Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do the Red sox have a good enough lineup to win the Division

Do the Red sox have a good enough lineup to win the Division?

I think they do because of Adrian Gonzalez and their Free agent acquisitions.

I think they do
    Boston - City of Champions

Ya gotta remember we won 88 games last year with an injury depleted team, add the likes of an Adrian Gonzalez, a Carl Crawford and revamped bullpen, to go along with Beckett and Lackey having bounce back years, we clearly have a team that will compete for the division title. But thats why they play the game at the same time.

The offense was 2nd in the league in runs scored and was ranked very high amongst other categories as well, I don't see a problem there at all. Getting key pieces to the lineup back along with the additions of Crawford and Gonzalez should definitely help as well.

The Red Sox defense was below league average last year after an offseason in which everyone assumed it would be a strength. Having Crawford in LF should help but a lot is going to depend on how well Jacoby can do in CF. The pitching can also perform a lot better then it did, especially at the back of the rotation and in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    The offense was 2nd in the league in runs scored and was ranked very high amongst other categories as well, I don't see a problem there at all. Getting key pieces to the lineup back along with the additions of Crawford and Gonzalez should definitely help as well.

The Red Sox defense was below league average last year after an offseason in which everyone assumed it would be a strength. Having Crawford in LF should help but a lot is going to depend on how well Jacoby can do in CF. The pitching can also perform a lot better then it did, especially at the back of the rotation and in the bullpen.
    The D was down from what was expected for the same reasons you cited in your summary on batting.

Pedroia, Youk, Cameron, Scutaro all missed time, or played hurt. Ellsbury wasn't as good as those guys but better then what we used.

I'd say the O came through real well, and the fielding came up better then the pitching did.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by rayallenjfb View Post
    Do the Red sox have a good enough lineup to win the Division?

I think they do because of Adrian Gonzalez and their Free agent acquisitions.
    Obviously, we don't just hav the best lineup in the division but a good enough lineup and roster to win it all for the next 5 years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan2434 View Post
    Obviously, we don't just hav the best lineup in the division but a good enough lineup and roster to win it all for the next 5 years to come.
    I would put this line-up, up against any other in the division, and would rest quite easy believing it is as good, or better than any of them. On paper this team looks primed to be the team to beat in the AL east , but on paper is just that, on paper. The off season is not over yet, and I'm sure the Yankees have their braintrust working on something? The Orioles are a ways away from challenging, the Jays will be good , and I think Tampa may be in for a tough year.
    I believe the key to success for them is to try and keep most of their players on the field, and out of the MRI units.This team is definitely going to score runs, and should be quite adept at preventing them as well.

Lets hope they do.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

I'm sure our lineup will be good enough. The only thing I'm concerned about is Beckett and Lackey bouncing back. If they put together productive seasons there is no doubt in my mind we win the division and even 100+ games.

Yup, we need our starting pitching to do a lot better. But equally the bullpen must do their parts. Only Bard did that in the pen last season.

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The D was down from what was expected for the same reasons you cited in your summary on batting.

Pedroia, Youk, Cameron, Scutaro all missed time, or played hurt. Ellsbury wasn't as good as those guys but better then what we used.

I'd say the O came through real well, and the fielding came up better then the pitching did.
    Yes, I agree however the defense was overrated to begin with. Only Pedroia is the real elite defender of the group, Youk is well above average at 1st but who knows how good he will be full time at 3rd. Scutaro is a bit below average and Cameron is declining with the glove and it's really unknown how good he will be at his current age coming off of an injury.

CF defense was a major issue last year, and with that being a question mark again this year I can't say I'm too confident that this unit will be too much of an improvement over last year, although it will be better.
    Last edited by quiksilver2491; 12-23-2010 at 12:59 AM.

A-GON his gunna put up some crazy numbers at fenway.
    The sox can now beat u with the longball.
    C.C and ellsbury and beat u with the legs.
    Pedroia is back..nuff said dudes a stud

I think it's going to be very, very good.

We all know what certain players are capable of. We can all imagine what Gonzalez will do in Fenway v. PETCO, that's been talked the death.

The two players that, to me, could move this offense from very good, to prolific are the guys I'd like to see hit 8th and 9th: Jed Lowrie, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Saltalamacchia: He's never been an OBP warrior, far from it. His strikeout numbers have kept his averages down his entire professional career. But, and granted it's a TINY sample size, last year in his cup o' coffee with the Sox he drew 6 BB to only 4 K. I know, I know.. It's hard to read anything in to that, BUT it does show me that he arrived in Boston and they immediately put emphasis on taking pitches. This is only going to help him be a better offensive player.

If you look at his accomplishments, across all levels, assuming 500 AB in a season his average season looks like this:

16.9 HR 70.4 RBI .256 BA <--- Good numbers for a catcher, but you have to anticipate the possibility that he improves given the new system he is in, new coaches, and the fact that he's still only 25.

Lowrie: Sure, he hit 9 HR in September, but let's bear in mind he did this off of expanded roster pitchers. Power has never been Lowrie's game, although I do not think that 18 over the course of 550 AB's is out of the question.

Look through his career accomplishments and he's got a tremendous eye at the plate, and exceptional patience - A career .380 OBP in the minor leagues.

In the end I think we all know what a HEALTHY 1-7 gives us (Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford, Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, Drew) -- The real wild card is the aforementioned, what the Sox get out of the 8 and 9 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    Yes, I agree however the defense was overrated to begin with. Only Pedroia is the real elite defender of the group, Youk is well above average at 1st but who knows how good he will be full time at 3rd. Scutaro is a bit below average and Cameron is declining with the glove and it's really unknown how good he will be at his current age coming off of an injury.

CF defense was a major issue last year, and with that being a question mark again this year I can't say I'm too confident that this unit will be too much of an improvement over last year, although it will be better.
    We were talking 2009 and 2010 I thought.

Cameron will not start, and even at his age should provide positive defense when he does - at any of the 3 OF slots.

Scutaro was leading the AL in some metric named something like plays outside of normal range - before he got hurt in 2009. Last year he was 3rd in UZR/150 before he got hurt. If they limit him to 110-120 games with the nice UZR/150 Lowrie I see an above average SS.

Youk has played over 60 games twice at 3B, and sports a +6.9 UZR/150 career mark over there in 219 games. I'd say he should be above average. I hope to see Lowrie over there as well, and he's a good 3B.

Crawford is clearly a better LF then anyone we had in LF last year.

Adrian is about as good as Youk at 1B.

Salty should be as good or better a defensive C then VMart

The 2011 Red Sox will be above average with the glove IMO. Assuming normal injuries, they will be better then 2010 as well.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Now to get sober:

Guys in or near decline: Ortiz, Scutaro, Drew, Tek, Cameron (that might be ~2050 PA's)

Guys that may not be as good after injury/or take time getting back: Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury (that's ~2050 PA's)

Guys a lot is expected from with a shrimpy resume: Salty (~400 PA's) -
    Everyone seems to be focused on the new toys, and forget that we have age and injury issues that may turn out to be significant.

Happily for Red Sox fans, after 2011, we lose: Ortiz, Drew, Cameron, Tek, Scutaro (option), Paps, Wakefield, and a couple of pen pieces...

To me that means we should get over 900 runs this year. But in 2012-2014 at least one year we should go over 1000 - assuming the FA market and farm produce good substitutes for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast