Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Josh Beckett VS John Lackey

What's up guys, I was wondering who do u guys think will have a better season Beckett or lackey.

I feel better will have a better season.
    Beckett in 06 = sucked
    Beckett in 07 = GOD
    Beckett in 08 = sucked
    Beckett in 09= a good year
    Beckett in 10= no comment
    Beckett in 11 = beast
    See guys the pattern is there. There's no way he can pitch worse then he did in 2010, Beckett has always been a streaky pitcher by this I mean when hot he can win 10 starts in a row, when he's bad he gets rocked hard
    Our 2011 season rests in the hands of Beckett and lackey because you know Lester will be nasty and same with clay

this is how it is

06- Sucked
    07- Monster
    08- Very Good
    09- Very Good
    10- Injured/Sucked/Bad luck

WAR

06- 2.1
    07- 6.5
    08- 5.1
    09- 5.4
    10- 1.4
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Hopefully they both have really great seasons. Beckett in some games last season was lights out, almost un-hittable for 4-5 innings, and then the wheels seemd to fall off... hopefully he can get past that this year.
    As far as Lackey goes, I didn't think he was all that bad from about July on. I'm hoping for somewhere around 30 + wins combined from the them this year.....

Well... Beckett has the pattern, but, I'd rather look at what they have as pitchers.

Lackey - has less stuff then Beckett and is a long way from his 2002 form, yet he has remained effective, not as an ace - but as a 1B/2A sort of pitcher getting by on control as much or more then his stuff. He had 3 quite fine months in his last 4 last year. I think he'll be pretty good: 200 IP+, under 4.20 ERA - maybe even as low as 3.60.

Beckett has better stuff (at least sometimes), but he has never had really good control. I mean he can throw a strike, but he cannot throw all his pitches to any part of the strike zone - or as many as lackey. Never could. As his velocity decreases from his peak, he's going to give up a lot of HR's, and BB's unless he can improve his control. I think the next few years will find Beckett more inconsistent then Lackey.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

08 he wasn't very good, ok at best he went 12-10 with an era in the low 4s, he's the guy I want on the mound in a need to must win, back in 08 he helped us win game 6 of alcs with a gutsy performance

Quote Originally Posted by Redsox19 View Post
    08 he wasn't very good, ok at best he went 12-10 with an era in the low 4s, he's the guy I want on the mound in a need to must win, back in 08 he helped us win game 6 of alcs with a gutsy performance
    You mean he is the guy you want on the mound in 2011 to win a must game? Lester took that away from him several years ago, and I see nothing that says Beckett will regain that distinction again. I have Lester as the #1 - which he has earned, and Beckett as the #4 which he has earned IMO.

If you want to mix up the pitchers in order of how teams see them, you could do much worse then Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Beckett, Dice. Barring anything strange in ST, that's how I'd line them up.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsox19 View Post
    I would have to agree with Bagwell and his comments on this as well. I think Beckett can bounce back and be a very serviceable #3 or 4 guy,(I'm actually hoping for a 13 -15 win season out of him) but if it's do or die, Beckett is not the guy I'm giving the ball to, sorry. I believe Lester has definitely earned that honor over the last 3 years.

Yes Lester is a beast I guess I'm just stuck in 2007 when Beckett carried us to the world series

Let me look into the old crystal ball (insert blowing off dust sound). Lester 21 wins, Buchholz 17, Beckett 15, Lackey 15. Not sure about #5 starter, not sure if Dice-K will be here. But i think Beckett and Lackey will have a solid year with a chance to have really good years based on the belief that this offense is going to put up big numbers which in a latent manner could force other teams to swing a bad pitches to create offense as they will be playing catch up.

beckett has been the better pitcher and still have more upside but also has a higher chance of failure for the previously stated reasons

I love Beckett but his ship has sailed, if he can somehow come back to be what he used to be, watch out because this team is going to be scary good.

I don't get it, is beckett not allowed to have a bad year/injuries/luck

Am I like the only that realizes he compiled over a 16 WAR over a span of 3 years?

If he does bad this year then you start to worry
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by taffi101 View Post
    Beckett in some games last season was lights out, almost un-hittable for 4-5 innings
    If he can couple that with some positive work with Curt Young.... BOOM!

You must look at injuries Beckett has more, more often. His FB has remained solid but he has been UP in the zone. (control) He needs to keep the ball down and away or in tight but he has a penchant for dead red.
    His curve ball same problems , control.

Lackey is just consistent as far as control he also needs to stay down and away. He has bad games when he doesn't do that, simple. But he is durable and that gives him an edge going forward he is a smarter pitcher.

Beckett gets mad and over throws .......doesn't pitch -in- enough. He leaves hangers dead red.

I'd add either into a trade along with Dicek. If someone would take Becketts deal I'd prefer it be him because of his inconsistencies. Also age and being a power pitcher. I need to see Lackey this yr first though because he had some new hitters to get used too , along with surroundings.

Beckett needs a gym API for months on end instead of deer hunting and beers.
    Whadya say Josh? Work on that mid section....maybe less injuries too seeing its your obliques that always come up on injury reports.

Beckett will be a stud in 2011, he's still very good and on top of it he's only 30 Years old

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast