Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'papi View Post
    Really? His father was my catcher in LL......Gary. I had Andrew in fall ball in
    RI. He was a catcher then mostly.
    haha ya ...he's distant...but my moms maiden name is carignan and our grandpas were first cousins...i played legion with andrew....and wit his brother conner....and then when i played at sacred heart....i played against connor as he plays with bryant.....

SI_JonHeyman

i didnt have answer on wbz-fm a few mins ago. but yes, #redsox are still looking at fuentes. pen w/ him, bard, jenks & pap would be superb
    about 1 hour ago via web
    its back on again...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan2434 View Post
    its back on again...
    As soon as Fuentes lowers his demands, Theo's going to sign him. Probably happens sometimes in January, because I can't see anyone giving him 3 years with 6-7 mio/year, not with so many good guys still out there (Balfour and co.)

Would be really nice to have a leftie-killer in the bullpen.

I don't understand this love affair Sox fans have with names. A pen of Bard, Jenks, Paps and Fuentes would be excellent?

Paps was arguably the worst closer in baseball last year. Jenks was replaced. Had an era+ of 97. Yes, he had a great K/9, but its a results-based business. Fuentes was effective at least and we all know about Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan2434 View Post
    its back on again...
    Don't forget the rest. His follow up was:

while #redsox like fuentes, they have company. others w/some interest: tor, tb, colo, sea, minn, pitt, phil, milw, nyy & nym
    Interest implies price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    I don't understand this love affair Sox fans have with names. A pen of Bard, Jenks, Paps and Fuentes would be excellent?

Paps was arguably the worst closer in baseball last year. Jenks was replaced. Had an era+ of 97. Yes, he had a great K/9, but its a results-based business. Fuentes was effective at least and we all know about Bard.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    I'm sorry, the leader in blown-saves and losses among closers WAS ****ING AWESOME!!! That's what I meant to say.

i dont see him signing with the sox. heyman tweeted a huge list of teams that are interested in the left hander
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

I'm sorry, the leader in blown-saves and losses among closers WAS ****ING AWESOME!!! That's what I meant to say.
    idk but i still have faith in him. hes on a contract year & he wants some big $$$
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

Alfredo Simon, Octavio Dotel, Jon Rauch, David Aardsma, Francisco Cordero, Chris Perez, Ryan Franklin, Matt Lindstrom, Jose Valverde, Kevin Gregg and Brandon Lyon all pitched worse than Papelbon last season. Granted, Papelbon had a bad season.
    Last edited by RedSox>Yankees; 12-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Bobby V is all in!

heres an article
    According to a tweet from SI’s Jon Heyman, the Red Sox “have company” as far as trying to sign free agent reliever Brian Fuentes goes.

Heyman lists the Blue Jays, Rays, Rockies, Mariners, Twins, Pirates, Phillies, Brewers, Yankees and Mets as teams with an eye on the left-hander, who remains unsigned as the new year draws closer. Fuentes has pitched for three of the teams on that list, as he broke into the majors with the Mariners before spending the next seven years in Colorado. He finished last season with the Twins after being acquired from the Angels and allowed three hits and no runs in nine appearances for Minnesota.

Fuentes had a career-high 48 saves with the Angels in 2009. His 2.81 earned run average between the Angels and the Twins last season was the third-best mark of his career. He posted ERAs of 2.73 and 2.75 in 2008 and 2003, respectively.

If the Red Sox were to bring in the 35-year-old, he would join Bobby Jenks as another major addition to the Sox’ bullpen. The Sox signed Jenks to a two-year, $12 million deal earlier this month.
    http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...brian-fuentes/
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

I'm no Papelbon fan, but saying he was the worst closer in baseball last year is being a bit dramatic. Clippard blew more saves. Heilman blew just as many saves and only converted 6 opportunities. Nunez blew just as many games and made 7 less saves. Guys like Alfredo Simon, Matt Lindstrom and Bobby Jenks had much worse overall stats.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSox>Yankees View Post
    Alfredo Simon, Octavio Dotel, Jon Rauch, David Aardsma, Francisco Cordero, Chris Perez, Ryan Franklin, Matt Lindstrom, Jose Valverde, Kevin Gregg and Brandon Lyon pitched all worse than Papelbon last season. Granted, Papelbon had a bad season.
    Pah...I meant to say "In the league"...and still don't see how Aardsma and Gregg were worse...I haven't looked at the others much yet.

A closers job is to close. Papelbon was among the league leaders in failing to do that, AND he led the league in losses for a closer. Allthe SABR stats in the world won't change that. His position is results based, and FIP, and the FBI and the NAACP won't change that.

I'm interested in seeing how Papelbon takes this going into next year. Is it going to effect his ability on the field, knowing he's got to put out better than last year? Or will he be oblivous to it all and rebound with a great year? Personally I've been saying for a couple years, that teams are onto his game and hav adjusted to it and he hasn't evolved which led to declining stats in every year.

Remember when he first came in the league and was striking everyone out with that high fast ball out of the strike zone for strike 3? Yeah that one. Well, they figured out to not swing at at the strike 3 pitch cause it would most likely be called a ball. They figured him out. He rarely pitched strike 3 within the zone. it was always high and they kept swinging at it for like 3 years. He's gotta change and develop a new strike 3 caliber pitch. He could'nt do that last year. The question is, will he?

Questions to answer about Fuentes?

#1. Sox are already over the cap, another good sized contract for a guy that will pitch 55 innings - does that make sense?

#2. Chemistry. We already have Pap, Jenks, and Bard. I'm sure it was explained to Bard. Look, in 2012 worst case you have Jenks in front of you for one year, more likely you are closing and he's a key set-up guy. Now you want to add another two year guy itching for a closers job to this mix. How many guys do you think it's good to piss off on a team over one job?

If we MUST have a lefty that we don't have now. OK, fine, but it won't be Fuentes - unless he comes for short money with the public and private comment that he isn't here to close. Let me know when the derisive laughing from the agent dies down.

OR

Paps or Bard are dealt.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast