Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

World Championship vs Olympics

I know everyone thinks that the World Championships is better than the Olympics for Basketball.

But if it's looked at as superior to the Olympics by other countries, why did none of the major players for other countries participate?

IMO, the 2008 Olympics > 2010 World Championships. And that's all that matters right now, until the next time these events come around.
    Last edited by Wade>You; 09-02-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    PSD's Nick Naylor

PSD's Longest-tenured HEAT fan

Just in: 40K posts in 2 years, all facepalms and baiting. Get a life you loser.

R.I.P. Clara

[IMG]http://oi39.tinypic.com/e98dok.jpg[/IMG/]

Why don't they participate?

Interesting question, which is probably a question Americans should answer first. Not just for their national team, but for every NBA player.

Dirk Nowitzki for Germany, not allowed by Dallas Mavericks
    Chris Kaman for Germany, elected not to go because Nowitziki didn't (clown move imo)
    Tony Parker for France, not allowed by San Antonio Spurs
    Ronny Turiaf for France, knee issues
    Rodrigue Beaubois for France, surgery
    Pau Gasol for Spain. He requested not to go because of some 300 games played non stop
    Yao Ming for China, just returned from injury (probably not allowed either)
    Joakim Noah for France, cut from the team. He wanted to sign a new deal with the Bulls and French said we won't wait for you
    Manu Ginobili of Argentina, recently father so he wants to spend time with his family.
    Andrei Kirilenko of Russia, not allowed by Utah Jazz
    Mikael Pietrus of France, I'm not sure if there's a real reason behind the decision

Maybe I missed some. But as you can see, it's either injuries, precautions or NBA teams not allowing players.

It's actually the NBA's decision that Olympics>World Championship, so teams with NBA stars gain problems from this.

Olympics is a very small competition. In the world's you'll see more games, more upsets and better basketball (in the knockout stages)

The format may be better, but the way the players view it was that preparing for Beijing meant a lot more for their respective countries than this year's World Championships.

So it's really not just the Americans, but the numerous other players who felt this way.

Personally, I'm just tired of hearing that the World Championships is superior when the players don't view it that way.

I think the players attending decide the caliber of the tournament.
    PSD's Nick Naylor

PSD's Longest-tenured HEAT fan

Just in: 40K posts in 2 years, all facepalms and baiting. Get a life you loser.

R.I.P. Clara

[IMG]http://oi39.tinypic.com/e98dok.jpg[/IMG/]