Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Are the 0-1 Heat in a hole?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mia...heat-in-a-hole

It was just Game 1 of 82, but if you're a fan of historical trends, the Heat's opening night loss to the Celtics is not a good omen for this season.

Since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, there have been 34 NBA champions crowned, and only eight of those 34 teams (23.5 percent) lost their season openers. The 2009-10 Lakers weren't among those eight. Nor were the 2008-09 Lakers, or the 2007-08 Celtics. In fact, you have to go all the way back to the 2003-04 Pistons to find a team that started the season 0-1 and finished it by hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy (or, as Wade calls it, "Mr. Larry").

Going from a loss to a championship has proven exceedingly difficult in recent seasons. The 2003-04 Pistons squad is the only team in the 2000s to do it. In their opening game, they lost to the Pacers -- the 61-21 team they ultimately defeated in the conference finals.

In the 90s, two teams started with a loss and ended with a banner: Michael Jordan's first and last title teams. The 1997-98 Bulls opened with a 7-point loss at Boston, then bounced back the very next night with a win over the 76ers. The Heat's next opponent? The 76ers.

And Miami's probably going to want to win that game, because it's been 20 years since a team started a season on a losing streak and recovered to win a championship. The 1991 Bulls -- Jordan's aforementioned first title team -- started 0-3 and were below .500 11 games into the season, but recovered to win 61 games and beat the Lakers in the Finals.

Last edited by Gators123; 10-27-2010 at 12:48 AM.

So if the Lakers lose then do they get this article written about them too?

HEAT
    Spurs
    Marlins
    Dolphins
    Eagles
    Gators

Quote Originally Posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
    Yes.

they were owned in the paint tonight IMO and against the teams like boston and orlando and even chicago with boozer and noah, they are gonna suffer
    Last edited by D Roses Bulls; 10-27-2010 at 12:51 AM.

hahaha

first of all, I get the point of the article.. but what the hell.. its one game, they havent even played together much, theyll make the playoffs.

However, with that being said, the beast in the east, best def. prob in the nba, the team to beat in the east.. LETS GO CELTICSS!

Quote Originally Posted by BDoggaF View Post
    hahaha

first of all, I get the point of the article.. but what the hell.. its one game, they havent even played together much, theyll make the playoffs.

However, with that being said, the beast in the east, best def. prob in the nba, the team to beat in the east.. LETS GO CELTICSS!
    You guys are the defending Eastern Conference Champs, so I have no argument with that.

HEAT
    Spurs
    Marlins
    Dolphins
    Eagles
    Gators

There's 81 ****ing games left, who knows they might finish 81-1(unlikely)

Kind of silly, Adam Reisinger. Kind of silly.

hahahahaha w.e.

hasnt lebron lost the last couple season openers and his team the last 2 years won 66 and 61 games best record..

Listen I'm a Laker fan, and no they aren't... I called this game once it first game out, the most overhyped, overrated game of the season. It literally means nothing. Great win for Boston, but we know that Boston, LA, Miami are arguably the 3 best teams in the league, and they'll be playing deep into the playoffs.

+1

And btw, I'm not a Heat fan. If you knew what I think of Lebron and Bosh that would be clear. But I'm a fan who's sick of the Heat hate, if only because it's becoming far more annoying than Lebron could ever be.

Let's just enjoy the season.
    If we're all such great coaches why do we recruit so hard? You need players.

~ Jack Armstrong, ECF 2016

They're on pace to go 0-82.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali
    “People do say I'm cocky, some say I need a good whuppin', some say I talk too much. But anything I say I'm willing to back up.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jaji View Post
    They're on pace to go 0-82.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast