Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Ty Cobb,Rogers Hornsby,Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Stan Musiel

How would you rank those players from best to worst?

NOTE: I'm not sure if anyone else belongs in that group, but if so, add them in the discussion as well.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

forgetting Hank Aaron at least... lol a few others belong in this conversation too.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    How would you rank those players from best to worst?

NOTE: I'm not sure if anyone else belongs in that group, but if so, add them in the discussion as well.
    Ruth
    Bonds
    Cobb
    Mays
    Hank Aaron
    Honus Wagner
    Tris Speaker
    Rogers Hornsby
    Stan MusiAl (no E)
    Ted Williams

Reason Williams is lower is because of how much time he missed.

In terms of peak value...

Ruth
    Williams
    Bonds
    Cobb
    Hornsby

Mays
    Ruth
    Cobb
    Bonds
    Williams
    Musial
    Hornsby
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

I don't think that you can compare pre 1920 and post 1920 players very well, or at all.

Also according to Bill James, every decade on average the game gets about 10% harder.

I don't give Bonds anything after the juice, if you give him a decline similar to Musial, on paper Musial is better. But he came later.

In real life:

Bonds

Ted, Musial, Mays

Ruth, Cobb

Hornsby
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Could argue why each is the best and each is the worst out of that group. I think Ruth will always have had the biggest impact on the game as we know it.

Ruth
    Mays
    Bonds
    Cobb
    Williams
    Musial
    Hornsby

Ruth will always be number IMO because of how much he changed the game, and his power numbers plus average in comparison to many in his era. However, you could always argue for anyone to be the best of that group. I would gladly start any franchise with any of those players

Thanks to Infernoscurse for the amazing Sig!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Reason Williams is lower is because of how much time he missed.
    How much time he missed?

I believe you're a fan of Bill James. Bill James gives credit for Negro League guys and for guys at war. Did you know Ted Williams is one of the very few people who wasn't in the military as a career that served in both WWII (probably the single most important even of the last 2k years), and the Korean War?

Even with all that he is 97th all time at 9791 PA's, and ahead of Hornsby in 110th place all time PA.

Well since the list is morphing, I'll give my own:

(peak + career) (- era weakness) (- juice) (- evil personality)

Mays
    Aaron
    Musial
    Williams
    Bonds
    Mantle
    Ruth
    Schmidt
    Ricky
    FRob
    Morgan
    Gehrig
    Wagner
    Pujols
    Mathews
    AROD
    Foxx
    Speaker

off the top of my head....
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Evil personality? Are you kidding me?

First of all, you don't know any of these people so you don't know what they're like personally.

Second of all, personality has nothing to do with how great of a baseball player you are.

Quote Originally Posted by The SF Giant View Post
    Evil personality? Are you kidding me?

First of all, you don't know any of these people so you don't know what they're like personally.

Second of all, personality has nothing to do with how great of a baseball player you are.
    However arrest logs, times before a grand jury, teammates who snipe and tell.... and other reasons give a clear indication of what sort of teammate we are talking about.

As long as baseball is played by 9 vs 9, the effect of a personality is very real, like it or not. Ted Williams was far from a peach himself. Only Musial of the top group of LF'ers was any sort of ideal personality.