Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magic Johnson BUSTED

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...-teammates-too
    Magic Johnson joins the cavalcade of those saying, essentially, hey LeBron James, real men don't play with superstars.

"We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about," Johnson said at Baruch College in New York, according to Bloomberg News. "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

This past weekend, Jordan said at a celebrity golf event that he never would have played with Johnson or Bird, his two main rivals during his playing days.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry [Bird], called up Magic [Johnson] and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. The interview aired on the NBC telecast of the event. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

TrueHoop reader Mike, however, takes special exception to the idea that Johnson would stick with a mediocre roster over playing with superstars. He e-mails:

As much as I admire and respect these players, it becomes hard to take them seriously when none of them had situations comparable to LeBron, and all of the them got to play with other great, Top-50 All-Time players. The quest to play with other elite talent is basically universal amongst stars, be it Wilt going to join Hal Greer and later Jerry West and Elgin Baylor or all the way up to Kobe openly flirting with the Bulls and Clippers and threatening trade demands until the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol.

The fact that LeBron simply exercised his rights as a free agent to leave Cleveland to do what countless other players have done, rather than demand trades or refuse to play for the team that drafted him, should not be held against him.

I'm not even a fan of LeBron, but at this point I think he's getting dumped on pretty unfairly.

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991:

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

Then Mike gets to comparing the Lakers who played with Johnson in his first seven years to the Cavaliers who played with James over the same period. Johnson's teammates, in aggregate, had:

* Two first team All-Rookie selections (Byron Scott, James Worthy)
    * 11 All-Star appearances (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar seven times, Norm Nixon twice, Worthy, Jamaal Wilkes)
    * Four All-NBA first team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
    * Two All-NBA second team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
    * Five All-Defensive first team selections (Michael Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar twice)
    * Four All-Defensive second team selections (Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar once)
    * One MVP Award (Abdul-Jabbar)
    * In addition, Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Wilkes, Nixon, and Cooper all got votes for MVP at one point in time or the other during Magic's first seven years, and Cooper won defensive player of the year in Johnson's eighth year.

Mike does a similar analysis on James' Cavs' rosters:

* Zero first team All-Rookie Selections
    * Two All-Star game appearances (Mo Williams, Zydrunas llgauskas)
    * Zero All-NBA first team selection
    * Zero All-NBA second team selections
    * Zero All-Defensive first team selections
    * One All-Defensive second team selection (Anderson Vareajo)
    * Zero MVP Awards

Mike adds, in conclusion:

In order to have a situation even comparable to Magic's, LeBron would have needed to be drafted onto, say, Tim Duncan's team (to parallel Abdul-Jabbar), played the last six years with a prime Bruce Bowen (to parallel Michael Cooper), and had the Cavs draft Danny Granger in his third year (as a parallel to Worthy), and that's ignoring guys like Scott/Wilkes/McAdoo etc.

I mean, let's be real, if LeBron had been in a situation like that does anyone doubt that he would have stayed? That he would already have multiple titles and that we'd be talking about his place amongst the top 10-15 players of all-time instead of dumping on his competitive fire? Magic had it easy, which make his comments seem absolutely ridiculous.

I'll acknowledge there's a chicken and egg thing here. I can hear the argument now: If James had been a better leader, then the Cavaliers would have won more titles which would have earned his teammates more accolades. Even leaving aside entirely the reality that James has been about as productive as any player in NBA history, let's concede that point, and merely say: It's still not even close.

In fact, there's a debate to be had about whether James' current SuperFriends team in Miami is as good as the one Johnson played for. Is Dwyane Wade more valuable than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? It's an insane question without a real answer, but I think we can agree there are strong cases to be made on both sides of the equation, and though Wade has a much better PER (around 30 last season) Abdul-Jabbar's was still insanely high in the mid-20s through Johnson's first seven seasons, and Abdul-Jabbar almost never missed a game.

What it really comes down to is that Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson can say they wouldn't have stooped to seeking out teammates as good as Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. But bear in mind they also never had to confront the reality of seven years with the kinds of rosters James played on in Cleveland.
    Last edited by Wade>You; 07-21-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    PSD's Nick Naylor

PSD's Longest-tenured HEAT fan

Just in: 40K posts in 2 years, all facepalms and baiting. Get a life you loser.

R.I.P. Clara

[IMG]http://oi39.tinypic.com/e98dok.jpg[/IMG/]

All the legends are scared of Heat dynasty. They are all scared now that LeBron and Wade can have more rings than them. I am damm sure LeBron doesn't give a **** on what they are saying. Championships will talk. He knows it pretty well. Period.

Now the lakers have a shot of getting chris Paul via trade, and they would have a super star team. Then magic would look dum once again, although I think cp3 will end up in new York?
    FEAR US!!!

LOL nice find. Great read.

damn I hope Lakers won't be able to land CP3... that would suck for us

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by kntresistheheat View Post
    Now the lakers have a shot of getting chris Paul via trade, and they would have a super star team. Then magic would look dum once again, although I think cp3 will end up in new York?
    and with Paul demanding a trade, Bron would still look like a a hole

Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by lavilevi23 View Post
    damn I hope Lakers won't be able to land CP3... that would suck for us
    Those Lakers have to look out for their legacies, so no way they let a player that can outshine Kobe play on his team.

Besides, everyone knows they would be eating their words and conceding that their team is incapable of beating the Heat if they trade for CP3.
    PSD's Nick Naylor

PSD's Longest-tenured HEAT fan

Just in: 40K posts in 2 years, all facepalms and baiting. Get a life you loser.

R.I.P. Clara

[IMG]http://oi39.tinypic.com/e98dok.jpg[/IMG/]

9. 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM

10. 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Nice find. i've been thinking this all day every since i read what Magic said. What a douche
    <<<<Home of the Giants
    SF Giants -
    Heat -
    49ers - x5
    Sharks -
    Texas A&M (CFB) - Johnny "football" Manziel!!!!
    Seton Hall (CBB) - One day........I miss Dehere
    Current favorite players - D Wade, Patrick Willis, Buster Posey.
    All time fave's - Glen Rice/ZO, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice

12. 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM

13. 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Unproven rookie = back to back MVP in his prime?
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

Quote Originally Posted by LeWade>Kobe View Post
    LOL!! Why does this make them look bad at all? Are you a Laker fan buddy, just angry Magic just got caught slippin on his own words from 19 years ago when there was an actual comparison?
    exactly, this thread is clearly relevant to what Magic said earlier today. He played with the freaking showtime lakers and he's hating on Lebron. hilarious. You dont have to be a Heat fan to realize Magic is talking out of his ***
    <<<<Home of the Giants
    SF Giants -
    Heat -
    49ers - x5
    Sharks -

Nice!

What i find really funny is his lakers have the most stacked team in the league over recent years and a payroll near 90 million with a salry cap of 58 mil. Where does Magic get off even talking on this subject.
    <<<<Home of the Giants
    SF Giants -
    Heat -
    49ers - x5
    Sharks -

Magic did not wait seven years to change teams to win a ring, no matter what nobody says. I see after about ten years in the nba you go to a team and try to win a ring. But L.James is a superstar it was too early to give up like that, MJ never give up, the Bulls drafted Scottie.

Quote Originally Posted by marvotolduso View Post
    Magic did not wait seven years to change teams to win a ring, no matter what nobody says. I see after about ten years in the nba you go to a team and try to win a ring. But L.James is a superstar it was too early to give up like that, MJ never give up, the Bulls drafted Scottie.
    You didn't understand the argument that the artical was crafting, did you?

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast