Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How important is college ?

can someone afford not to go ?

In the United States, it's pretty damn important, especially in California.

I'm going the long route. Affordable community colleges, and then go after my Bachelors/Masters Degree once ready.

From an actual learning stand point, I think it's extremely overrated. However, you're not getting a decent job or even a job at all in this current economy without a degree. Even a degree now days isn't doing. You almost need a Masters.

Some people get lucky and can find success without a solid education, but probably not.
    I'm 24 and just started my first year back at University.
    I had a college diploma, and found it very difficult to get where I wanted to be, so I had to go back.

I think Sox_13 hit the nail on the head, it isnt really important for what you learn, in fact half of what you learn will be out of date within 5 years, but it is useful because it forces you to learn in a different way than HS did, which the real world expects you to learn in (ie not just Googling everything). Also it is an invaluable experience because you get away from your parents in a semi-structured environment where it is all on you to do what you need to do.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

It depends on what you're studying. Engineering/Computer/Medicine/Sciences usually its very important since those stuff are going to be definitely used later in life.

Other majors not as much.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

Ian. Guest
    I just landed a good job and I have no college degree.

Experience, experience, experience.

Depends on what you study. http://chronicle.com/blogs/innovatio...-college/27634
    About 5000 Ph.D.'s are doing janitorial tasks.

I dont know how the situatn is in Usa.

But in spain is pretty pathetich, University titles no longer mean Jack.

Im graduated at Law ( with an Average B+ Grades) and im working in a Frigging Hotel as Night recepcionist , and have worked as SOny salesman and Carpet Salesman on a store but i havent been able to grab an Attorney Job nor being close to it, From all of my mates in the Law Career only ONE is working as Atorney .

SO go figure...

To make things worse , one o my cousisns of my same age dropped out of school at 16 and learn to be a plumber.

The Mofo Is Earing 4 times more money a month than i do.
    Last edited by Hellcrooner; 11-04-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    ]

It depends on if you know what you want to do and if you can afford to go to college.
    Lately college has gotten very expensive and salaries are getting lower and lower.
    If you can get a decent job out of high school with good benefits and opportunities to work your way up the ladder right now in this economy it might be a better option than putting yourself $80,000+ in debt and 4-5 years of education you may or may not need for the a job you might not even get.

Quote Originally Posted by ReJo View Post
    It depends on if you know what you want to do and if you can afford to go to college.
    Lately college has gotten very expensive and salaries are getting lower and lower.
    If you can get a decent job out of high school with good benefits and opportunities to work your way up the ladder right now in this economy it might be a better option than putting yourself $80,000+ in debt and 4-5 years of education you may or may not need for the a job you might not even get.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think Sox_13 hit the nail on the head, it isnt really important for what you learn, in fact half of what you learn will be out of date within 5 years, but it is useful because it forces you to learn in a different way than HS did, which the real world expects you to learn in (ie not just Googling everything). Also it is an invaluable experience because you get away from your parents in a semi-structured environment where it is all on you to do what you need to do.
    And this.

IMO, unless you are specializing in a particular field (ie medicine, engineering, law, etc.) college is pretty useless as far a getting an "education". But the experience and being self-sufficient on your own is 100000x more important than the things you'll learn in the classroom. Coming from someone who got a Liberal Arts degree and works in sales now (who is also in 75k+ of debt), college isn't worth the money for the education. That being said, I would make the decision to go to school 10 times out of 10. The experience is definitely worth it.

I'm a bit iffy on University. I don't know if I can handle the work or be able to afford it. I feel that I'm better off where I am today.

It's not WHAT you learn, it's HOW you learn.

"There's no better public education than teaching kids that they should have been born to a parent who could afford their cancer treatments." - @LOLGOP

Others have said it well so far.

I'd say more than anything, I wouldn't plan to not attend college. It's just a part of the learning experience in life, and not just from an academic standpoint.

To answer the question, you can afford to not go. But it could be a huge mistake.

Just don't pick a major that is most likely useless in the real world, then college can be very important.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast