. Jets have the talent to win a superbowl.

    I disagree. I don't think their roster has super bowl potential on it. They have a chance because every other team except for NE has flaws of their own like we do.
    .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •