Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
    Which prep player with signability issues are we rooting for in the 3rd round. Rocker? Siani? Wilcox?

Iím hoping for Siani.
    Last edited by GasMan; 06-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Mize probably won't pitch the rest of the year like they did with Faedo last year. Since he is a college arm he will probably start in High A and quickly move to AA if all things go well.

Tigers now have 5 SP in the top 100 of all prospects. The future starting rotation looks so bright at the moment. Hopefully they can develop in time and since the team is bad there is absolutely no reason to rush them.

Tigers can trade Nick C and Fulmer for offensive prospects over the next couple of season to go with Paredes and Stewart. I do like the Meadows pick. They really need to invest in MIF though. Wish they would dabble in the international market more.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Wish they would dabble in the international market more.
    Ahoda, are you trying to egg me on? You know my displeasure with the inactivity of international talent, lol. On day two of the draft, if we go with guys that will require a push to not commit:

Adam Kloffenstein and Kumar Rocker top my list, with Siani and Nander DeSedas right behind them. Cole Wilcox is the higher rated guy but I just don't think we have a chance to sign him.

If we stick with guys we pretty much know will sign:

Konner Pilkington (LHP- Miss State)
    Tristan Pompay (OF- Kentucky)
    Jonathan Ornelas (INF- Ariz HS)
    Kyle Isbel (OF/INF- UNLV)

Tigers drafted Koby Clemens...........yes he's related to the roided up Roger.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ens/673533002/

I kind of like the way Avila and staff are drafting right now. They seem to be going after projectable high ceiling guys. The fielders are all athletic, a bit raw, but have talent to refine. The pitchers are a mixed bag right now but mostly college guys that could be starters or relievers with talent. Here are my favorite day 2 picks:

Hugh Smith, RHP, Whitworth College- Dude grew almost a foot and gained 10 MPH on his fast ball since his freshman season. Now at 6'10" he has a 97mph fast ball with good movement. Expectedly he has some control issues at this point but getting use to his body will help in this area. I would love to see the kid go right to the bullpen and stay there to become a dominate closer. They say his change up is pretty good too.

Eric De La Rosa, OF, Grossmont College- tall lanky kid who has tons of raw power but is a superior athlete with speed too. Reminds me a lot of Dexter Fowler only with a better arm and defense. Keep an eye on this kid as he harnesses his athletic ability. I think he will be a huge riser in two years.

Jeremiah Banks, INF/OF, Fresno State- another speed, power, athlete. Similar to De La Rosa without as much power but love the speed/power combo in the future. He, like De La Rosa, need to learn to control their ability and reduce the strike outs as well. I'm not sure where he lands position wise but I think the kid can play most anywhere with his athletic ability.

Tarik Skubal, LHP, Seattle U- A hard throwing lefty who had TJ surgery in 2017 but got back this year and pitched good but will do better in year 2 in the after TJ surgery. Had 106 SO in 80 innings but his BB took off as well this year at 56. I think that has to do with coming back from the surgery. He was projected to go much earlier than we got him so I think we got a bargain if he can continue to improve post TJ.

Thanks. Nice quick overview.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Hugh Smith, RHP, Whitworth College- Dude grew almost a foot and gained 10 MPH on his fast ball since his freshman season. Now at 6'10" he has a 97mph fast ball with good movement. Expectedly he has some control issues at this point but getting use to his body will help in this area. I would love to see the kid go right to the bullpen and stay there to become a dominate closer. They say his change up is pretty good too.
    a guy with an extra foot could be a huge advantage, remember that one pitcher that used some sort of skip tactic to jump off the mound and take an extra step? Now imagine a dude who can do it legally

Mize gets lit up and loses to Singer yesterday in game 1 of Auburn-Florida series. Seriously, does this surprise anybody?

I'm not going to trash the kid for it, nor am I going to worry about it either. Who knows where his mind is at. He's drafted #1 over all and he has a huge contract waiting for him as long as he doesn't get hurt at the end of his college season. He could have mentally checked out knowing he's got this contract as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I'm not going to trash the kid for it, nor am I going to worry about it either. Who knows where his mind is at. He's drafted #1 over all and he has a huge contract waiting for him as long as he doesn't get hurt at the end of his college season. He could have mentally checked out knowing he's got this contract as well.
    Wow, Ahoda, this is kind of what worried me most about this guy. He just doesn't have the stats against big time teams that he does against the little guys. If he "mentally checked out" as you stated then I am extremely worried about this kids make up against big time teams. Great pitchers rise against great competition. He should have been on an extra gear against a team and pitcher who are considered great also. As I said, he seems like an extremely nice kid but I hope he gets the killer instinct soon.

I will root for the kid but he wasn't my choice at #1 and now that I've seen him crumble against a good team once again, I am really concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    Wow, Ahoda, this is kind of what worried me most about this guy. He just doesn't have the stats against big time teams that he does against the little guys. If he "mentally checked out" as you stated then I am extremely worried about this kids make up against big time teams. Great pitchers rise against great competition. He should have been on an extra gear against a team and pitcher who are considered great also. As I said, he seems like an extremely nice kid but I hope he gets the killer instinct soon.

I will root for the kid but he wasn't my choice at #1 and now that I've seen him crumble against a good team once again, I am really concerned.
    I understand, but that's why I said I don't know where his mind is at. You ever play a game of tackle football and realize if you get hurt you won't be able to go to work and you won't get paid so you play gingerly? Maybe he had a bad game. Most scouts and pundits say he was the #1 prospect in the draft, unfortunately the year we get the #1 is the year the draft sucks. Just gotta hope the kid ends up being more JV then Appel.

I almost feel like Avila got talked into this pick by the media instead of going with his head and Bart. One headline I saw was something to the affect of Avila would be an idiot to pass on Mize. Several other headlines inferred the same thing. Think Al was a bit shy about being called an idiot by not taking Mize? Like you, I surely hope this kid pans out.

I feel like looking into a single start is a bit of a stretch for your reasoning hoog....

Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast