Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by The Intimidator View Post
    Care to back that statement up with some sort of proof? Because everything I have read about the Yankees' farm system has said that it's top heavy but not overly impressive.
    i dont wanna argue but you look at the red sox top 20 prospects and the yanks top 20 prospects and you tell me who is better

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You guys wanted to know the Yankees top 20...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...pects-for-2011

He did this six days ago, I just had not noticed it yet

Quote Originally Posted by nykobe24 View Post
    i dont wanna argue but you look at the red sox top 20 prospects and the yanks top 20 prospects and you tell me who is better
    In fairness, how can you say you don't want to argue? You came into a Red Sox prospect forum where we were discussing top prospects for the upcoming season and brought up something completely off topic. You clearly came into this thread with the intent to argue.

To your point though, the Yankees farm system is definitely top heavy. They have more high ceiling prospects in my opinion, especially after the A-Gon deal. However, I think the Red Sox system is deeper than the Yankees. This next year is huge for our farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSox>Yankees View Post
    How can you rank Westmoreland as our 2nd best prospect after having brain surgery this year? He just started to take some swings of a tee, come on.
    because I have faith in a kid that was far and away our best prospect prior to the season...

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by nykobe24 View Post
    Yankees are more top heavy while the red sox are deeper, we have 25-30 guys who could all one day be major league players, yankees have about half if not less than half as many.

Montero, Romine, Brackman, Betances and Banuelos make the system really good, but then after that it's not anything to gawk at. Ranaudo could be on pace with if not better than Banuelos by the end of the season. Britton will likely be better than Brackman and Betances. And If Westmoreland bounces back after surgery, he's only a step below Montero if not on pace with him.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by RedSox>Yankees View Post
    How can you rank Westmoreland as our 2nd best prospect after having brain surgery this year? He just started to take some swings of a tee, come on.
    I think ranking prospects has more to do with potential then actual talent. That is why I ranked him first. lol

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Yankees are more top heavy while the red sox are deeper, we have 25-30 guys who could all one day be major league players, yankees have about half if not less than half as many.

Montero, Romine, Brackman, Betances and Banuelos make the system really good, but then after that it's not anything to gawk at. Ranaudo could be on pace with if not better than Banuelos by the end of the season. Britton will likely be better than Brackman and Betances. And If Westmoreland bounces back after surgery, he's only a step below Montero if not on pace with him.
    Westmoreland could be ten times better than Montero. I am not sure about Montero's speed, but I know he isn't a great defensive catcher from what I have read and is pretty much a great hitter. Westmoreland has the potential to be a 5 tool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by athlete9393 View Post
    I think ranking prospects has more to do with potential then actual talent. That is why I ranked him first. lol
    Sure, but do you remember a guy named Wily Mo Pena? He had all the potential in the world, but look where he's now! All I'm trying to say that prospect rankings should be based on multiple things, not just potential. I think age, production, health, potential, talent, athleticism, tools, motivation are all important for a prospect, not just his potential.
    Westmoreland isn't healthy, so I don't understand how he can be in ones top 5, let alone top 20. You can't expect him to be as good as he was. Sure, if he's gonna play like he did before his surgery, he's a #1 in everyone's list.
    Last edited by RedSox>Yankees; 12-29-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Bobby V is all in!

thanks guys for answering my opinion in manners much respect tp you guys

9. 12-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    To your point though, the Yankees farm system is definitely top heavy. They have more high ceiling prospects in my opinion, especially after the A-Gon deal. However, I think the Red Sox system is deeper than the Yankees. This next year is huge for our farm system.
    I think that this is basically the key. The Yankees have some big names at the top of the system and that gives weight to their ranking. They started 2010 ranked in the mid-teens (I think) and finished in the top 10 because the top of the system progressed really well. The Sox started on the cusp of the top 10 but the potential loss of Westmoreland, the mediocre season of Kelly, and his subsequent trade with Rizzo, Fuentes, and Patterson dropped them closer to the back end of the teens.

The Sox made a deliberate shift in their drafting strategy a few years ago, targeting high ceiling HS players who could be lured by money over more advanced college players. That's left a gap in the top of the system that Epstein famously (but often incorrectly understood) called a "bridge period". Two highly regarded drafts, including the #1 draft of 2010, has filled the farm with a great deal of potential that must now deliver.

With due respect to the NYY fan who started this, please realize that most teams look at their farm system and think it's absolutely marvelous. As fans we typically spend more time with our own prospects and develop a very skewed view. Before the AGon trade you would very likely had people going to blows with you over which farm and which top-20 was better. Right now many are willing to concede because of the losses. Give us time; we'll be overly opinionated about our guys soon enough...

^^Any reason my remark was deleted? Too accurate or what?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123