Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
    https://motorcitybengals.com/2018/05...report-week-5/

Tigers have so much pitching it's crazy. Adding Mize will just be the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post

Tigers have so much pitching it's crazy. Adding Mize will just be the icing on the cake.
    Pitching is definatly the strength at this moment. Hopefully it all works out to get us a good overall team someday soonish.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post

Mize scares the crap out of me. He has had some arm issues and lately he was roughed up. I also saw a stat where his record completely sucks against top teams. I have always been a fan of the HS lefty Libatore but I just read his MPH has started to dip during the season. Indication of arm issues? This really sucks that the year we have a number one pick and there isn't a clear cut player. I'm going to have to start digging again for information these top players. The rankings on sites are all over the place. Most got on board with Mize but now with him tailing off a bit (playing better teams?) it will be interesting to see where everyone goes. There is a catcher (??) in college out there that snuck onto a lot of boards top 5 rankings so I'll be checking him out as well.

So, Iím off the Casey Mize boat. I just went in and looked at his stats this year, which are nothing to sneeze at, but what a difference once he started hitting good teams. He started out with a 5-0 record and a 1.94 era but it was against the likes of Longwood College, Bryant University, BYU, and Northeastern College. He had a great first game when the competition got a little better against Texas A&M but after those first 5 games he is 4-3 with an earned run average over 4.00 so itís a huge difference. He is still getting his strike outs and still keeping his base on balls down but with the injury history and now this, I donít think I would take him with the first pick in the draft.

In looking into Mize more, I went back and looked at the other top projected picks. Nick Madrigal can sure hit the ball but itís usually for singles. He has no extra base hit power. He also doesnít steal bases (4) which to me HAS to be done if you donít have any power. The worst part with him though, for me, is heís projected as only a 2BÖ..which is a nice way to say heís not a great fielder. I canít condone taking a 2B first overall. Itís like taking a RG in the NFL draft with the first pick. I also didnít like Alec Bohm from Wichita State. He seems like a lumbering player that will be destined to 1B or DH. No versatility in the field. He has a decent bat but not extraordinary. So, I leave him off my list too.

This left me with two choices Iíd choose from if I were the Tigers:

1. Matt Liberatore, LHP, HS- Itís been said his velocity has waned but truth be told, he started the season throwing 95-97 when in years past he was more 89-91 mph. He has been consistent lately around 90-92 mph with touching 95 on occasion when needed in the game. He has been very successful in this speed range and just showing he can hit 95-97 mph makes me thing as he grows (currently 6í5Ē 200lbs) his velocity will most likely increase as well. I was afraid it might be a dead arm syndrome but sounds like itís just heís more comfortable throwing at that velocity. Hereís the other thing I really like with this kid, he has developed a slider to go with his plus curve and change up. Itís said that the pitch is coming along nicely and could develop into a really nice pitch for him. A tall lefty with projectable high velocity, good control, and a four pitch arsenal would be a very good pick at #1.

2. Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech- Yea, we are stacked with catchers but this kid could be a special one and he is very athletic so could be groomed in the OF or 1B as well. His bat has grown and keeps growing. He has increased his average (.371), HRís (15 already this year), and his strike out to balls has been excellent this year as opposed to years past (49/37). He has always been able to keep a very good on base percentage and is at .480 this year which is incredible. His slugging has increased as well with a .699 this year. He has really nice size at 6í3Ē 225lbs for a catcher and hitter in the MLB. You donít normally see catchers going #1 overall but this kid is an exception with his talents behind and at the plate. His athletic ability is also a huge plus for the kid. I would be very happy with him as the #1 overall.

why can't there be a consensus superstar the year we get #1

Analytics departments love him because of his approach at the plate that led to more walks than strikeouts in 2017, and while he doesn't have a ton of over-the-fence power, he makes consistent hard contact and is a legitimate extra-base threat. His speed and instincts should allow him to continue to be a base stealer.

While Madrigal has played mostly second base in deference to Cadyn Grenier at Oregon State, some feel he could handle shortstop if need be. If not, he has the chance to be a Gold Glove caliber second baseman in the future. Even with the injury, he should land squarely in the top 10 in June.

Everyone is hoping heís the next Altuve

So, all indications are that the first pick will be Mize. I really hope I'm wrong and Bart/Liberatore don't become the stars I think they will. I guess we will find out tonight if the prognosticators are right about us taking Mize.

BTW, the inconsistent Mize continued his ways with a 4 run loss to Tex A&M to end the season and then a spectacular 12 strike out, 7 inning, opening round game against Army. I hope to see this change when he hits the minors.

Happy Mize day!

Just donít pick the Darko of the draft. It seems like thereís some great talent in the project top 5-6.

Mize it is!

Wow I didn't know Kyler Murray played baseball, let alone was top 10 draft talent, I think of him as the little speed QB set to replace Baker Mayfield this year

edit: holy **** Rod just said the same thing on the broadcast

Also, damn, the Royals have 4 top 40 picks, that's crazy

looks like fangraphs nailed our 2nd pick, or BYB did idunno

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2018/5/...igers-al-avila

Parker has a sweet left-handed swing that, despite its length at times, shows signs of quickness and loft. With his 6í4/195 frame, itís easy to see why scouts think there could be power coming. He has a high leg kick that helps him generate bat speed and plus-raw power. There is some inconsistency in his game, which is why heís not a top-of-the-draft prospect.
    Tall very athletic build, some present strength but lots of physical projection. Very fast, 6.51 in the sixty with easy acceleration on the bases. High level centerfield tools on defense, has big range with long strides and very good arm strength. Left handed hitter, loose quick hands, gap to gap approach at present and will willingly hit the other way with some impact, has a late hand drop load that will occasionally impact his timing, will keep improving offensively with additional strength.

Well, Mize it is as it is in the books now. I know I haven't been his biggest fan going in but now that he's a Tiger I am back on board. Seems like a great kid, BTW, in all his interviews. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that he stays healthy and can figure out how to beat the better competition. Do you think he starts in Lakeland or Erie?

Parker Meadows was a gift in the second round. This kid has a few correctable holes (mostly the longer swing) but he is a stud like his brother when it comes to the speed/defense package. I actually think Parker has more power potential than his brother. Don't get down on him for a low average for the first few years, as he adjusts his swing a bit, because he will be stealing bases, playing outstanding defense, and showing off the power. At 6'4" and under 200lbs the kid will fill out and add even more power. Good pick there but it won't be verified for 4 years as he grows in the minors.

Im a fan of both picks as well.

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast