NC 9.950 mil
    Mercer 5.25 mil
    Greene 4.0
    Boyd 2.6 mil
    Hardy 1.3 mil
    Norris 1.275

Everybody else is 700,000 or less
    Tigers rank 21 in payroll
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Exactly, give Nick the QO and if he takes it move him to 1B and trade him next July. Whatís 15 million if they get a real prospect?

NC might take a QO if he isn't traded. Look what happened to Moustakis. He thought he would get a big pay day and signed for much less.
    Last edited by JackB; 07-30-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Exactly, give Nick the QO and if he takes it move him to 1B and trade him next July. Whatís 15 million if they get a real prospect?
    because he will probably not sign it and sit out until June 1 before signing. And you would be very petty at that point and you don't want to get on bad terms with his agent, who is Scott Boras.

Nick's situation is complicated if he's not traded so I think he's gone.

Not signing till the QO expires hasnít been a great move for a lot of guys. Iím not worried about making Boras mad, Tigers need to be aggressive and stop giving away their players for peanuts. Boras will work with whoever spends the money and that wonít be the Tigers for a couple years. Smart play for NC will be to take the QO and try and build a better resume for the next deadline/offseason. Hopefully someone ponies up a halfway decent prospect and NC can sign wherever he wants next year.

Not signing till the QO expires hasnít been a great move for a lot of guys. Iím not worried about making Boras mad, Tigers need to be aggressive and stop giving away their players for peanuts. Boras will work with whoever spends the money and that wonít be the Tigers for a couple years. Smart play for NC will be to take the QO and try and build a better resume for the next deadline/offseason. Hopefully someone ponies up a halfway decent prospect and NC can sign wherever he wants next year.
    He's not happy here and wants out. He's also not worth $15mil per season and he's not worth a high dollar prospect. Avila should trade him for whatever he can get now. You tag NC at the end of the season, he won't sign and will sit out. You're not doing him nor the Tigers any favors by doing that. And don't piss off Boras because he's a prick and won't ever let it go and you won't be getting his players again.

Negotiations require the ability to make the person on the other side of the table at least believe you will walk away if you think you can get more otherwise you have no leverage and teams know youíll blink eventually. If Iím AA, I donít blink on Casty. If the worse thing that happens is that you donít get some future bench SS that might not make it out of AAA then so be it. Teams are over inflating their prospects, remember Casty was once a top 15 prospect. These guys are lottery tickets.

Boras is not an emotional guy. He will deal with whoever pays his guys and in a couple years thatís gonna be the Tigers.

Avila blinked. We gave away our players for the next round of AAA almost good enough prospects.

Avila blinked. We gave away our players for the next round of AAA almost good enough prospects.
    He certainly didn't get the better of the deals or a marquee player but seems to have gotten market or just below market value for the two guys he had to trade. The two guys from Atlanta, at least have upside to make it a better deal. The two from the Cubbies are just Farmer and VerHagen.

Itís was a low stakes game of poker for the Tigers. Sometimes you call the bluff just to show the other guy youíre willing to. Those two pitchers arenít going to make the team better but NC makes the Cubbies better. The stakes where higher for the Cubs and Avila folded rather than call their bluff. Itís not a big deal but it doesnít bode well for future dealings.

NC makes the Cubs worse, the fact that we got anything for him makes it worthwhile, I just wish we tried for more positional lottery tickets instead of more arms

Three really hot players at AA in the last 10 games that should move up soon:

Paredes (3B) hitting .400 in those 10 games which has him up to .270 for the year. The best thing though is only 3 K's in the last 40 at bats and still playing a solid 3B.

Alcantara (SS) hitting .333 and is up to just shy of .250 while putting up stellar SS play (.971 fielding percentage). Like Paredes he is not striking out 8 BB to only 5 K's.

Castro (starting pitcher) has a 4-1 record 2.54 ERA and 56K in 46 innings.

Love to see all three moved up to Toledo.

On a side note at Toledo, I see Harrison is back and playing. I really wanted to sign him this off season but now, this late and losing as we are, we need to release him. I don't want him taking time from Castro/Goodrum at 2B. I know we will need to eat some money but just don't remove a young prospect for an older one year rental.

Riley Greene has been promoted to West Michigan. He will probably finish out the year there and start off there next season. Really interested to see how he handles playing against pitchers that are 2/3 years older then he is.

Also, Skubal is a monster. He's severely underrated in the prospect rankings. I'm adding him with Paredes as screw jobs not being in top 100.

Excert from mlb.com on last night's start for Skubal.

Skubal is the definition of an arrow pointing upward right now, as Jonathan Mayo discussed in the latest MLB Pipeline Inbox. After striking out the first six batters he faced on just 26 pitches on Wednesday, Skubal rolled through five shutout innings with just one hit allowed and 10 strikeouts. That gives Skubal double-digit strikeouts in six of his last nine outings. The 22-year-old now owns a 1.86 ERA over six starts in Double-A after posting a 2.58 ERA over 15 starts with Class A Advanced Lakeland. While much of the attention in Detroit's system still falls on Casey Mize and Matt Manning, Skubal is dripping with talent and momentum.

Being from the west side of the state I am happy to have greene coming in. I will definitely get out to see him play here real soon.

2015 SEASON STATS

CATCHES- 12
    YARDS- 122
    TD'S-

LIONS W/L 0-2

Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast